Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

101 - 120 of 467 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Thanks I was referring to the background noise. Eg. When you have a quite scene in a movie you can hear a hiss in the background.

Thanks it's good to hear that you don't hear it. As I was thinking of the xpa5 or picking up the upa2

·
Registered
459 Posts
Thanks I was referring to the background noise. Eg. When you have a quite scene in a movie you can hear a hiss in the background.

Thanks it's good to hear that you don't hear it. As I was thinking of the xpa5 or picking up the upa2
I've been thinking of the XPA3. XPA5 seems like unnecessary overkill, if you're using a decent receiver. Surround channels aren't that demanding, after all... it's the front three channels that need the most juice. (And the sub, but that's also a separate amp anyway)

·
Registered
66 Posts
HI ALL. U know when u take a bite of something that tastes RREEEAAALLLYY good. Well imagine RF 7's would sound with REAL DEDICATED POWER to them. Never mind the RC 64....it don't even have to EMOTIVA brand. But for best bang for the buck. An they got 30 day No question asked return.

·
Registered
66 Posts
wow. don't buy a amp don't buy a amp; NO ! buy one and enjoy. Hearing !! ??? if it TOO loud, turn it down. For me that to have the power; even if it is in reserve. It is better to have than have not. But it is his choice. An even though my ONK has the power to play my system for over 6 months. When i finally purchase and got it working. I WAS VERRYYY HAPPY. and IMPRESSED. The amp WOKE UP the speakers. If i know now, I have just went with components; or went with a AVR with particular software. But alwell it is what it is and it is great.

·
Registered
152 Posts
It was a nice review but he doesn't get into examples of low distortion amps or receivers that lean this way.
He used a rotel 1550 but didn't indicate if it leaned that way either... He could have added more JMO.

·
Premium Member
2,539 Posts
magazine article said:
Let me repeat my warning that to get the best out of these highly revealing speakers, you’ll need low-distortion amplification that tends to the warm side.
Like Klipsches in general, these speakers don’t need much power, but they do need clean power.
You also have to be the kind of now old-fashioned listener who’s willing to live in the sweet spot
Overall he said nice things but if you read between the lines its the same old song and dance when it comes to Klipsch reviews.
Highly revealing = harsh
Need low-distortion amplification that tends to the warm side = harsh
Willing to live in the sweet spot = only one place sounds good

I really do wish reviewers would think of the source material being the potential issue first instead of the amplifier or the speakers. There is a difference between being clear and well defined verses harsh and grating. If you hear things with one speaker that you don't hear with another maybe the other speaker just can't reproduce that sound. This has nothing to do with the amplifier.
Far too often I see the warm amplifier moniker tossed out to pair with "highly revealing" speakers. Amplifiers are neither warm or bright or revealing or muddy... if they are functioning correctly and not being over driven they are the same.
Klipsch has the reputation of being a highly directional speaker but I have found that the Klipsch horn provides one of the most forgiving soundstages, the 90x60 horn does provide focus but you don't have to be in the perfect position to hear the clarity and detail of the various instruments any more so than any other speaker.
The one thing he got right (if he had refrained from qualifying it) is the speakers are efficient and don't need a lot of power to produce a lot of sound.

·
Registered
580 Posts

I have Klipsch Reference 7.0 (SVS subs picking up the 0.2). The front 3 are driven by Emotiva XPA3 and surrounds by Onkyo 3007. For first ~3 months I was driving all with the 3007. I love the XPA, but there is a noticeable hiss. I only hear it when there is nothing on the soundtrack, but it is definitely there and it doesn't matter if anything else is on or even connected. There is zero hiss (at least from the listening position) with the 3007.

But I do love having the power when I need it.

Regards,
sga2

·
Registered
152 Posts
sga2 said:
I have Klipsch Reference 7.0 (SVS subs picking up the 0.2). The front 3 are driven by Emotiva XPA3 and surrounds by Onkyo 3007. For first ~3 months I was driving all with the 3007. I love the XPA, but there is a noticeable hiss. I only hear it when there is nothing on the soundtrack, but it is definitely there and it doesn't matter if anything else is on or even connected. There is zero hiss (at least from the listening position) with the 3007.

But I do love having the power when I need it.

Regards,
sga2
Thanks sga2,
I have the upa1's for the front I have had them for a while, when I posted my question it was because the upa2 are on sale and I was thinking of going the xpa5.
I ended up calling emo and they recommended that I use the UP as they have a dead background with klipsch. I just haven't pulled the trigger yet.. I think it is because I have that I should have 200 watt mentality. Even thought it seems it isn't that clear cut. Maybe I'll just pick up more UPA1's as it looks like they are discontinuing the UPA line.

·
Registered
152 Posts
chashint said:
Overall he said nice things but if you read between the lines its the same old song and dance when it comes to Klipsch reviews.
Highly revealing = harsh
Need low-distortion amplification that tends to the warm side = harsh
Willing to live in the sweet spot = only one place sounds good

I really do wish reviewers would think of the source material being the potential issue first instead of the amplifier or the speakers. There is a difference between being clear and well defined verses harsh and grating. If you hear things with one speaker that you don't hear with another maybe the other speaker just can't reproduce that sound. This has nothing to do with the amplifier.
Far too often I see the warm amplifier moniker tossed out to pair with "highly revealing" speakers. Amplifiers are neither warm or bright or revealing or muddy... if they are functioning correctly and not being over driven they are the same.
Klipsch has the reputation of being a highly directional speaker but I have found that the Klipsch horn provides one of the most forgiving soundstages, the 90x60 horn does provide focus but you don't have to be in the perfect position to hear the clarity and detail of the various instruments any more so than any other speaker.
The one thing he got right (if he had refrained from qualifying it) is the speakers are efficient and don't need a lot of power to produce a lot of sound.
Yea I agree with what you said but, I wish their was a way for them to quantify a low distortion amp. I have heard klipsch with 35 watt tube amps that sounded great and, 600 watts that just were ehh-ok. Every one claims low distortion so looking at it how do you tell if it is a low distortion. And when he says warm is he referring to the preamplifier section.?

He brings up more questions, I am glade that he is willing to bring them up though as opposed to brushing over them as I have seen in some others so you should give him credit. Eg from a review i read not on klipsch but a different system they lean slighty to the yang in my room. ( what does that even mean!!!)

·
Premium Member
2,539 Posts
That is interesting to hear the XPA3 has an audible hiss during quiet passages.
The only time you should hear any hiss is when the volume is turned up to the maximum level and there is no input signal... even then it should be just barely audible right next to the speaker.
If you are hearing hiss with the volume set to produce reference level, I would consider that unacceptable.
Anyone else out there with a XPA that hisses ??

·
Registered
66 Posts
hmmm; you got me thinking about that hiss your hearing. Now did you calibrate AVR with on board software. If so go to step to "if" hiss persist; go into menu an maybe play with db range. Give it a shot. Once I calibrated; I messed the db settings will keeping eq curve that AUDESSEY MULTI Q32. An a once to my liking; MANNN ! IS IT LOUD if I want it. An CLEAR !! . LIKE scary loud. but that is rarely the way I play it. I could put it a level that is comfortably louder than usual and the dynamics that movies have is amazing. But enjoy.

·
Registered
580 Posts
That is interesting to hear the XPA3 has an audible hiss during quiet passages.
The only time you should hear any hiss is when the volume is turned up to the maximum level and there is no input signal... even then it should be just barely audible right next to the speaker.
If you are hearing hiss with the volume set to produce reference level, I would consider that unacceptable.
Anyone else out there with a XPA that hisses ??
The XPA3 hiss is audible - and same level - regardless of AVR (calibrated with Audyssey MultiEq XT) volume level. Again, not very loud... but not dead, either.

Regards,
sga2

·
Registered
66 Posts
Well then i would have to recommend you contact them an explain to them what is going on. An if it is less than the 5 yr warranty; SEND IT BACK !. I just had a thought disconnect all inputs to amp; an listen? I mean just to see. Could it interference? noise bleeding into the system......

·
Premium Member
2,539 Posts
The XPA3 hiss is audible - and same level - regardless of AVR (calibrated with Audyssey MultiEq XT) volume level. Again, not very loud... but not dead, either.

Regards,
sga2
That is very unfortunate, it appears the unit is defective.
Hopefully Emotiva will fix it and you don't have to pay shipping charges on it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
New member, here's my setup as of now. temporary of course. Just moved, and still settling in.

EDIT:
Okay, so how do I post pictures? I posted the

·
Registered
3,697 Posts
So let's see! :gulp:

101 - 120 of 467 Posts