Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
I highly suggest doing this (painting the wall) - it allows you to get a real good feeling for how big to go for a screen size. You can also decide if you prefer 16:9 or 2.35:1.

As far as the calculator, there is another calculator someone linked a while back that is a bit more in depth - I am pretty sure it allows you change the lamp settings. The thing to remember when using the calculator - watch the number of FL. You really want to be in the 12-16 FL range (I stayed toward 16 to allow for lamp degradation).
I did setup the projector on a ladder and figured out the size I wanted - but the wall is green right now so hard to tell what it will look like. The resulting size 'm targeting is what I punched into the calculator at Projector-Central - I landed on 18 fL - so sounds like I should be ok then. Didn't realize the lamp starts to dim as it gets older...just read a post on that.

Thanks for the tips. I'll check out the other calculator this evening.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I am going to make a 92 inch screen and just use maybe a 1 inch border or a 1 1/2 inch border, but i like what the black diamond has on one of the screens the Zero Edge border and wonder how that would work on a homemade screen at that is a awesome look, so i am not sure myself on how important this black border stuff is either, but for looks it is pretty cool.

But i will try maybe the 1 inch border or a zero edge border with that thin looking border around the screen edge, this is my first attempt at this and i heard people say wood paneling works good as a screen, but i assume you use the back side of it..:ponder:

·
Moderator Emeritus
3,772 Posts
I am going to make a 92 inch screen and just use maybe a 1 inch border or a 1 1/2 inch border, but i like what the black diamond has on one of the screens the Zero Edge border and wonder how that would work on a homemade screen at that is a awesome look, so i am not sure myself on how important this black border stuff is either, but for looks it is pretty cool.

But i will try maybe the 1 inch border or a zero edge border with that thin looking border around the screen edge, this is my first attempt at this and i heard people say wood paneling works good as a screen, but i assume you use the back side of it..:ponder:
Borders are a very subjective thing, some like them and some don't. Build to suit your fancy.

If you are talking about using an actual wood panel for painting a screen on, there are easier ways to get a screen. I haven't found a way yet to totally obscure the grain of the wood so it isn't visible through the paint. If you are framing your panel then try tempered hardboard, or if the weight isn't a problem MDF works nice.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Thanks Harpmaker as i meant to say hardboard, not sure how i got wood paneling in there.. i must be half asleep..and thanks for the great tips on the mdf as i was looking at home depot online at both, and home depot is just only a half a mile from me, i am just thinking of black velvet tape for my border if that will work as i don't really want to make a frame at this time as i am not good in making them.

But once i get the piece of wood that i will be using and painted up i can then see how big of a border to use and which looks best for me..can't wait to get started and hope it all turns out nice in the end as paint can be funny to work with, but if things screw up at least it can be repainted again..:T

·
Registered
1 Posts
I checked out the other page with the 'white' border and the gray square. I feel like we're all overlooking something here.

The demonstration with the bright white square is assuming that the lights are on, so the wall is bright white. When you turn off your lights, your walls are no longer 'white', they are whatever shade they appear to be in the dark. So if you have a pitch black room, the walls are 'black'. If you have a mostly dark room, your walls are gray.

Yes it's true that a shade of gray surrounded by bright white will make the gray appear darker. However, if you applied a white border around your screen, the border wouldn't be white. It would be some shade of gray (or whatever color is near the edge of the screen)... depending on how much of the projectors ambient light was hitting it. So a white border will never provide you with high contrast (unless your border is actually emitting white light permanently, and therefore would not be influenced by the light from the projector).

This is why some people decide to use bias or back-lighting. Their screens are mounted an inch or two out from the wall on a frame, and rope lights are used behind the edge of the screen. This produces a brightness around the screen that fools the eye into seeing a higher contrast image.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello fellow shacksters!

This post may come across as blasphemous to projection common sense, but... does anyone have any links to resources about how exactly black borders enhance image quality on projection screens? And under what circumstances? In my own personal situation, I'm not yet convinced. I've read about there being a perceived brightness boost, and I've also read about a perceived contrast boost. The brightness boost I think I see, but I'm not sure about the contrast part. Now, this may not be the border's fault. I just don't know yet. Let me explain my situation.

I recently went from projecting on an off-white wall to projecting to a white blackout cloth. That could be the culprit right there. But, I now also have a 3.5" black velvet border around the BOC screen. I would think that this border would make up for the perceived loss of contrast from going from off-white to white (not really a vast difference in the whites).. but this border doesn't seem to be helping, and I kinda think I took a minor hit in overall image performance.

Might it be possible, that if your projector's blacks are lighter than a certain amount, a velvet black border might actually hurt contrast by "reminding" you of what black is supposed to look like? I sometimes wonder this while watching movies. It just seems like the velvet is sooo much blacker than any projected black on the screen now. It's as if it's creating a new contrast where there was none before. Before, the only black reference I had was the black that the projector could create. Now, to my mind anyway, it seems that there is now a new standard of black that is constantly demonstrating its superiority by highlighting the difference between itself and my projector's blacks. lol I'm wondering if the "perceived brightness boost" is actually brightening my blacks as well?

To my mind, the bias lighting thing seems to make more sense to me (if not overdone). As far as black border and contrast ratio goes, I'm not yet convinced (just from my own experience).

Now, to be thorough, there could be other factors affecting me and it may not be the black border. The blackout cloth may be presenting a softer or duller image in some way. It may not be a good blackout cloth for my application. Also, it may be the case that going from the off-white to the BOC white actually is such a drastic change that the black border can't compensate for it.

What are you guys' thoughts on this? Do you think there is possibly a situation where black border should be minimized (made thinner)? Or should a projector be able to create blacks to a certain depth before a black border really brings out the contrast? Am I just weird? Don't answer that.

Thanks!
-Jon

P.S. With my new gray screen, I'm going borderless first, just to experiment.
For me.its really simple. When viewing movies with big black bars. If movie has alot of dark scenes on projector itll blend into the surrounding white areas that look greyish and distort the over all image shape. So puting black bars on movies say using a curtain or in my case two velvet curtains, the image is alot better cause it doesnt leave the confines of the screen and film shape and has your eyes focused on the real image instead of wishing blacks were better. I love my projector, a uhd51, my image size is 100 inches and as much as I love it if a 100 inch old came out for 2I I'd swap. Otherwise I'm very happy

·
Registered
3 Posts
For me.its really simple. When viewing movies with big black bars. If movie has alot of dark scenes on projector itll blend into the surrounding white areas that look greyish and distort the over all image shape. So puting black bars on movies say using a curtain or in my case two velvet curtains, the image is alot better cause it doesnt leave the confines of the screen and film shape and has your eyes focused on the real image instead of wishing blacks were better. I love my projector, a uhd51, my image size is 100 inches and as much as I love it if a 100 inch old came out for 2I I'd swap. Otherwise I'm very happy
I need both aspect ratios so I just use a 19 9 screen and place boarders when needed manually. I will be making something more permanent and tidy when I think of it.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts