Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK with out spending any $$ I am putting some speakers in my old car (using what I have on hand.....)

Based on this diagram would this work? Or am I asking for trouble...

Capture.JPG

Each of the speakers are low wattage speakers.
The head unit is a older Kenwood KRC360 head unit. Here are the amp spec's
Capture2.JPG

If this is confusing just ask any questions and I do my best to clarify.

Thanks

G

·
0 Posts
Any 4ohm stable amp can run 8ohms. If anything, it should run a little cooler.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So... Adding in the 22uf capacitor on the positive side of 2 of the rear 4 speakers wont change the ohm ratting enough to make a difference??

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
each speaker will probably only see 4-5 watts. The amp my be rated at 15 wats into 4 ohms, however, your energizing 4 voice coils vice 2. If your speakers are more then 4" mid that is not enough to wake them up, if they are 4" mids your not going to see base anyways.
Understood...
I do hope to get a small inexpenive amp for the rears.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Can't open the page for the amp. However, before we start, I would like to know make and model of the car and are the front speakers stock. What is your budget.
Try the link again....(http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=265-079)

It is a 1982 olds Delta 88. (land yaght)

3 inch front speakers are not stock; they are suprisingly decent 4 ohm units from some powered montors
(They will take nearly all the kenwood head unit can throw at them...)

My budget. $60-$70 tops!!

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Ok I am going to take a educated guess and say your just looking for some Bass. I beleive the Delta has 6.5" factory cutouts in the rear parcel shelf. If I am correct here I will suggest this woofer:

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=299-250 good name and goes down low.

The amp you listed is the only one in your price range unless you go used within your area.

The other way is to use the speakers your have in your diagram (I don't know what they are) and get the bigger pyramid (whince) amp.

I would, knowing I wanted bass would look at the freq response of the 6.5s I had on hand, if they went below 50hz I would try them out. If they sounded like junk then I would try order the ones above, try them, still junk, it may be the amp.

Addtional parts: you will need to wire your amp to the battery, and you will need a passive low pass filter for the woofers so they don't try to play full range.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Ok I am going to take a educated guess and say your just looking for some Bass. I beleive the Delta has 6.5" factory cutouts in the rear parcel shelf. If I am correct here I will suggest this woofer:

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=299-250 good name and goes down low.

The amp you listed is the only one in your price range unless you go used within your area.

The other way is to use the speakers your have in your diagram (I don't know what they are) and get the bigger pyramid (whince) amp.

I would, knowing I wanted bass would look at the freq response of the 6.5s I had on hand, if they went below 50hz I would try them out. If they sounded like junk then I would try order the ones above, try them, still junk, it may be the amp.

Addtional parts: you will need to wire your amp to the battery, and you will need a passive low pass filter for the woofers so they don't try to play full range.
The factory cutouts are 6x9... But I made a wood baffle to go on the back deck with cutouts for 4 6.5's.
Well I just picked up a MTX Road thunder RT202 amp from a second hand shop for $30. (Gosh I hoped I got a good deal...I am not as knowledgeable on car audio -- is this a decent amp??)

According to the spec's I found on line It is 2 Ω stable.... so that will be a plus.
(here is a LINK to overview of the amp)

Well I am going to try the 4 speakers I have first... If I like them then that will be good for now. If they end up sounding like then I will beg my wife for the Peerless woofers.

Well I am off to wire everything up...Hope it all works.:please:

EDIT: (12:50 am) Got tied up with trying to find the things needed to install everythig and now I am just to tired:yawn::sleep: -gonna head to bed and work on it tomorrow - after my coffee:coffee:.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Oooooo now you can have some fun. the MTX is a 1000% better then the Pyramid. Go ahead wire the four in parallel (2ohm each side)(2ohm stereo). Activate the lowpass crossover. Make SURE you volume is at 1 before you turn the music loose on this puppy. Run it at a "comfortable" lvl for 3-4mins then see that the MTX is not at "cook and egg on the chasis temp". Have FUN

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Well I am glad the MTX was a good choice. The store had a few other amps at the same price point. I choose the MTX for 2 main reasons:
1. only one that specifically said that it was 2Ω stable
2. The MTX was the only brand that I recognised....

Since the amp did not have a Fuse, the second hand shop was not able to test it - thankfully they gave me a 3 day test peirod (cant complain about that with a used item).
Well I found a 10 amp fuse (needs a 20A...) and using a old Computer powersupply (20amps into 12v) I was able to test the MTX It seems to work just fine. (

Well hopefully I will be able to install every thing today. It is raining:lightning: and I don't have a garage...

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well I just spent the morning repairing a neighbors older TV. The TV only has a coax input, and it got ripped out.

Well it appears that the rain will hold off for a while yet so now I go and have car auido fun.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts