Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I'm very new to the enclosure building scene and quite excited to start the project! First, please forgive my ignorance as math is not a strength for me. Now thats out of the way let's get to it:

Here is a rough render of the cabinet design i made last night:

Basically, i took a page out of B&W's book to base it off of. It's extremely complex looking but I have a build process that will guide me to building it. For the details: The driver is a JL Audio 13W6V2-D4 and for power it would be coupled to an Oaudio Bash 500w plate amp. The render hasn't taken any actual volume or measurement accuracy, for that matter, into account so this is just my vision of the final product.

Scouring through the threads here, WinISD pro was downloaded and the figures from JL Audio.com were plugged in. The outcome is basically where i start scratching my head. These numbers and such are greek and i'm trying my best to understand them.

Thanks for checking it out and for any time/patience you wish to give :help:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
:dontknow: anyone? been quite a few views but no response.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Here's a revised box with a slotted port built into the top compartment. I'm not entirely sure how to go about calculating the exit and entry but the square volume is roughly .792 Cu ft.

I went ahead and made everything to scale and took measurements. Net volume, minus the top compartment/port came out to be 5.235 Cu ft. This is minus the driver and bracing panels. The measurements were taken based on it's square volume, not including the curvature of the side walls.

I've also included a snapshot of WinISD's settings and rear port velocity graph.

thoughts?

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
thanks for the compliment. I have a pretty good idea of how to build the cabinet. What I most need help on is figuring out the appropriate internal volume. Like some here, my equipment pulls double duty (80% movies 20% music). I'd like advice on the best enclosure for this driver, how to configure the braces, and if what I have designed has any major faults.

:T

do the WinISD figures look correct?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
that'd be VERY cool of you, Mike P. thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i had to recalculate. 4.6 was the cab internal. I haven't subtracted the braces, driver, or amp yet.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ok, that makes me feel better about the port. Does the port's dimensions have to remain identical throughout? Or will my design work if i reduce the exit and entrance to 2" height?

As for the wiring of the speaker, what ohm would you recommend i wire to? Seems like 2 and 8 Omh are my options. JL audio.com recommended 500w RMS for this driver, is that when someone connects it in parallel only?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
does it look like there may be enough room in that top chamber to mind a 2" high port around? and should i order a Dayton or Oaudio 240-250W amp or go with the 500w that jl audio suggested?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
No. What I mean is jl audio recommends 500w rms for this driver. You stated it only needs 250w but I don't know if you said that because it showed 8ohms in WinISD or if you saw the driver specs on jl audio's website and decided I only needed 250w. I put in 8ohms because I those that was the only option aside from 2ohms

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
my apologies for being slow here. Since the graph shows its underpowered does that mean my box design needs to change? or do i need to push more power through it?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts