Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying rew for the first time but not getting very far. I am using a creative soundblaster mp3+ external usb sound card. When I go into settings and measure the levels I am only getting a reading of about -32dbfs and getting the error message of very low signal level. I have all the levels in the sound card up full and running windows &:help:

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
Is your loopback connected on the right channel with the right channel selected when you run the soundcard calibration file?

Do you see the output and input VU meters responding when you run the soundcard calibration file?

What version of Windows? XP or Vista?

brucek

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
Sorry you're having trouble. Which Windows are you using?
It seems like your trying to run a Check Levels routine... Is this the one prior to running a soundcard calibration?
I sometimes find there's an extra control panel somewhere that I forget to make sure is setup properly for the volume controls. Have you tried adjusting the levels in the REW screen?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is your loopback connected on the right channel with the right channel selected when you run the soundcard calibration file?

Do you see the output and input VU meters responding when you run the soundcard calibration file?

What version of Windows? XP or Vista?

brucek
First off, thanks for the reply. Im running windows 7, just got the laptop yesterday. The input and output meters do go up and down when I click on measure. They just dont go up very far.

I have the cable connect to the line in and line out (right (red)) and right is selected in REW

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
I suspect Windows 7 is much the same as Vista, in that it doesn't offer REW much access to control the levels. So you have to control the levels using the Windows Device Mixer (that's what they call it in Vista anyway).

brucek

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I suspect Windows 7 is much the same as Vista, in that it doesn't offer REW much access to control the levels. So you have to control the levels using the Windows Device Mixer (that's what they call it in Vista anyway).

brucek
I did try that. I set all the levels in the windows control panel to max. Then set rew to the default input/ouput.

Initially the readings were about 60, then when I downloaded and installed a windows 7 (beta) driver for the sound card it went up to -32. I am suspecting that its a driver problem. Any suggestions on alternative usb sound cards.

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
Any suggestions on alternative usb sound cards.
Not many have reported results with Windows 7, so I don't have any concrete suggestions.

I wonder if a card that doesn't use drivers, such as the Behringer UCA202.

brucek

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
I did try that. I set all the levels in the windows control panel to max. Then set rew to the default input/ouput.

Initially the readings were about 60, then when I downloaded and installed a windows 7 (beta) driver for the sound card it went up to -32. I am suspecting that its a driver problem. Any suggestions on alternative usb sound cards.
I'm using Vista, and a different soundcard, BUT, IIRC the soundcard driver has it's own set of level controls that I had to play with to get my levels right the first time... is it possible your driver has the same and they got "reset" when you downloaded the update?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have two of the soundcards and getting the same problem in each..so its not a hardware issue.

I connected up to a desktop running windows vista and updated the driver and still the same problem. So it is obviously something I am doing!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
One thing I have just noticed is that is that even if I select the Creative soundblaster speaker for the output device, the output dropdown menu below it is greyed out. Subsequently the control output mixer is also greyed out and the output volume is 0.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, i can see that in "line in properties/advance" window sampling rate is set 44.1khz, and in rew it set on 48khz. What is why your input and output fields are grey, rew cannot see any supported sound card with 48khz sample rate. Set your sound card input and output to 48khz. Good luck

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
You have a monitor loopback turned on.

You have to mute the line-in in Playback (as shown) or it feeds the output to input internally.

You only want the line-in enabled in Record, not Playback.

Playback sound settings 6.png

brucek

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi, i can see that in "line in properties/advance" window sampling rate is set 44.1khz, and in rew it set on 48khz. What is why your input and output fields are grey, rew cannot see any supported sound card with 48khz sample rate. Set your sound card input and output to 48khz. Good luck
Thanks I had noticed that one - no luck unfortunately

·
Premium Member
6,711 Posts
I guess Windows 7 is similar to Vista in that each application has its own local volume control applied, so you will need to make sure the volume setting for REW is at max. To see those settings (in Vista at least), right click on the volume control icon and select Open Volume Mixer, or click on the "Mixer" link at the bottom of the volume slider that appears when you left click the volume control icon.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You have a monitor loopback turned on.

You have to mute the line-in in Playback (as shown) or it feeds the output to input internally.

You only want the line-in enabled in Record, not Playback.

View attachment 17105

brucek
Great! that sorted it. Thanks to everyone who posted/helped.

Took my first measurement of my subwoofer

first cal subwoofer.jpg

Looks like I have some work to do on it!!!!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Simply moving the sub along the wall and out of the corner achieved this

calibration 3.jpg

I will play around with sub position over the next few nights. I was having definitely boomy sound particularly with music. The room is fairly square (4.1m x 4.0m) and has an attic roof so I knew I would have problems. One question I would have, is it possible to input filters generated by REW manually into my AVR? (Pioneer SC-LX81) Edit Apparently not for the sub!

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
is it possible to input filters generated by REW manually into my AVR?
REW filters are Equalizer model specific. Each type of equalizer defines bandwidth differently. This math is programmed into REW when the type is selected. The filters are variable center frequency, bandwidth and gain. That's what a parametric EQ does - an AVR isn't up to the task I'm afraid.

Note: The floppy icon in the lower left hand portion of an REW graph saves a jpg of the graph of 800 bits wide suitable for posting - you don't need to post the entire page.

Also note that for subwoofer plots, always use the standard Vertical graph axis of (45dB - 105dB) and the Horizontal graph axis of (15Hz - 200Hz) using the Graph Limits button in the top right corner of REW. Use a measurement start frequency of 0Hz and an end frequency of 200Hz. Use the appropriate target line that matches your crossover.

For full range plots, use the standard Vertical graph axis of (45dB - 105dB) and the Horizontal graph axis of (15Hz - upper limits) you desire, i.e. 15KHz -20KHz. Use a full range target line.

For full range only, enable smoothing (1/3 octave) to eliminate the comb filtering.

brucek

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
REW filters are Equalizer model specific. Each type of equalizer defines bandwidth differently. This math is programmed into REW when the type is selected. The filters are variable center frequency, bandwidth and gain. That's what a parametric EQ does - an AVR isn't up to the task I'm afraid.
Thanks,

so without an equalizer such as BFD, the best I can achieve it seeking a resonably flat response by moving the sub around the room?

1 - 20 of 65 Posts