Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
www.speakerpower.net

SpeakerPower recently released a new line of rack mount and plate amps that are geared toward the DIY crowd. While their amps used to have strictly SpeakOn, PowerCon, and XLR with no user-controllable EQ, crossovers, or phase control now have binding posts, NEMA-15 power cords, RCA inputs, and all the aforementioned signal controls.

Also making things more appealing is a recent price drop across the board!

I know Brian frequents most of the forums out there, so I’m sure any questions posted here will be answered.

My first experience with SpeakerPower amps was when Jeff Permanian (JTR Speakers) brought his highly acclaimed Orbit Shifter LFU to my first AVS GTG in 2013. I couldn’t believe a plate amp (SP1-4000) could bring a single enclosure to such immense SPL levels (tested by data-bass.com to exceed 130db).

These amps are also used by Seaton Sound, Danley Sound Labs, Power Sound Audio, and Deep Sea Sound to name a few.

I purchased my first SpeakerPower amp (rack mount SP2-12000) at the end of 2014 to drive a pair of Othorn tapped horn subwoofers (designed by Josh Ricci of data-bass.com) loaded with B&C 21-IPAL drivers. These drivers have an unusually low Re of 0.7ohm, and even though the impedance drops to ~1.1ohm while loaded in an Othorn, the SP2-12000 has effortlessly drove these subs all while remaining cold to the touch. In the last ~1.5 years I’ve only seen the fans actually turn on two or three times. I’ve measured SPL levels just north of 139db at the seats in my HT room with just these two subs and a single SpeakerPower amp!

I recently purchased another SP2-12000 to power my latest project of (8) sealed 21” drivers and I’m thrilled with the results. I encourage anyone else using these amplifiers to post their experiences here!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Any idea what software is needed for the remote monitoring of the data port on the rack mount units?
The dataport plugs into a QSC system and uses their software and hardware. The current system is called Q-SYS and is a very powerful integrated software, scalable DSP, remote control and monitor. The legacy system is QSControl software and CM16 hardware. It is remote control and monitoring only. CM16 are available for $30-40 each on ebay. The 15 pin dataport connection carries to the amplifier the input signal and standby control. It brings back temperature, levels, output current for load impedance calculation and protection status.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Two more questions-

In the picture in post #1, there are two different plugs shown. Do the current SP rack mount amplifiers use the regular 3 prong or that other larger configuration [which requires wall receptacle replacement]?

Any [cooling] issues with mounting these amplifiers vertically?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Two more questions-

In the picture in post #1, there are two different plugs shown. Do the current SP rack mount amplifiers use the regular 3 prong or that other larger configuration [which requires wall receptacle replacement]?

Any [cooling] issues with mounting these amplifiers vertically?
The plug depends on the model. The 120VAC only models get a NEMA 5-15 or 5-20 plug as shown on the right in the photo. The 230VAC models get a 6-20 or 6-30 plug. The locking versions have a L as in L6-20. You can specify either locking or non locking.

The receptacle is a IEC320 C13 on the -HT models, and Powercon 30A on the -DP models.

I'm not sure how Luke got a 5-15 plug with his SP2-12000. It should be a L6-20 like the one on the left. I would never recommend wiring a 5-15 or 5-20 outlet to 240VAC.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I've decided to purchase the 4800 series amplifier once I've completed my build. I have three additional questions. perhaps others will find the answers useful.

#1 In the pull-down there is a pull down selection for the speakon connection wiring. It's not so clear to me though how the wiring diagram looks like or if it's using a 2 or 4 pole type. The following options are listed.

CH1 + CH2 CH2
CH1+CH2 CH2+CH2

#2 for the HT model (with the DSP), is there a high pass filter present in the signal chain? I'm looking for a amplifier with an unrestricted low frequency response.

#3 So that my project moves forward as intended, is there a lead time for availability?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I've decided to purchase the 4800 series amplifier once I've completed my build. I have three additional questions. perhaps others will find the answers useful.

#1 In the pull-down there is a pull down selection for the speakon connection wiring. It's not so clear to me though how the wiring diagram looks like or if it's using a 2 or 4 pole type. The following options are listed.

CH1 + CH2 CH2
CH1+CH2 CH2+CH2

#2 for the HT model (with the DSP), is there a high pass filter present in the signal chain? I'm looking for a amplifier with an unrestricted low frequency response.

#3 So that my project moves forward as intended, is there a lead time for availability?
The Speakons can be wired with 1+ and 2+, 1- and 2- wired in parallel for each channel. That is option 2 above.
Option one moves the CH2 connection from 2+2- over to 2+ 2- on the channel one Speakon. channel two"s 2+ and 2- are left open. This puts both channels on the output of channel one's Speakon for occasions where you only want to run one 4 wire cable to the speaker locations. Clear as mud?

The HT model is available with no high pass filter. Just let us know when you order.

The lead time varies. If by some miracle we have the model you want in stock, we ship in a day. But more typically there is a 2-4 week lead time. We are running 3+ weeks right now.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Thanks for the response on the lead time and filter option.

Regarding the wiring, I had planned to run two subs, in stereo. At the sub connector, I'm tying both +'s and -'s together internally. The amp connect to either or both on the connector end. So I believe my plans matches option 2 you described above-correct?

·
Registered
73 Posts
SpeakerPower,

My 4800 remote standby goes into standby when 12v is applied to the right pin, ground to the left (when facing the back panel). My Emotiva XMC-1 applies this voltage when the system is ON though.

Is there a way to invert the amplifier's operation when 12vdc is applied? I cannot configure my preamp to send 12vdc when powered down and 0vdc when powered up.

·
Registered
73 Posts
SpeakerPower,

My 4800 remote standby goes into standby when 12v is applied to the right pin, ground to the left (when facing the back panel). My Emotiva XMC-1 applies this voltage when the system is ON though.

Is there a way to invert the amplifier's operation when 12vdc is applied? I cannot configure my preamp to send 12vdc when powered down and 0vdc when powered up.
I may have solved my own problem since I didn't get a reply. As a first time SP amp owner, I wasn't aware they came with no installation manual, so for the remote standby plug, I had to test a few things out to figure out how it works.

I put together a truth table using one of the four 12v 100ma triggers from my XMC-1 as an input. After that I used some parts in the garage and made a very simple circuit to pull the level on the right connector to 0v when the processor is asleep and when it wakes up, the relay switches to float that same connector which wakes the amplifier up.

I hope this is useful to someone. Any suggestions on how to improve it would be welcomed.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sorry about getting back to you so late. Turns out I was not subscribed to this thread! Fortunately you figured out the exact solution I would have recommended anyway. Hope you are enjoying your amp. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Brian Oppegaard
SpeakerPower

1 - 18 of 18 Posts