Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in an apartment so i dont want to shake the place down but i want try to get down to 20hz.
The room is half kitchen half living room. total room is 15' 4" x 22 but the theater portion is 15'4" x 13
the other thing is i dont have a workshop w/ woodworking tools to build a box.
I'm looking at trying to find an old sub on craigslist that i can reuse the box.
I've read a bit about the SVS SB12-Plus (or the NSD is all i see now) and i'm tempted to just buy that... but building is so satisfying
Supposing I can get a hold of a box what would be a good woofer / amp combo for my situation?
Is recycling a box a good idea?
What do i need to consider as far a the structure for the box for good sound / resonance or whatever?
You like that 'resonance' bit there? i'm trying to act like i know what i'm doing / talking about... lol
thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
fusseli, the creatives look cool but i just dont have the facilities to make the cabinets. To make a decent box i'd think i'd need straight cuts and that means a table saw right?
Thanks for shooting down my SVS idea. i can put that out of my head now.
You make some sic speakers homie! Your build projects are inspiring.

Jim, I might be able to pull off the DIY flat pack. I can screw and glue it's the cutting i can't do.

What would be a good single 10" woofer / amp combo?

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
sweet

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I like your tower sub. you get more volume in your cabinet with a smaller footprint. that would be good in my space. I gotta find a way to make a cabinet.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
would i be ok with just the SDX10? what will the APR's going to give me?

·
Premium Member
188 Posts
The sdx10 is a very nice woofer. It'll probably do just fine in a small space. The APR's will allow you to tune lower in a size-constrained box, where normal ports won't fit.

Look around and see if you can find a way to make your own box. Saves money, and increases options. For example, build a 16" cube, use the Dayton 12HO, and two CSS APR12's, 500W amp, and you're within your budget easily. Pretty good setup in a smallish box.

Fusseli's first recommendation is a very good one, but the enclosure is on backorder till early July.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ok, i'm gonna make a box and use CSS Quartet10: 1 SDX10, 2 APR10, 1 BASH300
they recomend 68litres but what if i go down to 50litres like you sugested for the dayton / apr expamle
that will be ok?
I was thinking about making it thinner like 14" x 18.5 x 16 that's ok right?
but i wont really know for sure till it try it huh?

·
Premium Member
188 Posts
That'll be ok, just won't get the low extension like the recommended box size. If my sim is right, add 4 washers to each PR, and you'll end up tuned to a little above 28Hz. Modify the amp for no boost, and an Fc of 23Hz to protect the woofer when you get content below tuning.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
washers like the weighted discs that come with the CSS QUARTET10?
I'm going to have to do more research cuz i dont know what any of that means lol
thanks for you input.
this is great!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
build a 16" cube, use the Dayton 12HO, and two CSS APR12's, 500W amp,
Should i just do this? it's a smaller foot print which i need.
thanks for your help homie

·
Premium Member
188 Posts
Max output is practically identical. The Dayton goes lower by a little, and requires the bigger amp to have the same max output. It's a toss up really. Choosing would be tough. Btw, I have the parts and will be building the Dayton box very soon.

Here are the numbers:
Dayton 12HO
Max Output W/ Filter 110.34
Relative -3 dB Point 22.95 Hz
Relative -6 dB Point 20.54 Hz
Relative -10 dB Point 18.73 Hz

CSS SDX10
Max Output W/ Filter 110.18
Relative -3 dB Point 27.34 Hz
Relative -6 dB Point 25.4 Hz
Relative -10 dB Point 23.59 Hz

Good luck! And yes, the weighted discs are the fender washers that are included with the PR.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
When you talk about the SDX10 are you refering to the CSS QUARTET10 Subwoofer Kit with the APRs?

eff it i'll do the CSS quartet10 but in a 16" box

I was at home depot they have wood pannels that i can fit into my 4dr civic that will give me enought to get 6 16" (or less) sides for like $24 i just need to make a saw guide and i can slap this bi#$% together. I think i'll just screw it together for now. it's my first build and i'm curious on how it will sound before i spend too much time gluing (i'll have to get bar clamps) and sanding and painting.

what do you do with all thoes weight discs? just screw them to the sides?
can i just throw a bag of sand in there?

what program do you use for these simulations you do?

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
You'll want a sturdy and properly built box for it to sound good as well as look good. In your position I'd really suggest buying a prefab box as opposed to rigging something up...

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
thx. looks cool. I just can't tell what fields I enter information and what field are calculated. I’m sure there are forum threads on this. i'll look around. very cool!

I found this router on craigslist
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/tls/3078442261.html
i hope it will do what i need. what's it called? plunge routing? to cut the circles out.
I guess it makes a lot of dust. That’s not great for where I was planning on doing this. It’s a shared wherehouse/ work space where my friend and the other tenants build motorcycles / hotrods and metal work. then my a$$ comes in and blows the place out with MDS dust. Lol
I can use a jig saw I guess. The holes won’t be pretty but if I go slow and careful it'll still work right? Then I can figure out where I can do the routing to round the edges.

·
Premium Member
188 Posts
That is not a plunge router. That's a fixed base. I know folks who can make plunge cuts with these, but I believe it's much safer with the right tool. Hold out and get yourself a plunge model, especially if you're new to routing.

For the spreadsheet, I believe the entry fields are color-coded. You can enter numbers in any field with 'blue' text. Start by entering only the woofer parameters, and see what the program calculates as an ideal enclosure. Then you can enter new numbers in the box parameters, or just play with the numbers in the main graph using the arrows. Pretty slick.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.