Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 5.1 system with in-ceiling speakers by SpeakerCraft. The only reason that I do not have surround-backs (7.1 system) is the fact that there is a wall 20 inches behind my seating area.

The surrounds are over head to my left and right installed in a 10 foot high ceiling and 3 feet from the back wall.

My question:

In your opinion would placing a sixth speaker (used as a surround back, 6.1) over head, in between the L & R surrounds, aimed directly at the back wall to create a bounce-back do any good when playing a 6.1 or a 7.1 source?

OR would it be a waste of time and money and create nothing more than the now 5.1 system???

m

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
In your current situation I dont see any advantage to adding the 6th speaker as you describe.

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
There is very little software with the back channel, and with the position of your surrounds I do not see any benefit either in adding that 6th speaker.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
In your current situation I dont see any advantage to adding the 6th speaker as you describe.
That is what SpeakerCraft thought also. But I don't always trust the EXPERTS opinions. One case in point is: Chris, CEO and founder of Audyssey, said he didn't think using the DSX Wides in ceiling speakers would do anything. I went ahead and installed 2 SpeakerCraft Time 5's to discover that has been one of my best upgrades for audio.

Time 5

So, even if an expert says no, I still like getting members opinion.

Thanks

m

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.