Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 811 Posts

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Subscribed!

Would you mind adding a post talking about your impressions of the order process and the CS experience therein?
The ordering process was great. I actually talked with Tom Vodhanel through emails and he really took the time to fit me with the right subs. I am sure he was busy with getting the company up and running and yet still took the time to answer all my questions. Anyone not familiar with the company, it was founded by Tom Vodhanel and Jim Farina formally of SV Subwoofers.

Until these subs begin shipping you will get 5% off a single sub and 10% of a pair. You will need a code at the checkout. You can get the code by emailing the sales department.

·
Banned
137 Posts
Subscribing. Ive got an email into them. I was all set on the FV15HP, but the XV30 really has me interested. Every time I think Im set on a sub I get derailed lol.

The sub looks very basic, but Im sure it's a hammer if you take into account the team. The price is just awesome.

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Subscribing. Ive got an email into them. I was all set on the FV15HP, but the XV30 really has me interested. Every time I think Im set on a sub I get derailed lol.

The sub looks very basic, but Im sure it's a hammer if you take into account the team. The price is just awesome.
I agree with the XV30, it is a monster!! I wanted to get the XV30 and a XV15, but Tom thought that I would be better off with two XV-15's. I was set on the FV15 and also the VTF-15 and someone tipped me off to PSA and it was a game changer.

Yes, the subs are very basic, but said to look better in person. I am liking the fact that they have a isolation plate/riser built in. From what I am gathering is that this line of subs at the introduction are only the beginning as they will be introducing a premium line of subs in the near future. I am very interested to see what the future holds for PSA.

·
Banned
137 Posts
I just over an email with questions, and got a reply from Tom in 56 mins. I guess I can't complain about that Lol.

This is gonna be tough... Even though I know they plan more premium models, this is my price range and that big monster with dual 15's just screams HT sub.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Hi all,

Quick update. First production run today. Lots assembled, tested, wrapped, and boxed. Bad news---we missed the fedex cutoff(we weren't going to rush QC). We are staying late and coming back early so I'm anticipating a BIG dent in the pre-order waiting list by tomorrow afternoon.

Also, we are extending the pre-order discount period to end of day Monday(8-20).

Thanks to everyone for their patience I know we missed our original shipping estimates.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio

·
Registered
162 Posts
We have 4-5 review subwoofers that will be built over the weekend and shipped out early next week. Josh Ricci, Jman, and Dave Upton all get review samples.

The super large mags/websites tend to focus on companies that are can toss major advertising dollars their way. That is just the way it works(understandably), they have bills to pay too. Jim and I both come from an engineering back round though(we formed the entire r/d 'staff" of svs from 1999-2007) and our goal is to keep Power Sound Audio focused on the R/D side. We won't ignore advertising/marketing completely but our belief is....if you make the product good enough to "sell itself"...it generally will. I just saw a comment on another forum which mentioned the typical spending ratio is 20:1 (for every 1 dollar a company spends on Research and development it spend 20 dollars on advertising). Power Sound Audio may try reversing that..:)

Of course, "word of mouth" reviews/comments from our customers will always be our most important "advertising" metric imo.

One thing that DOES help with the super big sites(like sound and vision) is if they get a lot of requests to review a certain product.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio

·
Banned
137 Posts
Understood, and we all appreciate the break on the wallet ID companies give us.

Im looking forward to input, Im already committed on my current sub choice, but intend on a HT room in a new house in the coming couple of years. Im always glad to see more options when it comes to subwoofers.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Here are pictures of the 3 XV-15's I picked up at their shop on saturday morning as I am only 80 miles away:

Next to a SVS PB12+/2 (they are setup along with 2 of these SVS subs)

Next to a SVS PB12+

In their current location behind a couch:

I absolutely love these subs, it took the wife 4 days to notice they were even there! They really don't stick out despite their size. I think I can finally say that I have enough bass (at least until Powersound releases something more powerful :) ).

I would say from my experience so far that 3 of these XV-15's are more powerful than my 2 PB12+/2's.

Very pleased!!!

If anyone is in the Pittsburgh area they are welcome to come check them out.

--Ray

·
Registered
102 Posts
I wanted to post about my experience with the order process and customer service at Powersound Audio.

I have spent the past two months sending Tom questions about his subwoofer line, sending him my room layout, comparing their line of subs against subs I own and was looking at. Often times there were strings of emails lasting well past midnight. Never had to wait very long for an answer. He even recommended subs other than what they sell. After I finally decided that I was going to go with 2 XV-15's over 1 XV-30, I changed my mind and order several times and finally decided on 3 XV-15's. There was never a problem with order changes. They even showed up at the shop on their day off (Saturday) so that I could pick them up in person. Jim Farina spent well over an hour showing me the parts that the subs were made of (drivers, boxes, amps, packing material) and showing me around the shop. I got some good insight on what it took to bring these to market.

These are a couple of great guys with a great products.

I look forward to being a customer for years!

--Ray Nist

·
Banned
137 Posts
I've emailed em a few times, been great. Even though I went another way with my current move, I hope to look at them in the future when I can finally do my HT room.

One thing thats a good showing with an ID company, great communication. It's nice when you can to the THE man, with little effort.

·
HTS Moderator , Reviewer
3,371 Posts
Thus far I can tell you this much about the XS15...

1. The amp generates virtually no heat. If you really push it there's some warmth, but under normal everyday usage it's almost imperceptible.
  2. There's more dynamic range then I anticipated. The ability to play nuanced bass is better then I thought it would be.
  3. It can play loud. Actually, check that; it can play loud. If you like SPL's you'll love this sub.
For a version 1.0 product from a version 1.0 company PSA has done a wonderful job. I'm pretty impressed at this point, especially when you consider it only costs $700.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I just pulled the trigger on ordering a single PSA XS-15. Let the waiting begin! This is probably going to be entirely silly compared to my current 8" sealed sub, which I purchased used expecting it to "tide me over" until I got into a real sub. Here comes a "real" sub. :whistling:

·
HTS Moderator , Reviewer
3,371 Posts
Here's a quick shot of what the XS15 looks like without the driver and amp.

1 - 20 of 811 Posts