1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

·
Premium Member
5,869 Posts
Depends how much money you want to spend. There are plate amps from 375-1000 dollars that can replace it with EQ. Cheapest option would e a Behringer Inuke 1000 DSP. Would provide as much power and has DSP. BUT this is a power amp.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
chrapladm,

Thanks by your prompt response. I am looking for a plate not so expensive, no more thant U$450. Currently, we are considering the PE Bash 500s. It seems very similar to the OAudio Bash 500.

I have seen a lot of comments related to the Behringer amplifiers. I am not used to that. Is there any advantage in terms of performance of the Behringer's compared to the PE Bash 500s?

Best Regards,

Marcos

QJA

·
Premium Member
5,869 Posts
If only needing 500watts then then the Inuke 1000DSP is all that is needed. You can go with the Inuke 3000DSP and just limit the amount of wattage that goes to the driver also.

Just a matter of choosing how much you want to spend. I would go for the Inuke 3000 myself because I like having more than I need in case I decide to upgrade. BUT you can only do what you can with in your budget.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi,

I am in the process to buy a Behringer 1000DSP. The extra amount of power is not required and the difference, we will use in the cables, fan (Noctua or Nexus) and Neutrix connection (4poles).

One point that it is not clear to me, is that we need to connect the amp in bridge mode. In this case, how do I need to connect the subwoofer wires (2) to the Neutrix 4 poles connector?

Thanks in advance by your support.

Best Regards,

Marcos

Q.J.A

·
Premium Member
5,869 Posts
If only one speaker you need to wire the 4 pole connector going to your amp using 1+ and 2+ and then going to your speaker you use 1+ and 1- like normal. Make sure the amplifier is switched into bridge mode and be sure to label your speakon cable correctly. You must make sure that the amp end of the wire always goes to the correct connector.

Here you can see in the picture what I am talking about for the wiring of the speakon. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
chrapladm,

Thank you very much by your support. Your information was very clear and helped me a lot. As soon, I receive the Inuke 1000DSP, I will make the fan mod and modify the wiring accordingly.

We will keep you informed.

Best Regards,

Marcos

Q.J.A

·
Premium Member
5,869 Posts
Glad to be of help.:T

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Hi,

An additional question. We will use to connect the receiver sub out (RCA) to the 1000DSP the following monoprice cable:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001VLW398/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

We are planning to connect it to the input channel A only. Is it necessary to use a XLR splitter or install a XLR cap in the input channel B to avoid noise in this input?

The silver finishing of this unit is not compatible with our HT environment. Considering that this is a DIY forum painting the external to black seems to be a next step..... Did anyone else paint the exterior of this unit? Any constraint (thermal)?

Best Regards,

Marcos

QJA

·
Premium Member
5,869 Posts
These amps should be just fine with any custom add on colors you want to add. Regarding the amp inputs they should only require you to use input A when bridged. Most pro audio amps can use only a single input for dual mono operation or bridged operation. You dont need to worry about the other input. If you want to cap it for dust reasons maybe but not needed.

BUT yes I do agree I have never liked the color of these units.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Firs of all, thanks chrapladm by all the support you gave to me.

I received the NU1000DSP yesterday and I have just finished the fan mod. I am using the Noctua NF-R8 as indicated by a lot of persons of this forum. The difference is very big in terms of fan sound. There is no way to use the NU1000DSP in a HT environment with the stock fan. I remove the rear fan protection and used the Noctua plastic. I kept the shroud. I have plans to install the VGA heatsinks in some parts in the future.

I did some calibration with the current configuration and I verified that I need to increase a lot the gain in the amplifier (Marantz 7002) to adjust the LFE input. I am a little concerned of that. Probably we are increasing the noise and we will loose the sound quality with this approach.

Is there any other type of RCA to XLR converter? Is my concern reasonable?

Best Regards,

Marcos

QJA

·
Premium Member
5,869 Posts
Here is a simple adapter I use on my Lfe RCA cable to my power amp.

Have you played around with the DSP functions on the Inuke amplifier?

I am reading your Marantz manual now but some AVR's have to have settings increased to be able to send enough voltage to the amplifier. Most likely yours is fine and when turned up to reference volume puts out enough. But I will find out what it does put out in the manual.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I did a similar approach, using a RCA to XLR cable. After some research we found the article: Gain Structure for Home Theater: Getting the Most from Pro Audio Equipment in Your System. It is very instructive and detailed guideline.

We tried these guidelines and we confirm your suggestion/recommendation. It is possible to setup this interface properly. I still need to do some fine tuning, but the prelimary setup is very good.

Regarding the use of the DSP functions: we tried only the Low Pass Filter. We are planning to using the REW in order to evaluate the response of the sub in our room in order to adjust the PEQ function.

Thank you!

Marcos

Q.J.A

·
Premium Member
5,869 Posts
Glad to see everything coming along nicely. :T

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
I've been using these CROWN XLS DRIVE CORE amps now for the last year on my installs

1550 watts @ 4 ohms

$359.00

Runs only warm at full power....

The XTi series is more expensive but has several DSP functions...

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
RTS100x5,

Thanks by your suggestion.

The Crown XLS seems to be a great amplifier. In terms of thermal design it is better than the Behringer Inuke DSP.

Our decision for the Behringer was based on cost by function relationship. For example, Behringer 1000DSP + Noctua NF-R8 fan + Enzotech BMR-C1 Ramsink is almost half of the price of the Crown XTi 1002. For a sub amp, we consider that the DSP functionaly is a great feature. We expect that with these modifications the reliability of both units will be similar. Let's see if the future confirms this assumption.

In my opinion the Crown XTi is the compatible product. It will be my second choice.

Best Regards,

Marcos

Q.J.A

·
Premium Member
5,869 Posts
Yes I saw that thread a while back and thought it turned out great.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts