Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all. Just discovered REW today and decided it was time to find out what the worst offending issues in my bedroom (home office really) music studio were. Got a Behringer ECM8000 (what did we do in the days before Amazon same-day delivery?? LOL) and was all fired up to get started. I watched the Youtube tutorial video and ran my test. I now have a lovely squiggle... but have no idea what the hek to do from here. I don’t want to go crazy and become an audio scientist in order to understand the basic problems of my room, and so far the material I’ve found is way, way over my head.

Is there any sort of simple “lay-sound-person’s guide” to understanding the results REW gives? I’m not going to try and turn my space into a world class mixing room or anything by any stretch, but if it’s possible for me to address at least major issues without going broke, I’d like to attempt it. Any resources anyone may be able to point me towards would sure be appreciated. I’ll also keep looking in case I stumble onto something I can understand.

Thanks all!

·
Registered
5,772 Posts
Ok, you probably should set the graph in REW to the default limits so it's not so compressed. (Or post the mdat file)

It looks like you have a sub running in the 40-100Hz range and it is about the same level as your midrange.
The only concern I can see is the bump from 120-200Hz.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What are the default limits? I've already changed them from watching the tutorial, and there's no reset button...

Oh and yes I do have a sub, though frankly I've been wondering if maybe I should ditch it in case it gives me a false perception of my low end...

·
Premium Member
6,711 Posts
Advice on graph limits is here. The left set of top/bottom field are for the left (SPL) axis, the right are for the right (phase) axis.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm afraid I don't follow. It states to ensure you use "a vertical scale of 45dB-105dB and a horizontal scale of 15Hz-200Hz." but a vertical scale that starts at 45db will be missing a large portion of the bottom of my graph. And only go up to 200hz? Do people here really only care about the low end? I get that this is a home theater-focused forum rather than a music-studio focused one, but still that seems a little odd to me.

Attached is my latest full-range graph, set to what I believe is the correct settings (assuming 45db really means -45db).

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,711 Posts
The 15 - 200 Hz is for subwoofer measurements. 45 - 105 dB is on the assumption of tests conducted at a nominal level of 75 dB, your graph has either been run at a lower level or your SPL calibration is a little off. Either way use a 60 dB span for visual consistency with other graphs folk will have seen, can shift the range up or down as required. With a 150 dB span anything starts to look flat. You can apply some smoothing to clean up the comb filtering at the top end and see the underlying response, you'll find the smoothing settings in the Graph menu. Try Variable or 1/12th octave. Can always post the mdat file for a measurement to allow people to use their own preferences for viewing the data.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Aha, gotcha. OK let me see about cleaning up the graph a bit better and check my settings to see if I got something wrong. Will see about posting the data file as well. Thanks!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sorry for the delay, shortly after making the previous post my iMac decided it was time to self-destruct (GPU fried) which meant leaving it with Apple for repair. I'm just finally getting everything put back together and will see about posting a better graph and data file ASAP. I really want to *know* what the problem areas of my room are instead of guessing!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts