Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
254 Posts
Geez, the drivers are falling apart. The tweeter level control is on 10... already indicating something is very wrong, no working speaker would have the tweeter turned up to 10. There appears to be a "push to reset" circuit breaker on the back panel, have you tried pushing it/them? A woofer that has been connected for decades isn't going to suddenly disconnect itself. And a disconnected woofer should not disable sound from the tweeter in most well-designed speakers.

· Registered
5 Posts
It depends on how good they sound to you. If they sound good to you, they are worth saving. I would take them apart just for curiosity sake. It won’t take long. It’s probably just one or more broken solder connections. The tweeter is probably hooked up to the woofer with a capacitor in line. That would mean the break is before the woofer. It might be that reset button is rusted out, which you never needed anyway. Just solder around the reset. Or, newegg has some Klipsch RP 160s on sale for $195/pair, and you don’t get much better than that.

· Registered
5 Posts
I looked up the RTR model Exp 9v. These are fairly nice vintage speakers and where generally held in high regard. The woofers are fairly substantial. You could greatly improve the sound by replacing the paper tweeters with some inexpensive soft domes from parts express. The crossovers are very basic and have no choke on the woofers, but that’s fine. The problem is usually the reset button, either fusing or getting stuck. Just bypass the reset buttons and they should work fine. Also check for solder points that have let go. If the cabinets still look nice and you used to like the sound, they’re certainly worth repairing, especially since you probably only have to bypass the reset buttons with a small jumper. If they still look nice and you get them working, and it’s usually the reset buttons, you might want to get a couple of soft domes from Parts Express for under $20.00.

· Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I looked up the RTR model Exp 9v. These are fairly nice vintage speakers and where generally held in high regard. The woofers are fairly substantial. You could greatly improve the sound by replacing the paper tweeters with some inexpensive soft domes from parts express. The crossovers are very basic and have no choke on the woofers, but that’s fine. The problem is usually the reset button, either fusing or getting stuck. Just bypass the reset buttons and they should work fine. Also check for solder points that have let go. If the cabinets still look nice and you used to like the sound, they’re certainly worth repairing, especially since you probably only have to bypass the reset buttons with a small jumper. If they still look nice and you get them working, and it’s usually the reset buttons, you might want to get a couple of soft domes from Parts Express for under $20.00.
reset button didn’t fix it.
Yah but If it’s a crossover problem, does that add it up to be too hard to install??
There was static prior to the speaker completely dying so it’s probably x overs .
There nice enough to fix as I cannot sell them.
I can try a replacement woofer but the tweeter is bad most likely also.

· Registered
5 Posts
I think the woofer and tweeter are probably fine. I think the simple crossover is fine too. I think it’s the reset button. Pressing it won’t fix it. It’s dead. This might be tricky for someone new to electronics but it’s really simple. That reset button has 2 connections. Just connect those 2 connections together by whatever means you know how. This will bypass the reset button. I think your speaker will work then. I hope this helps. Keep responding I don’t mind you bothering me at all. I mean, you’re not bothering me, is what I mean. Ha!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts