Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First let me say I won't be doing anything REAL for a while. I'm waiting on a bonus from work (mid to late Feb '14) and will then purchase a new Pioneer Elite SC-71 receiver to replace my old and limping Pio VSX-43TX. Till then I plan to read and then read some more to work out a strategy for tweaking in the new configuration. The reason I'm starting this thread is to get some back and forth on that strategy while I wait. The reason this is in the REW forum is that everything outside of the sub will be on the back of MCACC and the limitations set by a 9 band graphic EQ with the lowest band @63Hz. So all I have liberty to really sink my teeth into is integrating the sub.

First things first - my setup - sans receiver:
virtually all input from a WDTV Live Hub media server (Video MKV's; Audio FLAC's)

Speakers
  • Front's - Infinty RSb's

Introduced: 1978
    Dimensions: 63 x 35 x 25 cm
    Bass: 1 x 25 cm
    Mids: 1 x 12 cm
    Highs: 1 x EMIT (Yup, still kick'n with the original diaphragms)
    Enclosure Type: Acoustic Suspension
    Suggested for amplifiers with: 35-200 Watts per channel
    Frequency range: 45 Hz - 32 kHz
    Crossover frequencies: 600 Hz, 4000 Hz
    Suggested price (Then - pair): $580
    Woofers rehung in Late '90's and in good shape.
    http://www.infinity-classics.de/models/Reference-series-1978-klein/index-Reference-klein.htm

• Center - Infinity Video-1

Frequency Response: 58 Hz - 20 kHz +-3dB
    Sensitivity: 89 dB @ 2.87 volts, 1 meter
    Power Rating: Use w/amps rated between 5 - 100 watts RMS for Center Channel
    Enclosure Type: Acoustic Suspension
    Crossover Frequency: 4.5 kHz
    Nominal Impedance: 8 ohms
    Drivers: Dual 5-1/2" Polyproplene woofers, 1/2" Polycarbonate tweeter.
    Magnetically shielded for video applications. (An old spec dating back to CRT's for you youngsters)
    Dimensions: 18-1/4" wide, 7" high, 6" deep

• Surrounds - Infinity SM-65

Power Rating: 10-100 Watts
    Freq Response: 78Hz-25kHz +/- 3db
    Crossover: 4.5 kHz
    Efficiency: 94 db SPL, 1 watt/1 Meter
    Impedance: Compatible with 4 to 8 Ohms
    Drivers: 6-1/2" Polypropylene Coated Woofer, 3/4" High Output Polycell Tweeter
    Dimensions: 8" wide x 13-1/4" High x 7-1/2" Deep
    Rear Ported
    http://www.infinity-classics.de/technik/manuals/owner-manual-sm65-85-105-115-125-155.pdf

• Sub - Dayton Audio Titanic MK? 15" - 1000 watt class D

the latest incarnation - http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-t1504k-15-titanic-mk-4-1000-watt-subwoofer-kit--300-764

I will be using a Dell Studio LT w/HDMI out. Plans are to get the UMIK-1 from Cross-Spectrum and a MiniDSP in a box with the advanced 2.1 plugin.

I'm thinking that after MCACC I can use the X-Curve function in the 71 from 2K up and a little work on the channel EQ's below to effect a full range house curve then use the MiniDSP and the one PEQ on the sub for the rest shelved @30Hz.

Questions:
  1. Is the Adv.2.1 the preferred plugin?
  2. Should I take the time to flatten the response of the RSb's to the extent possible with the MID and HIGH pots on the x-over? If so, when in the process?
  3. Thoughts on a HP filter on the sub @10-15Hz?

·
Premium Member
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
One more question:

The sub has an LFE input and left & right line inputs. Which is considered the best?

·
Premium Member
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
One more question:

The sub has an LFE input and left & right line inputs. Which is considered the best?
Never mind. Found the manual and answered it myself.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I'm not familiar with that plugin, but to address the other to, I'd measure the speaker first without any processing sent to get things as flat as possible with the on board adjustments. The goal should be to measure the speaker, not the room, so a large space would be best for this. (Is outside possible?)
The titanic should not need a subsonic filter since it's sealed. Only if you add some crazy ~20HZ EQ boost would you need to roll off the lowest octaves.

·
Premium Member
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm not familiar with that plugin, but to address the other to, I'd measure the speaker first without any processing sent to get things as flat as possible with the on board adjustments. The goal should be to measure the speaker, not the room, so a large space would be best for this. (Is outside possible?)
Maybe - when I get the new receiver. (and it warms up:sn:)

The titanic should not need a subsonic filter since it's sealed. Only if you add some crazy ~20HZ EQ boost would you need to roll off the lowest octaves.
That's what I was thinking. That'll give me one more PEQ band in case I need one.

Thanks,
Patrick

·
Premium Member
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
With no confirmation on the miniDSP plugin, I'll have to assume the Adv. 2.1 is right.

Preliminary order of ops:

1. Level the response of the fronts with X-over pots. Use a gated measurement in room per THIS article.
  2. EQ the sub to a mild house curve shelved @ 30Hz.
  3. Run Full Auto MCACC - All Channel Adj to set Speaker levels and and distances.
  4. Set all speakers to small and re-run MCACC - Keep SP System - EQ Pro & S-Wave to get MCACC to do what it can for the standing waves in the room.
  5. Set the Pioneer 'X-Curve' function as a precursor to establishing a full range house curve.
  6. Use REW to effect the remainder of the house curve in all speakers between the lower 2kHz limit of the X-curve and the Sub's x-over point. Normalize to L-Front
  7. Audition and repeat sub EQ, X-Curve, and REW on speakers till satisfied.

Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just got the word today. Bonus checks will be cut tomorrow.:jump: Got an appointment to audition a Pio Elite SC-72 Wednesday. If all goes well I'll place an order then for the 71.:spend: The guy says he can get one if it's available next day so I'm thinking by Friday....

I have the UMIK-1 and the MiniDSP is waiting at the PO to be picked up tomorrow by my wife.

Order of ops may change a bit. I'll EQ the sub flat prior to MCACC since it'll try to undo the house curve to make it flat with the rest of the system. After MCACC I'll re-EQ to the house curve.

I'll have all day Saturday to play but Sunday my wife and I have been invited to a Mardi Gras Ball in Mobile.

Laissez les bons temps rouler:yay::fireworks1::fireworks2::fireworks3:

·
Registered
74 Posts
Congratulations on the purchase! I know it's exciting. I recently picked up a Pioneer Elite myself and some new speakers. I personally am finding that MCACC is a little bright for my taste. It sounds good, but there is just a hair of low end that is missing and too much hiss for the volume level I prefer to listen too.

Pioneer's MCACC is definitely more geared towards movie surround sound results than 2 channel audio. I'm hoping to use REW and dedicate a memory bank for a two channel audio configuration.

I'm out of town till Friday night. So like you my Saturday and Sunday are going to be set aside for calibrating. I've already warned the fiancé. :T

·
Premium Member
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well the SC-71 is in its new home. Managed to get a nearfield sweep on all the speakers. Set the crossover for the sub to get the best view of what it could do. Really just was curious if I had the setup right.

I'll be doing the setup tomorrow followed by a first stab at EQing the sub.

Attachments

·
Registered
74 Posts
Congrats on the new receiver making its way home. Pio's are great. The D3's really are as good as the reviews say.

·
Premium Member
1,562 Posts
Well the SC-71 is in its new home. Managed to get a nearfield sweep on all the speakers. Set the crossover for the sub to get the best view of what it could do. Really just was curious if I had the setup right.

I'll be doing the setup tomorrow followed by a first stab at EQing the sub.
I took a look at the .mdat file attached and noticed that the FR main seems to be the opposite polarity of the other 4 main speakers. You may want to check your wiring to confirm that the +/- wires are not reversed either at the speaker or the amp.

Below is the IR chart for the FL and FR to show what I am referring to. The two IRs appear to be a vertically flipped instead of overlaying each other.
ir temp.jpg

·
Premium Member
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I took a look at the .mdat file attached and noticed that the FR main seems to be the opposite polarity of the other 4 main speakers. You may want to check your wiring to confirm that the +/- wires are not reversed either at the speaker or the amp.

Below is the IR chart for the FL and FR to show what I am referring to. The two IRs appear to be a vertically flipped instead of overlaying each other.
View attachment 46843
Good catch except, check again, it was the LF and MCACC caught it, too. Finished the MCACC yesterday. Little hum in the sub so I had to break out an old Iso xformer to address that. Tried the MiniDSP but that seemed to have an adverse affect on the low end output. I plan to spend next weekend on the sub and that will probably involve running MCACC agian. All-in-all I'd have to say the day went very well. BTW the Pio. D3's are fantastic.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts