Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where to begin. I recently have set out for a Home Theater Setup. For the last couple of months I have been putting together a HTPC and the results are amazing. I am slowly weening away from the cable company. If it wasn't for my wife's tv shows they would be out of my life completely. So I want to keep going with building things for myself and next on the list and is badly need is a good quality Subwoofer.

Right now I have a Onkyo Home Theater In a Box. I sounds alright but nothing mind shattering and well the bass really lacks in the system. What is the sad part is I dont have anything to compare it to. Most of my friends dont have high end stereo equipment and none of them invite me over so they can show it off either.

My plans/ what others have recommended through forums is to go with the Shiva X and Bash 500W amp. This fits my budget extremely well and have seen only one post where someone was disappointed with the end results.... but I think there was more to the story.

Wife has approved a sonotube design but will not like a bigger box in her living room. I often hear about the current one being in the way and looking awful. Its sliver and has to be powered by the receiver so it hasn't moved very far.

I have a email out to SonoTube asking them where I can purchase a 14" tube in Florida.

So what I need help with is designing the box/tube. I really dont know anything about tuning and to be honest never listened to a single note on a good system to show me what is good or bad. I was hoping you guys could give me specifications to fit my needs.

I would say we listen 40/40 music and movies and the other 20% Tv. The tv rarely ever gets cranked up but movie and music are listen to at elevated levels.

Any and all help will be appreciated. Thanks Josh

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Where to begin. I recently have set out for a Home Theater Setup. For the last couple of months I have been putting together a HTPC and the results are amazing. I am slowly weening away from the cable company. If it wasn't for my wife's tv shows they would be out of my life completely. So I want to keep going with building things for myself and next on the list and is badly need is a good quality Subwoofer.

Right now I have a Onkyo Home Theater In a Box. I sounds alright but nothing mind shattering and well the bass really lacks in the system. What is the sad part is I dont have anything to compare it to. Most of my friends dont have high end stereo equipment and none of them invite me over so they can show it off either.

My plans/ what others have recommended through forums is to go with the Shiva X and Bash 500W amp. This fits my budget extremely well and have seen only one post where someone was disappointed with the end results.... but I think there was more to the story.

Wife has approved a sonotube design but will not like a bigger box in her living room. I often hear about the current one being in the way and looking awful. Its sliver and has to be powered by the receiver so it hasn't moved very far.

I have a email out to SonoTube asking them where I can purchase a 14" tube in Florida.

So what I need help with is designing the box/tube. I really dont know anything about tuning and to be honest never listened to a single note on a good system to show me what is good or bad. I was hoping you guys could give me specifications to fit my needs.

I would say we listen 40/40 music and movies and the other 20% Tv. The tv rarely ever gets cranked up but movie and music are listen to at elevated levels.

Any and all help will be appreciated. Thanks Josh
Josh,

Welcome to the world of DIY subwoofer building. Your wife may end up hating this hobby. ;-)

Shiva-X2 works well in in ported cabinets, but you have to make them fairly large to handle the necessary port size needed. A 4 cubic foot box would do, which would require about a 54" tall 14" diameter tube, assuming a 6" port 32-33" long.

The second concern would be the amplifier. You need something called a subsonic filter on the amplifier when you use a driver in a ported cabinet. Under the port tuning frequency, the driver can suffer damage without one of these filters. The BASH 500W amp has one of those filters, but in stock form, it is incorrect for this type of subwoofer. Unless you are comfortable soldering on PCBs, and doing electronic work, I'd recommend that you consider one of the Dayton 500W amps that have the necessary filter, and do not require modification.

Give me a call on Monday if you want to talk about the options.

Kevin Haskins
Exodus Audio

1 - 2 of 2 Posts