Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Thanks so much for your quick response. Answers to your questions

1) I am not technically limited to the drivers i have, but would like to keep this cheap (ill go big later when i know what im doin). Also, I already have a crossover (2 way, the original that was paired with the tweeter in the original old altec lansing speaker ) so if i go to a 3 way cabinet then i have to buy/build a new crossover....which id like to avoid.

2) Indeed, my goal is a first time functioning DIY speaker. Im not looking for Focal performance....just decent sound and a chance to learn some enclosure building for something other than a sub.
The crossover you have will most likely work electrically, but it's going to be completely incorrect for those drivers. Crossovers are tailored for specific drivers, their sensitivity, any peaks or dips in response, their impedance plots (drivers aren't resistors), baffle size, driver offset, et cetera.

If you're prepared for it to sound a bit like what you hear on the shelf at a big box store in the 30-50 dollar range, go for it. Music will come out of it, whether or not it's pleasant is going to depend on just how different your existing crossover is from what the drivers should have once all their parameters, cabinet and ctc are taken into account.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I'd go with the vented alignment there, room gain might help you out a bit. I'd also add that placing them back up against the wall might help as well.

If you're curious to start learning about crossover design, I'll point you here:

http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/crossovers.htm

as well as here:

https://sites.google.com/site/undefinition/diy-mfaq

If you don't have any data for the tweeter, it might be best to select new ones. You can probably get a fairly decent pair for not very much money that will come with specs. We may even be able to help you with a basic crossover to get started with, but with a tweeter that has no markings or data, it's nearly impossible for us to help because we can't hear it ><

1 - 2 of 2 Posts