Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay folks just ordered my Maelstrom X 18" for my up and coming 13 ft^3 build. Pics and more information to come. Now I gotta go back to bed.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Okay folks just ordered my Maelstrom X 18" for my up and coming 13 ft^3 build. Pics and more information to come. Now I gotta go back to bed.
Cool! What tuning are you aiming for? A big port or PRs? Amplifier, subsonic filter?

What kind of room are you putting this beast in?

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Fackamato I am porting it with a 15Hz tune. Along with a 13Hz HPF. I will use my current dcx 2496 for it. I plan on using a behringer ep2500 for amplication. I have a dedicated theater room that is 15'X 20' that is 3200ft^3. The rest of my sound system has an IB consisting of 2 atlas 15s, the mains are Nat Ps with separate mid bass bins ( this is where the dcx comes in), Center channel is the WMTW from htguide as well. My four poor infinity 20s are getting crushed in surround duty by the front system. I will build some new surrounds in the future. I use a LMC-1 with the a emotiva amp for the fronts, a panasonic 57 for the surrounds and a behringer ep1500 for the IB. That is it in a nut shell. Thanks for asking.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Fackamoto I believe I read that recently now that you mention it. I will try it out and if it doesn't workout I will get something else. I was just trying to utilize what I have on hand rather than spend more than I needed.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Thanks Fackamoto I believe I read that recently now that you mention it. I will try it out and if it doesn't workout I will get something else. I was just trying to utilize what I have on hand rather than spend more than I needed.
I know what you mean, I was in the same position. I'll use my DCX2496 as an EQ, and the Reckhorn B1 I ordered as a SSF. I _must_ take measurements though, the chain will be quite long: H/K AVR > DCX2496 > Reckhorn B1 SSF > EP2500 > M-X.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I understand that one about the long chain. While I don't have a reckhorn I do have a prepro.
Mike P I hope the IB blends in well with the ported sub. I visualize it that way anyway. I am excited about the build. My only problem besides a lot of over time at work is my other current project on installing a wetbar between the living room and kitchen areas. It delays my sub project a lot. Right now I have some very intricate crown molding that I am installing on the columns that go on either side of the bar. Well got to go to work. Cheers

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well folks I am typing this while sitting next to my new driver on the dining room table. Pictures just do not give you an idea of the size of this thing. It is massive. It just drawfs my atlas 15"s. I pity the guys who would try and mount it overhead in a ceiling like I have for my IB. I got it in yesterday when I got home from work. Will post first pictures soon. Cheers

·
Registered
229 Posts
Well folks I am typing this while sitting next to my new driver on the dining room table. Pictures just do not give you an idea of the size of this thing. It is massive. It just drawfs my atlas 15"s. I pity the guys who would try and mount it overhead in a ceiling like I have for my IB. I got it in yesterday when I got home from work. Will post first pictures soon. Cheers
Indeed I agree, pictures won't do it justice. I starred at mine for some time and wondered, what on earth I was getting myself into :rubeyes:

Looking forward to some pictures of the project.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I cannot imagine overhead in an IB!!! It was hard enough installing this beast in standard box (24" sealed cube). I had to rig a harness with fishing line (20 lb test, doubled) to lift it into place. My outer cutout was 18.5 inches and the driver/gasket filled the space with no room to spare. Making the small adjustments to match the pre-drilled holes was not easy.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sorry I haven't kept up with this. I have been having gallbladder problems lately. I am scheduled for surgery on the 11th. So it will probably be Sept before I can get to this. Wish me well, later guys.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey guys I know it has been quite awhile since I have posted, but here is an update. Well it took a lot longer to get better after my surgery than I thought it would. Post surgery I had a bout with IBS and had to get that cleared up. After that it tool awhile to feel good enough to really want to do anything besides work. And now these last several weeks I have been working 6 12 hour days a week so I haven't done any projects in quite some time. A couple of weeks ago my 65" TV died on me and that's another story for another thread. The good part of the TV dieing is I just went ahead and finally ordered a Panasonic AE 4000 projector to replace it. What it also allows me to do is build any size sub box I want to go in the cubby whole behind the screen. The cubby is about 5'x 5'x 2.5' so you can understand what I mean. I don't know if I will be able to get to this before the end of the year because this is a time of a lot of overtime where I work. But now I have to throw out all my original design and start from scratch. I may have to order another 18" to go with the first.

·
Registered
347 Posts
At least you are healthy enough to be back at it. Having a new FP for the HT and doubling your subs can definitely be viewed as a silver lining.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts