Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right on there main page. Guess I should have gotten into DIY years ago to show them my support. Everything I have heard, people love those amps. I never like seeing a small shop close up.

∙O Audio is a small family business; and, as a family grows, priorities and time
commitments change. As we enter 2013, it is time for us to close up shop.

·
Premium Member
8,367 Posts
Wow!..I've just bought a plate amp from them..Must have just ordered it in time!! :whew:
That is going to make it very difficult for anyone on 240V..Don't know of any other plate amps that have switchable voltage..

·
HTS Moderator , Reviewer
3,376 Posts
That really stinks. I was seriously considering DIY for the first time using an SI 15" driver and the O Audio 500 watt amp, because both of those seemed like the best value there was. Guess I can stick a fork in that idea now... :rolleyesno:

·
Premium Member
5,869 Posts
Jman dont give up. O Audio was the best buy I thought. I always recommended them but saw they were slowly having less products available. They will be missed.

·
HTS Moderator , Reviewer
3,376 Posts
Jman dont give up. O Audio was the best buy I thought. I always recommended them but saw they were slowly having less products available. They will be missed.
It's ironic (or sad, depending upon how you look at it) how this worked out.

I initially couldn't find a driver I liked. Actually I could - several to be honest - but I wasn't able to afford any of them, so I switched my energy to finding an amp. That research wasn't too difficult because there really weren't a lot of viable options. However, the O Audio was not something I felt as though I was settling on; it actually seemed to be a nice amp. Once I had that squared away I went about trying to find a cabinet (I'm all thumbs, so building one myself is out of the question).

The flat paks that DIY Sound Group has seem as though a chimpanzee could build them, which is about what it would take for me to be successful. Now I had the amp and cabinet. Next up, looking for a driver again...

When SI posted the spec's of the 15" I thought it would be the one. After seeing pictures of the driver I knew it was what I had been looking for. The only thing I was waiting for was a few others to do a build and report back what they thought. If it turned out the driver was a hit I was going to whip out the ol' credit card and take a stab at this DIY thing myself.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
That's too bad about Oaudio, I had one of there amps and it was rock solid and a good value.

Don't give up on DIY Jim, you really can elevate your sub system performance to new levels without breaking the bank. I am not talking mid-level performance either, my last commercial subs were a JL Audio F113, A few Velodyne HGS 18's, Revel Ultima subs and SVS CS Ultra's to name a few and I have surpassed them all in DIY.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Jman, I would not let this hinder you from going DIY. The Bash 500 from Parts Express has been a good amp and can be modded to get you the highpass crossover you need for the build. While I wanted an Oaudio 500 also and waited around for awhile, I ended up going with the Bash 500 from PE.

Building a sub that has the capabilities of a big ticket finished product is fantastic. I'm hoping to get some measurements of it soon. But i have a SI 15 here that will be taking up some of my time soon! Just knowing what my trio 12 does... and going bigger, I cant see myself getting discouraged in DIY audio. Its just to enjoyable for me!

Don't give up, and check this build out! another stereo integrity build ht 15d2

1 - 9 of 9 Posts