Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello, as everyone may have noticed PSA is now offering speakers.

Link to the product pages.

http://www.powersoundaudio.com/collections/speakers/products/mt-110

http://www.powersoundaudio.com/collections/speakers/products/mtm-210

Some quick specs.

MT-110 & MT-110c

Price includes a pair of MT-110 loudspeakers

("c" denotes horizontally oriented cabinet)

2 way, audiophile loudspeaker
1" titanium compression driver
Cast aluminum exponential horn
10" high efficiency woofer
Audiophile grade crossover completely designed in house
Frequency Response = 70Hz - 20kHz
Sensitivity = 95dB 1W/1M
Size HxWxD = 17.5" x 11" x 14" (includes grill)
Weight = 35lbs
MSRP per speaker = $599
$1,099.00 USD per pair

MTM-210 & MTM-210c

Price includes a pair of MTM-210 loudspeakers

("c" denotes horizontally oriented cabinet)

2 way, audiophile loudspeaker
1" titanium compression driver
Cast aluminum exponential horn
Dual 10" high efficiency woofers
Audiophile grade crossover completely designed in house
Frequency Response = 70Hz - 20kHz
Sensitivity = 98dB 1W/1M
Size HxWxD = 28" x 11" x 16" (includes grill)
Weight = 55lbs
MSRP per speaker = $899
$1,599.00 USD per pair

A few Pics

Link for more info here at the shack.

http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/home-theater-audio-video-news/94473-power-sound-audio-enters-loudspeaker-arena-mt-110-mtm-210-mints-new-relationship-minidsp.html

·
Registered
102 Posts
I believe you have the pricing wrong. Those prices are per speaker, not per pair. If I am wrong though I will order 210's right now!!!

Edit:

I see what happened, you copied the specs and the retail prices but did not get the actual/package prices:

210's are $1599 a pair and 110's are $1099 a pair.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I believe you have the pricing wrong. Those prices are per speaker, not per pair. If I am wrong though I will order 210's right now!!!

Edit:

I see what happened, you copied the specs and the retail prices but did not get the actual/package prices:

210's are $1599 a pair and 110's are $1099 a pair.
Oh yep, I fixed it.

·
Registered
135 Posts
you should check out diysoundgroup SEOS TEMPEST. They are basically the same speaker, they use a different compression driver. However the Tempest kit with flatpack will cost about $400 per speaker. I would bet the sound is comparable. (you could even use the same CD if you wanted) IF you like DIY. The Tempest is a loud speaker so I'm sure these will rock too. :)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
you should check out diysoundgroup SEOS TEMPEST. They are basically the same speaker, they use a different compression driver. However the Tempest kit with flatpack will cost about $400 per speaker. I would bet the sound is comparable. (you could even use the same CD if you wanted) IF you like DIY. The Tempest is a loud speaker so I'm sure these will rock too. :)
Interesting. I admit I'm not much DIY. But there is always something interesting popping in the DIY forums.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
These look pretty slick, if I didn't already build 3 SEOS Tempest I might be interested because high efficiency speakers have a definite advantage over normal audiophile type speakers for movies.

I really like the direction home theater speakers are going though.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
These look pretty slick, if I didn't already build 3 SEOS Tempest I might be interested because high efficiency speakers have a definite advantage over normal audiophile type speakers for movies.

I really like the direction home theater speakers are going though.
I'm really happy to see bigger better performing (in this case high efficiency speakers) make a come back.

I can't help but think this a natural progression of the performance we see in ID subwoofers. Breaking away from the speakers and subs must be small and it doesn't matter if they can't get loud they must be small. I know oversimplifying a bit but I'm glad to see speakers getting the performance boost that sub woofers did.

·
Registered
3,697 Posts
I would venture a guess that the XO is different, too. Considering the B&C driver and a built, finished cabinet, I would personally call the PSA's a better value.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I would venture a guess that the XO is different, too. Considering the B&C driver and a built, finished cabinet, I would personally call the PSA's a better value.
Of course the XO is different. The Tempest uses the Eminence 12" driver while PSA uses 2 10" Eminence drivers. Yes the compression driver is different and so is the horn vs waveguide but as far as PSA $1599 per speaker vs Tempest $326.00 per speaker add another $93.00 if you want the flatpack and finished XO http://www.diysoundgroup.com/waveguide-speaker-kits/fusion-12.html
As far as being a better value. ummm really? That's subjective. I'm not that thrilled with the sound of the Tempest so I doubt I would be happy with the PSA, however they do play loud! bonus for home theater. The cost would be $1257.00 for 3 Tempests with flatpacks and built XO. The only thing the purchaser has to do is glue the pieces and mount the hardware. You can build all 3 in one day. I'm not trying to take anything away from PSA as I have not personally heard their speaker or had them compared to the Tempest but they are similar speakers. The cost difference is large but you can't fairly compare a DIY speaker with a commercial speaker. Commercial companies have employee's and overhead to consider.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Of course the XO is different. The Tempest uses the Eminence 12" driver while PSA uses 2 10" Eminence drivers. Yes the compression driver is different and so is the horn vs waveguide but as far as PSA $1599 per speaker vs Tempest $326.00 per speaker add another $93.00 if you want the flatpack and finished XO http://www.diysoundgroup.com/waveguide-speaker-kits/fusion-12.html
As far as being a better value. ummm really? That's subjective. I'm not that thrilled with the sound of the Tempest so I doubt I would be happy with the PSA, however they do play loud! bonus for home theater. The cost would be $1257.00 for 3 Tempests with flatpacks and built XO. The only thing the purchaser has to do is glue the pieces and mount the hardware. You can build all 3 in one day. I'm not trying to take anything away from PSA as I have not personally heard their speaker or had them compared to the Tempest but they are similar speakers. The cost difference is large but you can't fairly compare a DIY speaker with a commercial speaker. Commercial companies have employee's and overhead to consider.
The PSA 210 uses two 10" Eminence drivers with custom XO and they are $1599 the pair not each.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The PSA 210 uses two 10" Eminence drivers with custom XO and they are $1599 the pair not each.
True these speakers are nothing alike expect their both horns. Different drivers, different horns, different wave guides, different crossovers they won't likely sound the same.

Also this section is for manufactured speakers not DIY and comparing the two isn't really fair.

·
Registered
3,697 Posts
Of course the XO is different. The Tempest uses the Eminence 12" driver while PSA uses 2 10" Eminence drivers. Yes the compression driver is different and so is the horn vs waveguide but as far as PSA $1599 per speaker vs Tempest $326.00 per speaker add another $93.00 if you want the flatpack and finished XO http://www.diysoundgroup.com/waveguide-speaker-kits/fusion-12.html As far as being a better value. ummm really? That's subjective.
I should clarify, I am speaking about the single 10" PSA MT-110. That would be a fair comparison in build and price.

I'm not that thrilled with the sound of the Tempest so I doubt I would be happy with the PSA, however they do play loud! bonus for home theater.
How can you comment on the sound of one speaker based on what you heard from another? The room is also a huge factor.

The cost would be $1257.00 for 3 Tempests with flatpacks and built XO. The only thing the purchaser has to do is glue the pieces and mount the hardware. You can build all 3 in one day.

You are forgetting the price of the Tempest enclosure. Only the baffle is supplied. Then, if we want to make the comparison complete, add in the price of finish. Who wants raw MDF boxes in their HT?

At $1698 or less (PSA would probably cut a deal for three MT-101's as they would for two), the MT-110 starts to look very competitive price wise.

I'm not trying to take anything away from PSA as I have not personally heard their speaker or had them compared to the Tempest but they are similar speakers. The cost difference is large but you can't fairly compare a DIY speaker with a commercial speaker. Commercial companies have employee's and overhead to consider.
As I've demonstrated, the cost difference is not large. It is almost negligible when one considers a Tempest with complete enclosure and a decent finish vs. a turn key MT-110.

Which one sounds better? I expect we will be reading comparisons, soon.

ID vs. DIY, is it fair to compare? It is starting to look like it is. :T

·
Registered
976 Posts
Thanks Dennis for conveying what I was trying to do, and yes I think we can compare DIY with ID commercial brands.:T
Cheers Jeff

·
Registered
135 Posts
Thanks Dennis for conveying what I was trying to do, and yes I think we can compare DIY with ID commercial brands.:T
Cheers Jeff
Tempest $326.00 per speaker add another $93.00 if you want the flatpack and finished XO http://www.diysoundgroup.com/wavegui...fusion-12.html

for $419.00 you do get a complete speaker. It does require you to glue the cabinet together and screw the xo inside. As far as a finish you can use veneer, stain, paint or purchase Duratex which is the same paint used on subwoofers. Im not going to pick over the price anyone can search and see how much an Eminence 10" driver with compression driver and horn cost, then add $50.00 or so for a XO. The remaining price is what the company has to justify for overhead, employee's etc. I'm not saying its a bad price, any informed consumer is the best customer. Not everyone wants to DIY or has the tools required. I think a very small percentage DIY compared to commercial brands. I have owned Klispch kg's, Magnepan 1.8, Mirage M7si, M3si, B&W cmd 7 and diamonds. DIY QSC 2105, and Tempest and still haven't found a speaker I am completely happy with. Yes DIY is much cheaper and compared to the cost of commercial your dollar goes a lot further but im still searching for a better DIY, Perhaps Selah Audio or even Salk Sound (I know he is commercial but all the parts are diy) will be my next purchase. Im sure PSA is offering a great deal on a great HT speaker, at least they are not adding $15K to the price like B&W, Krell, Wilson, etc. I don't think any of those speaker justify their ridiculous price but they sell.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Tempest $326.00 per speaker add another $93.00 if you want the flatpack and finished XO http://www.diysoundgroup.com/wavegui...fusion-12.html

for $419.00 you do get a complete speaker. It does require you to glue the cabinet together and screw the xo inside. As far as a finish you can use veneer, stain, paint or purchase Duratex which is the same paint used on subwoofers. Im not going to pick over the price anyone can search and see how much an Eminence 10" driver with compression driver and horn cost, then add $50.00 or so for a XO. The remaining price is what the company has to justify for overhead, employee's etc. I'm not saying its a bad price, any informed consumer is the best customer. Not everyone wants to DIY or has the tools required. I think a very small percentage DIY compared to commercial brands. I have owned Klispch kg's, Magnepan 1.8, Mirage M7si, M3si, B&W cmd 7 and diamonds. DIY QSC 2105, and Tempest and still haven't found a speaker I am completely happy with. Yes DIY is much cheaper and compared to the cost of commercial your dollar goes a lot further but im still searching for a better DIY, Perhaps Selah Audio or even Salk Sound (I know he is commercial but all the parts are diy) will be my next purchase. Im sure PSA is offering a great deal on a great HT speaker, at least they are not adding $15K to the price like B&W, Krell, Wilson, etc. I don't think any of those speaker justify their ridiculous price but they sell.

No one is arguing your point but this happens to be a PSA speaker thread and not a DIY one. Obviously you are are a very hard to please listener as you seem to have heard (owned) so many speakers and still are not happy. So doing a Salk design is DIY just because salk didn't put it together.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts