Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for a budget system, preferabley build my own but HTIB I guess if its upgradeable. dont care if its 2.1 for now for I want the best bang for the buck and can always upgrade. Looking for something that sounds good for not only movies but the stereo/cd's. Would like a reciever/speakers/and CD player. Do not at this time have a blue ray or DVD player worth a either so if possible would like that too, if works as CD player then wont need that the DVD/blue ray would work. What are my best bets for around a grand?? I've heard the avs systems are good and reasonabley priced also the Yambeka 5-speaker system. But as I said I dont need the 5.1 as of yet unless it fits in the budget. Would rather spend more on two speakers and a center. Would also like to add 2 speakers on another channel for the patio, nothing fancy just so have music there for BBQ darts etc... Thanks guys

If it helps have a 61A650 on the way and Time warner HD/DVR,
Old school Pioneer Reciever
thats about it everything else is junk.

Thanks again!!

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
First of all ... Welcome :wave:

Looking for a budget system, preferabley build my own but HTIB I guess if its upgradeable. dont care if its 2.1 for now for I want the best bang for the buck and can always upgrade...
After comparing HTIB the only systems that are decent are this Onkyo's ... they don't come with a DVD/CD player, but you can get one cheap for less than $100 or a BluRay for around $250 :yes:

Good thing is that you can upgrade the speakers without changing the receiver (like some other HTIB systems where you need to replace everything) :yes:

Your other option will be to get an AVR, a pair of speakers and DVD/CD ... in my opinion, you'll be better getting an HTIB to start and upgrade little by little :yes:

... I've heard the avs systems are good and reasonabley priced also the Yambeka 5-speaker system.
I read a lot of good things about SVS sytems (don't own any of them), Yambeka are okay, but I still go with the Onkyo (you'll get AVR and sub, and a better frequency response too) :yes:

Would also like to add 2 speakers on another channel for the patio, nothing fancy just so have music there for BBQ darts etc...
Will you be playing movies and music at the same time??? ... if you say yes, the Onkyo HTIB won't work because the AVR doesn't have a Zone 2 amp (you'll need a different AVR); but if you say no ... you'll be okay, but you'll need a speaker selector for the outside speakers, and in this case you can run 4-8 pair of speakers depending on the selector :yes:

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Hello Brian, Welcome to the Shack!

Well, my personal recommendation is to go with an Onkyo 806 Receiver. It offers the best bang for buck right now and is very future proof.
For speakers and a sub have a look at SVS, SVS right now has hnds down the best subs for the money on the market and there speakers are very good as well.
Now of course it really depends on your budget so lets find out what you want to spend first.

On a side note HTIB systems offer little bang for buck and you will be wanting to upgrade very soon after. Plus they usually don't have HDMI inputs.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Will you be playing movies and music at the same time??? ...
No but always a plus I guess

... and he needs a DVD/CD or BluRay player too
This mean a BluRay wont play cd's??
Your other option will be to get an AVR, a pair of speakers and DVD/CD ... in my opinion, you'll be better getting an HTIB to start and upgrade little by little
I guess right now I could use the old reciever, when I get home Ill let you know what it is, all I remember is that its pioneer, has a laser disk option so probally pretty old, those lasted what a week befor DVD took over lol. Has A/B channels for speakers up to 5.1 I think, cant remember if you can hook up a sub or not. If I can guess I could use it for now, no HDMI but guess I can wait for that, would it be better to try and use the reciever I have and buy better speakers now and a DVD/Blueray and what about upconverting, I heard it dont matter cause the TV does it anyway.

If not what would be my best for just a reciever and speakers. 2.1 is fine but would prefer 5.1, around a grand.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
If your on a small budget then I would recommend getting a good receiver and maybe two good speakers and a center channel for starters. Then add a sub next and finally the surround speakers last.

Here is why I dont think HTIB systems are worth it.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Tony

Here is why I dont think HTIB systems are worth it.
I've read that, that is actually why I became a member, to find out "What" Reciever and speakers to buy.

Thanks it was very informitive. I did forget about the wait on a sub though. so what 3 speakers and a reciever does everyone recomend?

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Tony

so what 3 speakers and a reciever does everyone recomend?
Right now SVS has some of the best subs for the money, They sell only on line and because of this you get a much better sub for the money. SVS also makes some nice speakers and so far is getting great reviews.
The Onkyo 806 is my choice for a receiver, its very future proof and has everything you can ask for.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Is the onkyo 606 and dv-sp405 a good reciever and dvd?

Found them for 389.99

accessories4less make-a-store/item/SR606SP405KIT/Onkyo/TX-SR606-Receiver-DV-SP405-HDMI-DVD-Player-BLACK/

It wont let me link it not enough post lol

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
With the 606, a BluRay or DVD player and SVS system you'll have a experience

everyone think SVS over the Klipsch Quintet SL Home Theater System? Is the http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/SR606SP405KIT/Onkyo/TX-SR606-Receiver-DV-SP405-HDMI-DVD-Player-BLACK/1.html not upconverting? I dont think it is but what do I know. Guess I will need that too then, I can through that in another budget I think lol, so whats a good BR or upconverting?

I think Im starting to get the "idea" lol, but not positive. I ask alot of questions lol, thats how I learn I guess.

And I was just looking at the HT-S6100 but for a little more looks like I get ALOT more

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
These speakers with the 606?? Or can I get better speakers for 650? I think this brings me to right around a grand, but no sub
Take a look at this specifications ....compare them and decide if is worth it the extra $300 for the sub and better response :yes:

Features:
• Five piece surround sound home theater system
• 0.75" aluminum dome tweeters and horn-loaded technology delivers lifelike performances
• 3.5" high-output woofers deliver room-filling bass
• Power handling: Quintet SL LCR: 50 watts (200 watts peak), Satellite: 50 watts (200 watts peak)
• Each speaker features easy keyhole wall mounting or place on a bookshelf using the pedestal feet

then look at this ... SVS

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
... so whats a good BR or upconverting?
Sorry I keep confussing you ... you need either a BluRay or an upconverting DVD not both (unless you want to spend more) :hide:

BluRay is around $250-$300 ... or you can get an upconverting DVD player for less than $100 is opt to you and your wallet (that's why I gave you the two options :bigsmile:)

I ask alot of questions lol, thats how I learn I guess....
That's the way I learned too :yes:

And I was just looking at the HT-S6100 but for a little more looks like I get ALOT more

That's the point Tony was making when he started the thread about "HTIB's" ...:yes:

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Sorry I keep confussing you ... you need either a BluRay or an upconverting DVD not both (unless you want to spend more)

BluRay is around $250-$300 ... or you can get an upconverting DVD player for less than $100 is opt to you and your wallet (that's why I gave you the two options )
I knew it was one or the other. Is BR that much better and what should I look for in both of them? There are so many BR players and Upconverting players with a huge price diff.

also was reading a review on the SVS SYSTEM

At 100 Hz and 100 dB, the woofer produced a little less than 4% THD. Small woofers do that. It's one of the reasons you should cross these speakers over to the subwoofer at a reasonably high frequency.

Thats simple to do yes??

1 - 20 of 49 Posts