Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Banned
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about the Panasonic PT-AE7000, but neither of the relevant mags have reviewed it, despite the fact its been out over one year?! The online reviews are very positive however.

It would replace a Panasonic PT-AX100U, which lightening killed recently. Before that, I had to oil (WD-40) the thing. But the picture was great, so I'm not giving up on them yet.

Any advice, anyone? I'd like to go 3-D.

Or, should I wait for a while...:dontknow:

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
Hello,
The most impressive sanely priced 3D Front Projector is Sony VPL-HW30ES. It has won countless awards including from Sound & Vision Magazine and many others. I really think where SXRD excels is in Black Level and as this is the foundation to excellent Video Quality, it makes the 30ES the one to get.
Cheers,
JJ

·
Banned
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks JJ,

The Sony VPL-HW30ES is the other main consideration. Are you just quoting the reviews, which I know about, or do you have actual experience with this guy?!

The one sales person I talked to, at ProjectorPeople, suggested that this Sony model was no longer available! But that was a sales person..

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
Hello,
I have recommended it to several friends who in turn set it up (rather they roped me into it) I have spent at least 100 hours watching Movies at HT's using this PJ.
Cheers,
JJ

·
Premium Member
7,209 Posts
While I have never seen the Sony, I do have the Panny 7000. I have been extremely pleased with the contrast and colors.

When I first fired it up, we put in How to Train your Dragon. My wife, who cares not one whit for PQ :rolleyesno:, actually said at the end of the movie that there were things she noticed that she did not catch in the theater.

That said, if I had it to do over again, I would probably take JJ's suggestion and give the Sony a go.

·
Banned
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, the Sony is in favor at the moment. But ALMfamily, why do you lean towards the Sony despite your positive comments on the Panny 7000? JJ's authority? Or additional testimony?

Thanks, both, for the input!

·
Premium Member
7,209 Posts
Ok, the Sony is in favor at the moment. But ALMfamily, why do you lean towards the Sony despite your positive comments on the Panny 7000? JJ's authority? Or additional testimony?

Thanks, both, for the input!
TBH, based on a few of the reviews I read since I purchased; but moreso, on JJ's recommendation - he recommended the 60GT50 that is now sitting in my living room which I bought sight unseen. I still have not done any calibration on it (much to my shame :R), and it is still by FAR the best TV I have ever owned. The PQ is absolutely stunning - again uncalibrated.

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
My authority!? I have no authority. Just being utterly obsessed with the minutiae of all things Audio and Video since I was 16. I did work at a fairly High End A/V Store out of UGA. I will say Stereophile Subscription also provides an excellent education. Especially Jonathan Scull's "Fine Tunes" and Kalman Rubinson's "Music in the Round". In addition to HT Magazine, Sound & Vision, Soundstage, and whatever else I can/could put my eyes on.

I also feel blessed that my best friend since I was 5 is a Professional Musician and Audiophile who owns a Recording Studio. It has been immensely helpful. As was Dealer Training with Paradigm, Runco, and others.
However, I have no authority. Just an unabated passion of AV.

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
Unbiased passion is what I'm looking for! Thanks, JJ
That I can offer you. Unlike almost all AV Forums, we do not have a Storefront. As a Moderator, I am not shackled to any brand or what of the brands offered have the highest profit margin. It was this last part that made me stop working for an AV Store.

I hated being tied to the brands we carried and being encouraged to speak ill of the brands offered by competing stores. This is why I spend so much time here. I hope this does not come off arrogant, but I cannot remember the last time I visited an AV Store and was not offered a job. I did seriously consider one which had offered me a General Manager position. I beg you to look back at my past posts as I have never mentioned this before spanning quite a few posts.

I aspire to be an advocate for the consumer. A consumer who is often misled by brands like Bose who by sheer force of marketing have done grave damage to High Fidelity Audio. And the forces of the Internet have radically changed most brick & mortar AV Stores who have torn down HiFi Showrooms in place of highly automated Home Theater Showcases.

It is because Custom Installation offers major profits and cannot be sold online. Sadly, it is now almost impossible in my cities to go to a store and audition a pair of speakers or other AV Component. Some are blessed to have traditional HiFi Stores, but they are under huge pressure due to the Internet. In addition, spurned by customers who have taken hours of Sales Associates time demoing equipment only to have them go online to purchase all these products, many customers are treated poorly. I have huge respect for Paradigm as they have made online purchases next to impossible which has protected their Dealer Network.
B&W, Rotel, and almost all Ultra High End Companies have similar policies.

Forgive the diatribe,
J

·
Banned
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That I can offer you. Unlike almost all AV Forums, we do not have a Storefront. As a Moderator, I am not shackled to any brand or what of the brands offered have the highest profit margin. It was this last part that made me stop working for an AV Store.

I hated being tied to the brands we carried and being encouraged to speak ill of the brands offered by competing stores. This is why I spend so much time here. I hope this does not come off arrogant, but I cannot remember the last time I visited an AV Store and was not offered a job. I did seriously consider one which had offered me a General Manager position. I beg you to look back at my past posts as I have never mentioned this before spanning quite a few posts.

I aspire to be an advocate for the consumer. A consumer who is often misled by brands like Bose who by sheer force of marketing have done grave damage to High Fidelity Audio. And the forces of the Internet have radically changed most brick & mortar AV Stores who have torn down HiFi Showrooms in place of highly automated Home Theater Showcases.

It is because Custom Installation offers major profits and cannot be sold online. Sadly, it is now almost impossible in my cities to go to a store and audition a pair of speakers or other AV Component. Some are blessed to have traditional HiFi Stores, but they are under huge pressure due to the Internet. In addition, spurned by customers who have taken hours of Sales Associates time demoing equipment only to have them go online to purchase all these products, many customers are treated poorly. I have huge respect for Paradigm as they have made online purchases next to impossible which has protected their Dealer Network.
B&W, Rotel, and almost all Ultra High End Companies have similar policies.

Forgive the diatribe,
J
JJ,

I asked for a brand, and in this forum, was hoping there were no shackles, in recommending one, and you did that (thanks). Your post convinces me you have no shackles! It does suggest that I should listen to what you say though....!

And, I will buy online. That's a reality, certainly in a small southern town where I live (but please, no worries about Bose, which I loved as 901s in 1970, but please see my current equipment list).

I hope I will hear from others on this matter. It must be a big question now, what to upgrade to for conventional front projection, that will provide a 3D future.

Thanks, again,

Paul

·
Banned
4,557 Posts
Are you interested in having lens memory? If so, the Panny is a great choice. When I bought my PJ, the Panny and the Sony were both frequently referred to as great buys... Perhaps the sony is better... I've never used it myself... Really comes down to what you really want the machine to do.

Check all the reviews on the two units... The 7000u is the 5000u in Europe. You can dig up even more dirt on it. Try a site called Trusted Reviews. Perhaps the Sony is sold under a different model number, also.

ALM - don't regret that 7000u. It's a great PJ!

·
Banned
4,557 Posts
Paul - when you buy online definitely - DEFINITELY - factor in the Internet company's return policy into your decision. It might be worth spending a tad more to go with a company that is a little more lenient. The policies vary widely... And you don't want to get burned just in case you don't like the PJ. Just my 2 cents.

T

·
Banned
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
27dnast,

I don't know what 'lens memory' is, I'm embarrassed to say! Please help.

I've taken your point on buying online with knowledge of return policy, thanks for the heads-up.

Paul

·
Banned
4,557 Posts
Lens memory allows you to set you PJ up to fill a 2.35:1 screen (for widescreen movies) and 16:9 content (switching between the two at the push of a button). This really would only matter if you have a 2.35 : 1 screen. If you do, it's nice to have.

·
Premium Member
7,209 Posts
Are you interested in having lens memory? If so, the Panny is a great choice. When I bought my PJ, the Panny and the Sony were both frequently referred to as great buys... Perhaps the sony is better... I've never used it myself... Really comes down to what you really want the machine to do.

Check all the reviews on the two units... The 7000u is the 5000u in Europe. You can dig up even more dirt on it. Try a site called Trusted Reviews. Perhaps the Sony is sold under a different model number, also.

ALM - don't regret that 7000u. It's a great PJ!
Oh, I do not at all. You are correct - it is a great PJ. I purchased it thinking I would be using the 3D capabilities more - I have not watched one movie in 3D yet......

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
OK, who has watched 3D, with either the Sony or the Panasonic?

But maybe I won't either!
I have. It is pretty impressive for what it is. I still have zero enthusiasm for 3D.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts