Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

181 - 200 of 363 Posts

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
OK, here is one for everyone - my neighbor was telling me he knows someone who is selling some "German made speakers that are oil cooled". I have no idea what company that might be - anyone heard of this type of speaker before?
I would tell your friend to be wary for starters, and get the name of the company in case it's a white van scam.

That said, it could be a reference to some form of ferrofluid, which is commonly used in loudspeaker cooling.

·
Registered
47 Posts
OK, here is one for everyone - my neighbor was telling me he knows someone who is selling some "German made speakers that are oil cooled". I have no idea what company that might be - anyone heard of this type of speaker before?
Could be some old Grundig, probably is in fact. "Oil cooled" means nothing. It's technology that's still used today, it just doesn't get as much press anymore. PHOTOS?

·
Premium Member
7,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #183
No photos - he was not all that interested in it - just mentioned it to me since he knew I was building.

Teaser alert - went to Saturday Audio today and listened to the PSB Synchrony Ones, the Sonus Faber Liutos, the PSB Imagine T2s, the GoldenEar Triton IIs (again), and the Totem Acoustic Hawks. I will be updating the thread / google doc this weekend with my impressions.

·
Premium Member
7,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #186
Sorry, a couple days later than promised, but I have updated the Google doc with my impressions of the following speakers auditioned on 3/23. Again, a link to the document has been placed in the first post in this thread. I have added a new page - Current Ranking Order to allow me to track where each one fits in comparison to the others.

PSB Synchrony Ones
Sonus Faber Liutos
GoldenEar Triton IIs (second audition at new store)
PSB Image T2s
Totem Acoustic Hawks

Quick Impressions - the Synchrony Ones and Liutos were the highlight of the auditions - both were great listens with the edge to the Synch Ones for my planned usage as well as the product flexibility.

Next up - a trip to the local American TV to listem to the Polk LSiM707s.

·
Premium Member
7,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #189
I sent out a message to Energy support in an attempt to find a dealer for the Veritas 6.3 and RC-70 speakers a couple weeks ago. They responded today - interestingly enough, I did not realize that Energy is made by Klipsch (as the message came from the Klipsch Group support):

Thank you for your email and your interest in our current Energy brand products. The landscape of audio dealer has changed dramatically over the past several years and even more so during the economic depression of the past four years. In addition, the Energy brand has changed since the former Canadian based company, Audio Products International (API) went out of business (they would have been the company who would have engineered and designed the former Reference Connoisseur (RC) line which would have included the RC-70 model.

The only access to dealer locations we would have visibility to would be the same as that listed on the website "where to buy" locator and we would not have any visibility as to which dealer has what on display or in stock (American TV is not listed among the dealers when I typed in your zip code under the where to buy locator).

Please re-check the locator. I can tell you that the current Veritas are only listed under a couple of "internet" dealers as the distribution of this line has changed and would be only available in limited distribution inside the US.

After following the link provided, ironically enough American TV DOES still show on the local dealer list.....

Long story short - the Energy speakers might be an incredibly hard find for auditions.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have the PSB T6's and after many years and $, I have to say they are hard to beat for the money. The new PSB Imagine T2's look to be very very nice also. A good sub (or two) is a must.

·
Registered
3,697 Posts
Nuance, there is an existing thread, found here. Feel free to bump it up, I'd like to see more discussion about Dennis Murphy's Philharmonic speakers.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Nuance, there is an existing thread, found here. Feel free to bump it up, I'd like to see more discussion about Dennis Murphy's Philharmonic speakers.
Thanks - I must have misspelled philharmonic when searching to see if a thread already existed. My bad; sorry.

·
Registered
199 Posts
No worries - glad to see you are still checking up on me! :)
But of course! I am enjoying your progress thus far and look forward to meeting you in person in just over two weeks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just ran across this thread. While I was tempted to only buy new and did when starting out I slowly discovered that for $$ spent I was better served with used speakers and power amps. Currently I have Infinity Kappa 8's for front mains and infinity RS-6b"s for sides and rears and used the drivers and crossovers of an RS-6 in a cabinet I built for a center channel and Kappa 5.0's (small 2 way acoustic suspension) for presence I got the Kappa 8's for $ 600 and the others for about 240 a pair. Though the 8's don't really need subs I built a pair using 15" tempest drivers and built an adjustable Linkwitz transform to dial in the q I want for the home theater. I drive all these with old hafler xl 280's and a xl 600 with a Yamaha Aventage rx-1000 receiver for a front end and for the presence and rear speakers. I have no idea what equivalent new speakers and amps would cost.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Just ran across this thread. While I was tempted to only buy new and did when starting out I slowly discovered that for $$ spent I was better served with used speakers and power amps. Currently I have Infinity Kappa 8's for front mains and infinity RS-6b"s for sides and rears and used the drivers and crossovers of an RS-6 in a cabinet I built for a center channel and Kappa 5.0's (small 2 way acoustic suspension) for presence I got the Kappa 8's for $ 600 and the others for about 240 a pair. Though the 8's don't really need subs I built a pair using 15" tempest drivers and built an adjustable Linkwitz transform to dial in the q I want for the home theater. I drive all these with old hafler xl 280's and a xl 600 with a Yamaha Aventage rx-1000 receiver for a front end and for the presence and rear speakers. I have no idea what equivalent new speakers and amps would cost.
I was bored so I looked them up! :bigsmile:

The Kappa 8's were $2000 new in 1987. Excellent speaker by the way! I had both the Kappa 8.1 and the 6.1 as fronts and rears in a day when I had a larger room. The 6B's were $640 a pair brand new in 1985. The Halfer 280 was $725 new in 1986 (do you have one or two?) and the Halfer 600 was $1250 in 1988. Adjusted for inflation to US dollars 2010 (the calculator didn't have numbers for 2011 or 2012 yet) those Kappa 8's would cost $3,787 a pair, the 6B's would be $1279 a pair, the 280 would be $1422 and the 600 a whopping $2273 in "today's money" (2010). A grand total of $8,761 for two pair of speakers and two amps. :gulp:

Subwoofers used, especially higher end ones, are usually very difficult to go wrong with. They tend to be pretty well cared for and because they aren't usually placed somewhere that draws the eye a lot can be a very good investment.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Adding another 280 the the drivers and crossover for the center and the 5's puts me over 10K so I am getting close to 5 to one. No way I could spend 10K on amps and speakers. The electric bill is high in the summer but the sound is worth it. The plasma is looking a bit small so next a screen and projector. I was also very fond of a par of Dalquist DQ-10's but they or my amp could not handle the dynamic range of digital recordings.

My intent was to encourage "Newb" to consider the cost to value ratio of some classic gear.

·
Registered
3,697 Posts
Hafler XL series is a very good value. These amps were way ahead of their time and still competitive today.

181 - 200 of 363 Posts