Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:crying: My 2 year old managed to pull the cover off of my prized Mission 765 towers in our theater room and pushed in BADLY the dust caps on both drivers and the Tweeter :crying: I am so upset. I managed to get the tweeters dust cap out however the top drivers cap is pushed in so far that it is coming off the cone (the glue is showing) :crying:. I dont know what to do. I simply cant afford to replace them as to get anything like them it would have to be between $1500 and $2000 I dont have the cash and then I would have miss matched speakers. :rolleyesno:
"Rant over"

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is the top driver, the lower one is also pushed in but its not peeling away from the cone.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Mike for your help with this.

The dust caps are 2" and the drivers seem to be ok other than the caps being pushed in.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Step 5 in the link below shows what's involved and how to remove the dust caps. You have to be comfortable with this. Have a look and see.

http://www.parts-express.com/Tech/260-915.html
Thanks Mike I will give that a try if I cant suck them out without causing damage. I already tried using some different kinds of tape but so far it wont stick to the cap. I will try the vacuum tomorrow and see what happens.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
:yay2: After taking the vacuum to the dust covers trying not to suck them completely off the cone they popped out without any noticeable damage to them at all! It seems like the top driver has not pulled away from the glue and the speakers sound none the worse and it ran without any distortion or other problems.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Nice work Tony. Glad it worked out. I am not sure my kids know my grill covers even come off. Let's see how long I can keep it that way.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It's good to hear the solution was that simple. Now if there was some way to make the grills non removable.....
I have thought of using just a dab of silicone on the rubber inserts that hold them but that may make it to hard to get off in the future.

Nice work Tony. Glad it worked out. I am not sure my kids know my grill covers even come off. Let's see how long I can keep it that way.
Thanks, my heart was in my throat when I saw the damage. With my 5 daughters its allot of fun just keeping my sanity.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I have thought of using just a dab of silicone on the rubber inserts that hold them but that may make it to hard to get off in the future.

Thanks, my heart was in my throat when I saw the damage. With my 5 daughters its allot of fun just keeping my sanity.
I'd rather have hard to get off grills than deal with this problem again. Or even better if one of the little ones decides to poke a barbie or hair brush through the cone.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
We had one member here that his 4 yer old daughter stuck a pen through the driver in more than one place:rolleyesno:

·
Registered
203 Posts
I felt really bad for you as I read through the thread. But, I'm very glad to see there was a happy ending!

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks, My fears mounted as I contaced Denon who was the Mission rep for Canada up untill about two years ago but they had no parts left and they gave me a Mission contact however they did not have any drivers left but they do still have the tweeters for my mission. I wonder If I should buy two just in case.

·
Registered
876 Posts
This is an easy fix. All you need is a piece of masking tape, folded over. Place the masking tape on the dust cover, then pull it back in to shape. I first saw this on Axiom Audio's website, you can find the how to video buried somewhere in their tips and tricks section.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
This is an easy fix. All you need is a piece of masking tape, folded over. Place the masking tape on the dust cover, then pull it back in to shape. I first saw this on Axiom Audio's website, you can find the how to video buried somewhere in their tips and tricks section.
Tried 5 different kinds of tape however none of them would stick to the cap (even duct tape) as its made of some sort of rubber that seems to not stick to anything.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Tried 5 different kinds of tape however none of them would stick to the cap (even duct tape) as its made of some sort of rubber that seems to not stick to anything.

I am assuming you have not tried gorilla tape which sticks to almost anything and is tough as nails. It's available from Lowes or home depot where I live. Anyways, it is possible for a professional to repair them. The Speaker Exchange in Tampa, Florida has an excellent reputation and many decades of being in business, they are a factory authorized repair center for many major brands and can probably fix yours too. (they do work for Disney, major broadcasters, performing arts halls, Universal Studios, Circuict City, etc)

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The vacuum is my friend even if it sucks :dumbcrazy: did a nice job of pulling them out.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts