Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, thanks for all the advice and information you've gathered here. Just wanted to get that out first.

Ok, now my question is this...

I've decided to spend around $2k. I decided to go with the Onkyo 805 and the SVS speakers. The SBS 5.1 package with the 10 inch sub to be exact. I've seen this set-up recommended before as it all sounds like great quality for the money.

This will be the first time setting up any type of surround sound. Is it a complicated thing to do? Lot of words and phrases floating around the forums that I can only guess at. I heard that there is a way to automatically set things up with the 805. Next concern is to make sure that the 805 has enough hook-ups. I want to run a cable box/ps3/wii through it. The first 2 use hdmi and the wii uses component. Will there be any problem with this?

Thanks for all the help.

Apollyon

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Alright, came across another question. I've never bought any stereo equip as nice as this and didn't realize that wiring is a separate deal. Is there any special wire or gauge of wire I would need? Seems to be a lot of different types and all of them claim different things.

Also, I've wondered if there are any differences in hdmi cables. Some people I've talked to says that quality does matter, while others say that hdmi is either off or on and that there is no quality difference.

Any help would be great, thanks.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Someone mentioned hooking the sub up a different way. Anyone have any thoughts on that. I also heard that a back corner is the best place to put the sub, any thoughts?

Someone posted a wire table for me to look at and I must confess that I'm a little confused. According to the table for my svs speakers and the onkyo 905 I would use the 8 ohm column and everything is under 12 feet. Most everyone I talk to says that 22 or 20 wire is a bit thin. Can anyone explain that table to me. As far as I know I bought some pretty good stuff and I would hate to diminish the quality by buying poor wire, or get robbed by buying whatever monster cable best buy recommends.

Thanks in advance.

P.S. - I decided on the 905 to make it more future proof. Still waiting on the receiver and deciding on the wire.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts