Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
a question for someone with the NR-818 / NR-929 or who knows both of them.

We wish to hook up the following inputs:

Blue Ray / DVD (eventually HDMI but Component right now)
Computer or internal Internet radio / Pandora (using optical now but can use internal if available or RCA)
HD Cable box (HDMI or Component)
CD changer (RCA)
Old VHS player for some existing family movie tapes (Component out - no recording)
Old Cassette deck for recording and verifying recorded used for hot rod period correct (RCA in and out)
Old Phono turntable - to record to the cassette deck (RCA in)

One option would be to use the old receiver in a back room set up with a separate set of speakers and the phono / cassette deck. We rarely listen to records.

does anyone know which might be hooked up. I cannot find a quality photo that clearly shows the available sources and inputs. The games for example, I do not know if one could use one of those inputs for say the cassette deck or the CD Changer.

Read more: http://www.hometheatershack.com/for...-amps/70581-what-avr-get-2.html#ixzz2kiiFl05Q

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Either of those two receivers will do the job however there are few if any receivers that have a "tape loop" connection any more. The good news is that you can send the tape player a signal from zone 2 output and use any of the spare analog inputs to play it back. If your only going to use one Sub then I would not hesitate to get either unit.

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Either of those two receivers will do the job however there are few if any receivers that have a "tape loop" connection any more. The good news is that you can send the tape player a signal from zone 2 output and use any of the spare analog inputs to play it back. If your only going to use one Sub then I would not hesitate to get either unit.
Do you know if either have a audio monitor out?

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Im sure that the zone 1 or zone 2 will do the same thing. You would just have to select what you want to output to that zone.

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
we looked at a NR-818 today. I went prepared to buy but all they has was the floor model and it looked like it had been dropped a few times (fry's Concord) drove 90 miles each way after calling to verify they has a new boxed unit which they said they did. They didn't. At least we got to hear and see it. No one in Nor Cal appears to have a new unit, only Internet sales. Bummer.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi;

I am looking to upgrade from my NR709 to either the NR818 or the newer NR929? I do not see much difference other than the wireless BT & LAN. The Power Output is the same. Both has MultEQ XT32. And I think I see is the 4K Video
Upscaling with Qdeo is also available on both. The only major difference is the the fact that the 919 is 9.2 VS 7.2 on the 818. I do not need 9.2 so I am fine with that. And obviously the huge price gap... am I missing anything else?? Which one should I go with? Please HELP. Thanks!! :scratch:

addition info on what I have now; TX NR709. For speakers I have the complete Energy RC series: RC70 for FLFR LCR for Center RC10 for SLSR and the RCR for the SBL SBR. SUB: I have the eD A2-300 and the Hsu VTF-1 MK2. Thank you for your input.

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi;

I am looking to upgrade from my NR709 to either the NR818 or the newer NR929? I do not see much difference other than the wireless BT & LAN. The Power Output is the same. Both has MultEQ XT32. And I think I see is the 4K Video
Upscaling with Qdeo is also available on both. The only major difference is the the fact that the 919 is 9.2 VS 7.2 on the 818. I do not need 9.2 so I am fine with that. And obviously the huge price gap... am I missing anything else?? Which one should I go with? Please HELP. Thanks!! :scratch:

addition info on what I have now; TX NR709. For speakers I have the complete Energy RC series: RC70 for FLFR LCR for Center RC10 for SLSR and the RCR for the SBL SBR. SUB: I have the eD A2-300 and the Hsu VTF-1 MK2. Thank you for your input.
someone more knowledgeable than I will have to answer that. We found the NR-818 at Crutchfield and Amazon (Huppins) free shipping both at $699. The accessories4less had the NR-929 at $929 refurbished. Everyone else is $1299 new on it. Best Buy and Fry's are out of the NR-818 except for floor demos in some stores.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts