Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering an upgrade to a new 85” or 83” tv and need to know if it’s safe to buy an Oled tv. I know burn in used to be a big problem but I am not sure if it still exists. Oh, looking at the Sony or LG. Thanks in advance..Mike

·
Registered
227 Posts
At this stage, it appears that OLED tech will never be entirely free of image burn. It's easy to avoid... don't use the TV for any gaming that leaves something on the screen all the time (control panel, etc.). And if you leave the room, just turn off the TV to prevent the occasional tendency to walk away for 1 minute that ends up being 3 hours. OLED TVs even have timers to turn them off after an adjustable period of inactivity. Use that feature. If you have kids who might not be attentive to that, it may be better to stick with LCD/LED TVs. LG makes all the OLED panels (still), but LG uses their own LIMITED WebOS operating system. Sony uses "Google TV" operating system (Android TV) with 7000+ apps in the Google Play store (many, probably most, are free apps). Sony also supports Bluetooth headphones (not sure if LG does or not). The last Sony OLED I used was the new A80K--it had great images, even better than the equivalent model from the previous year. Costco is selling it for $1799 vs. $2200 MSRP and a price of $1999 on Sony.com. Costco also doubles the Sony Warranty for no extra charge. At Costco, the model number is A80CK and as far as I know, they only had the 65 inch version. It's difficult to find 85-inch OLED TVs. Sony's largest OLED is currently 77-inches (or was last month anyway). LG also has OLEDs in 77, but they are offering an 83-inch OLED for $5300 or an 88-inch OLED for $25,000. Also use care when shopping--this time of year, manufacturers are selling 2021 models at close-out prices while 2022 models have somewhat higher prices and newer features. Often just 1 digit in the model number indicates the year of manufacture... in LG C1 models are 2021 while C2 models are 2022/current models. A "model year" runs roughly from June to June with some overlap and some models do not appear until Sept or Oct. So 2021 models run from June 2021 to June 2022 (roughly). It can be complicated making sure prices and model years aren't getting mixed up as you decide which way to go. Sony has an imaging science edge on LG because they actively work with Sony Pictures Studios, their content-creating business so that everything they do in digital capture of content carries through to the best possible images on Sony TVs. There's no one thing you can point to that shows "Sony is better"--it's actually a raft of small things that helps Sony. Unpacking the compressed video and displaying it pixel for pixel... Sony is doing something "extra" that other TVs are missing. It prevents color banding in highlights of UHD/HDR content AND gives Sony a small edge in upconversion quality of 720p and 1080p sources. So even though a C2 LG and an A80K Sony may use the same panel, Sony builds-in their user interface and image processing "edge" which is small but noticeable if you have a comparison TV side by side.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts