Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought that I could share few pics of my monoblock project from last fall.

Modules are from http://www.newclassd.com/index.php?page=2&hv=1
including:
- NewClassD NCDX Discrete 480 W in 4 Ohms Discrete Class D Module
- Soft Start Circuit + DC / RFI Filter and power control Combo
- Power Supply Board 10.000/63 4 layer with Ultra Fast Recovery Diodes 4 wire
- Toroids 2 x 42 VAC 1000VA

Enclosures+feet from ebay. Connectors and inner cabling from ebay and from my own collection. Painting also my own work.

First test setup:

After testing disassmbled and painted the enclosures for my liking.

Overall costs around $2000 without painting for pair. I am very pleased with the sound, bass is controlled and no interference at all. Toroids make some noise in the enclosure, but when listening music, it's not audible at all.

·
Premium Member
5,817 Posts
Awesome build!!! :T :T

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
WOW !! Ive been drooling over the NewClassD website for over a year :bigsmile: AMAZING work on the chassis !! Jealous as an audiophile can be Sir :drool:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
First of all, thank you for your compliments :) I have to say, that I'm still very satisfied with those two. Of course, I don't know any better ones, commercial or diy, so no need for upgrading. And if I'm smart, I don't even think about any testing with other "better" amps ;)

Can you give any details on the paint job ?
Paint job is quite simple in the end. First I laid black acrylic paint (2 component car paint, what do you call it..). I let it dry over night and next day I took red metallic base coat, laid wet coat of it over one panel and after that I "broke" the paint with cling film. Rubbed it around and tapped with it, so I got that structure to look like, well, maybe marble (not quite), but some little more "expensive" look than anodized aluminium.

Finally lots of clear coat. I was planning to polish it at the end to get rid of the imperfections, but I got lazy and forgot it.

Corner parts are painted with that same black acrylic paint and front and rear panels are painted with that same metallic red.

Now I have also painted the DIY preamp and Audiolab 8200CD -player with the same theme. Fronts are red and sides/tops are painted with that "special" recipe.

OT:
Audiolab:

Relaixed preamp:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Same seller had/has also those aluminium feet, which I have with those enclosures. Looks better than the rubber ones which comes with the enclosure and are easy to install with two sided acrylic tape. Or with screws if preferred.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ya made in China... 2 months for delivery .......
For China quality, these have been excellent enclosures. I ordered one pair to my friend and installed his Hypex modules in them.

For delivery time, first pair for myself I ordered August 14th 2013 and August 31st I had first amp put together for test drive. So delivery time was actually about two weeks. Of course delivery time depends where you are ordering them to be shipped.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Did you ever post a review of the Dexa Class D amps ?? Im dying to build some ... but they are quite expensive...
If you meant me, no, I haven't wrote a review. I don't have so much experience with hifi equipment so that review wouldn't be any good.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Love the paintjob!
I found myself more than once wanting to build something like this as well, but always doubted my technical skills as well as my patience to actually finish such a project.
You seem to have the skills for both...:clap:

1 - 20 of 36 Posts