Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear Wise ones,

I am a car audio guy who is dipping his toes into home audio speaker building. I have built many subwoofer enclosures in the past and have a decent grasp of home audio. I've also worked in radio broadcast so i am very familiar with what a good speaker sounds like, so your efforts will not be in vain.

Basically the deal is this. I have a set of drivers and tweeters (new stuff) that a friend gave me. I would like to build a nice set of tower speakers for my living room. I do not have specs on the tweets but they are 1" silk domes. The drivers are (cheap) GRS 8PR-8" speakers with the TS parameters are as follows.

Specifications: • Power handling: 65 watts RMS/90 watts max • VCdia: 1-1/2" • Le: 1.07 mH • Impedance: 8 ohms • Re: 7.58 ohms • Frequency range: 40-5,000 Hz • Fs: 52 Hz • SPL: 85 dB 1W/1m • Vas: 0.76 cu. ft. • Qms: 4.77 • Qes: 1.45 • Qts: 1.11 • Xmax: 3 mm • Dimensions: Overall diameter: 8", Cutout diameter: 7-5/16", Depth: 3-7/16".

Ideally i would like to build some 5ish foot tall towers. Ported would be preferred, just because im gonna have to try to maximize the bass response from a driver with only a 3mm xmax but Id be fine with sealed. Folks, any help would be appreciated. If you guys could give me some sample boxes that would be awesome.

Thanks so much.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks so much for your quick response. Answers to your questions

1) I am not technically limited to the drivers i have, but would like to keep this cheap (ill go big later when i know what im doin). Also, I already have a crossover (2 way, the original that was paired with the tweeter in the original old altec lansing speaker ) so if i go to a 3 way cabinet then i have to buy/build a new crossover....which id like to avoid.

2) Indeed, my goal is a first time functioning DIY speaker. Im not looking for Focal performance....just decent sound and a chance to learn some enclosure building for something other than a sub.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I found that the crossover is spec'ed at 2500hz. What do you think would be an appropriate box volume ported and sealed?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts