Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

141 - 160 of 467 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
which is just your standard speaker wire, right?
No, most subs use a digital coax cable with RCA connectors. (some very high end ones use balanced XLR cables) For short runs (under 10', IMO), any old RCA cables you have laying around are fine, if you don't want to pick up a digital coax cable, but they're not expensive especially at places like Monoprice.

·
Premium Member
2,620 Posts
I have been a Klipsch fan since the late 1960s and owner since 1972. Can't beat them for clarity of sound (especially midrange) and dynamics.

Current system is an A-DSX 11.2 setup consisting of a pair of 1978 Klipschorns in the rear corners of the HT, a pair of 1998 Klipschorns for front L/R, a 1998 Belle Klipsch for center, and three pairs of Heresy IIIs for side surrounds, front width, and front height.

I went thru two rounds of figuring out subwoofers that would match well to the horn bass sound of the K'horns. First was a Velodyne FSR-18 purchased in 1998. Great sound, but it would not keep up with the output from the K'horns. Three years ago I added Hsu Quad ULS-15s placed across the front wall of the HT; I kept the Velodyne and moved it to the rear of the room. The result is fantastic output with nice, tight transient response that matches the K'horn bass "sound" very well.

As we know, Klipsch speakers are highly efficient - do not need much power. However, I can vouch for the benefits of using good external amps. This spring I added 2 Emotiva XPA-5 and a UPA-1 amps driven by my Denon AVR-A100, now in preamp mode: 200WRMS for every channel. Serious overkill on system power, but the system's dynamics are simply fantastic.:)

So, that is my setup. I will not be parting with my Klipsch'es until I am put into a nursing home or pine box, 6 feet under:D

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
You have plenty of available materials to build that box from in those K-horns! :whistling:

What better way to be laid to rest for a Klipsch lover.

I started out in the industry working for a big Klipsch dealer in Baton Rouge in the late 1970's. We had some fun with those. Built quite a few systems with incredible dynamics with Crown and Klipsch back then.

·
Premium Member
2,620 Posts
I was introduced to Klipsch by a dealer in Starkville, MS, where I attended college (MS State.) My first Klipsch was a pair of Heresys from him in 1972, then the K'horns in 1978. List for the K'horns back then was $2400 per pair, but then 45 cent gas was expensive.:)

·
Registered
33 Posts
I grew up with Klipsch Heritage speakers. As a teenager I sold my dad on some K-horns and Lascalas. The Lascalas have been used maybe 12 hrs. per year since they were purchased 30 yrs ago. I may try to talk him in to letting me have them.:ponder:

·
Registered
89 Posts
I am on the hunt for some used La Scala's to use in a project that I am going to do. I want to find a used set of 3 La Scala's, for my L/C/R accross the front. I will be adding a K-402 horn to the top of each La Scala and will disable the mids and tweets in the La Scala's, as well as the crossovers. I will be running these "Active" as well. I am looking forward to this little project and will most definitely keep you guys updated. I probably won't start until mid August or so. In the mean time, if anyoine comes accross any used or "beater" La Scala's, then please pm me!

·
Premium Member
2,620 Posts
I am on the hunt for some used La Scala's to use in a project that I am going to do. I want to find a used set of 3 La Scala's, for my L/C/R accross the front. I will be adding a K-402 horn to the top of each La Scala and will disable the mids and tweets in the La Scala's, as well as the crossovers. I will be running these "Active" as well. I am looking forward to this little project and will most definitely keep you guys updated. I probably won't start until mid August or so. In the mean time, if anyoine comes accross any used or "beater" La Scala's, then please pm me!
Have you checked the Klipsch forum classifieds?

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/74.aspx

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi folks,

New to the forums, initially for REW but it so happens that I was also eying a set Klipsch speakers. It be interesting to see what you guys have to say.

I own a set of Magnepan 2.7/R hooked up to a Rotel RB 980 BX with a Denon 4306 receiver as pre-amp. The Denon also does the surround, center and SW so it only functions as pre-amp for the front speakers. The surround is Magnat Vector Needle 10, center is Needle 11, Sub is a Rel Q200E.

The Maggies need repair or a revision, loops are coming loose and one sounds audibly different than the other in the highs. I suspect the ribbon which could get expensive to replace.

Either way, the Magnat surround and center speakers are not that good I think. I can get a set Klipsch,
2x RF 35 Black
2x RS 25 Black Surroundspeakers
1x RC 25 Black Centerspeaker
1x RW 8 Black Subwoofer

Would the RF 35's be a reasonable replacement for the Maggies until I can repair them? I can store them and have them repaired when I get some more cash.

Will the surround/center be a worthy upgrade for the Magnats and match well with the rest of the set?

I doubt it, but would that Klipsch sub be better than the REL or, would it be able to match it and could I use it as a 2nd sub?

Looking forward to your ideas, thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,620 Posts
First, a warm welcome to HTS!

I have been a Klipsch fan since the late 1960s and have several different Klipsch speakers in the house, including a HT with all Klipsch Heritage (Klipschorn) speakers. They have a somewhat unique sound that I really enjoy.

That said, the sound is likely quite different from what you are hearing with the Maggies. It has been many years since I have heard Maggies, but what I remember is a somewhat laid back midrange. Klipsch has a very forward midrange. Some, like me, like it very much and say that it adds detail and that there is nothing else like it. Others hate it, saying it is "horn like" and "honky." I obviously don't believe the latter. Thus, it is very important to hear Klipsch before you buy.

Almost any Klipsch speaker will be more efficient than the Maggies, meaning more volume with the same receiver power.

As for subs, I have never been that impressed with Klipsch's offerings. I suggest looking at Hsu Research or SVS for better performance for your dollars. In fact, Hsu offers a combination system of bookshelf speakers with horn tweeters and a subwoofer:

http://www.hsuresearch.com/packages.html

Hsu is internet direct, so you won't be able to hear before buying, but they have a generous return policy.

I have not heard the REL sub, but have Hsu ULS-15s in my system and am well pleased - very detailed, fast sub for a 15 incher.

So, hope this helps. Please post with any other questions you have.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Appreciate the reply.

Unfortunately the seller just retreated and sold to a higher bidder. He offered me the opportunity to meet the higher bid but that was too high for me.

I'll definitely keep an eye out for Klipsch though. Looking forward to listening to them.

Off topic note on the Maggies, with all respect for other people's opinions and personal taste of course, in my mind Magnepans offer an unparalelled midrange. In fact it is the reason why I still have them. Very warm, musical and up front. It sounds to me like you heard maggies with an amp lacking the power to drive them, midrange is the first thing to fall behind but overal, they'll sound lackluster. But hey, this is the Klipsch topic so let's not dwell on that too much :D.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi

Trying to decide between Klipsch Quintet generation 4 or 5. The 5th generation isn't available in the country I live in for another 2-3 months so cant listen to them to see if they are worth waiting for & possibly paying more for.

Read the new specs for gen 5 but there is nothing like actually listening to them. So would be interested if anyone has heard both generations.

Thanks

·
Registered
28 Posts
Just finished building my Klipsch Reference system. Got the RSX-5s (WOW these are HUGE for satellite speakers) for mains, RCX-4 for center, and RSX-4s for surrounds. Have a KSW-10 sub and BIC pl-200. Gonna be replacing the KSW-10 next month with Klipsch Reference RW12d. This is the most incredible system I have ever heard.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
I run a pair of custom Jubilee speakers made at the Klipsch factory in Hope, Arkansas.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I own a pair of kg 1's (Surround Back) bought new in 1991 and a RC42II Center bought NEW Recently.

My eclectic system sounds good, even though the mains are 30 year old Yamahas, Surrounds 22 year old Cambridge Soundworks Surround II, and SUB a lowly Onkyo SW-204; receiver is Denon AVR-3312CI.

I put the NCAA Basketball on 5.1 and Pandora on the kg 1's (Surround Back/Zone 2); if it got any better, I couldn't stand it!!!

Nevertheless, it's time to replace the Fronts and Surrounds...

·
Registered
490 Posts
i like klipsch ive listened to a bunch of them.ive owned a pair of heresy 2's back in the 90's.i had a sub12 a couple years back which was returned after a weekend.i had a sw10 series 2 it sounded good.only klipsch speakers i have currently is some b2 bookshelf speakers.

141 - 160 of 467 Posts