Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Still on a mission from God to get this box designed. Working with a tc sounds lms ultra 5400 18". Box was going to be a sealed design but I voted against it as a would like to set my 46in flat screen on top of the sub that will be sitting right in front obviously. I would like to mount all cones facing out to the front so they are pointing at me. I was thinking of psi car audio passive radiators unless there is a better solution for the same quality or a little extra for the 2 i will need to purchase.

58 wide X 22 high and 18 deep. Will not mind if the box is 200 lbs plus before driver instalation. What ever it takes to keep it from moving. The main questions that I have are... #1: is this a good idea? #2: will the massive amount of cubic feet not alow me to do this without making it only a 3-4 cf box with 2 pr's on each side.

So many questions I don't know where to start. Someone help me please! Haha! Im starting to go crazy! If I go to the mental ward I won't be able to afford the cabinet build. Lol. Just need a quick hand at getting the plan down so I can jump into action. Thanks for your time. Sorry about the post I'm kinda a scatter brain.

·
Premium Member
5,869 Posts
Massive amount of cubic feet.....?

What are you saying there?

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is around 12.5 feet ok for a design like this? Will a lighter weight be needed for the r
Pr's? These things I don't know. 12.5 is a rough estimate.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is there a reputable website that you could recommend? so I can kinda have an idea what I'm in for. Can't wait to get started. Is there someone that could help with a plan possibly?

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I did not. I have bass box pro 6 but I don't know what I'm doing with that. I might have a go at it again.

·
Premium Member
19,397 Posts
What you are proposing is doable. Modeling shows 12 cu.ft. tuned to 20 hz with two PSI PR's that have 735 grams of mass added to each PR. Power is 2000 watts with a Hi-Pass filter at 20 hz. Think iNuke 3000 DSP or equivalent.

BUT, there is going to be a tremendous amount of inertia with all three components mounted on the same plane in a shallow depth cabinet. A 200 pound extremely well braced cabinet is a given to ensure no vibrations get to the TV, I personally wouldn't attempt this unless the cabinet is flush against the wall and secured to the wall studs with a couple of lag bolts.

Text Line Slope Diagram Plot

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Would a 15th tune be out of the question? I plan on a bomb proof box wit 3 in front baffle and back and the shorter sides 2 in and over braced inside. I probably won't be giving it more then 750 watts at any given time. Don't want an eviction notice. Lol

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I see. 20 Hz I don't think will be bad at all. I don't think I have experienced anything deeper the 30. I think I might just go ahead with this. If needed I can stick some blocks to take up the internal volume and tune it lower. Would that work or should I just buy matching tc sounds passive radiators?

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Would a different passive radiator drank be a better match? What are some other companies that make good passive radiators ?

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I would have to agree. Seems like that's what I'm going to get. Maybe I'll get matching tc passive's later when I'm a millionaire.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Got the psi 18"passive radiator's on the way and while I was at it I ordered the amp as well. A inuke nu3000 was the choice of amp. Kinda on a budget and it was on sale for $ 245. Couldent pass it up. Will be talking to the builder very soon.

·
Premium Member
5,869 Posts
Great to see things still moving ahead. :T

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks. It seems it's taking longer then I expected. Now it's time to plan that box and get a power supply for a mini dsp 2×4. Any ideas on what's needed? 500 ma at 12v?

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So the passive radiators came in and are very nicely constructed. I need to learn how to get pictures on here to show everyone.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Have you purchased the LMS 5400 yet? If not, I would consider the 18" TC Sounds 5100. I have it, and love it to death. If you are looking for a really strong sub <30hz the 5400 is the model to use. However if you like the broader range of lows, the 5100 is a better choice. I have a 5.5 cf LLT tuned to 18.5hz. This sub nocks hard and has a better range of sound production plus it utilizes neodymium and is 50lbs vs 80+. If you search the forum for the TC Sounds 5100 LLT you'll find my build with pics.

The 5400 is a great sub and I'll be buying one soon. However, if your going to have one, I think the 5100 is a better choice.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I have had the 5400 for about 7 months and I think it is way more then I will ever need and also completely overkill for what is needed in the setup. Just don't want to have to upgrade again. This setup will be just fine and way more then I ever dreamed of. Thanks for the advice. I wouldn't mind buying a 5100 for a second sub but I don't think I'll need it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts