Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
261 - 280 of 363 Posts
Hello,
Due to PM's with Joe, I am now seriously contemplating the Focal Diva Utopia BE's that are available for an absurdly good price at a fairly well known Website. I have been thinking about them the past couple of days and am on the ledge due to just how good of a deal they are. And I have always wanted Utopia Series Focals. Especially when coupled with the Inverted Dome Beryllium Tweeter that is used on Wilson Audio's $150,000 Alexandria's and other Ultra High End Speakers. Compared to the CM Series, the Diva Utopia's are truly in another stratosphere.
Cheers,
JJ

Sorry, it was a horrible attempt at humor. I sincerely hope you do go for it, and, if so, look forward to hearing how you like them in your space.
No worries. I am on a Posting binge as there is a Thread with a Member debating how whether to use a Custom Installer for everything or purchasing the gear himself. This Thread has taken a good amount of time as it is a $13-15,000 budget.

In all truth, I really hope you get the Diva's as I just do not think you can go wrong with them. I truly understand wanting to listen to them first, but sometimes a leap of faith is needed when you can get an amazing deal. For what the Utopia's are selling for, you could always sell them down the road and possibly break even or worst case lose very little of what you invested. The Revel Ultima Studio is another classic that is almost without fault. Really was the Speaker that put Revel on the map.
All the best,
J

Discussion starter · #266 ·
No worries. I am on a Posting binge as there is a Thread with a Member debating how whether to use a Custom Installer for everything or purchasing the gear himself. This Thread has taken a good amount of time as it is a $13-15,000 budget.

In all truth, I really hope you get the Diva's as I just do not think you can go wrong with them. I truly understand wanting to listen to them first, but sometimes a leap of faith is needed when you can get an amazing deal. For what the Utopia's are selling for, you could always sell them down the road and possibly break even or worst case lose very little of what you invested. The Revel Ultima Studio is another classic that is almost without fault. Really was the Speaker that put Revel on the map.
All the best,
J
I know - I have been following it. I cannot keep up with the posts!

Have you had a chance to hear any of the Soundscape speakers from Jim Salk? I am wondering how those would compare.

On a different note - we are planning on taking the kids to Disney in October. If we could manage it and you are up for it, it sure would be great to get together (sans kids!) while I was down that way.

Have you had a chance to hear any of the Soundscape speakers from Jim Salk? I am wondering how those would compare.
I still think you need to hear the philharmonics properly functioning. Dennis feels the speakers are extremely alike in everything except deep bass output.

I had loads of fun Patrick - it was perfect to have a nice laid back GTG where we just shot the breeze and listened to some great speakers..

What I thought was cool is that you could tell Aaron was really into this - when he started talking about your bedroom system, he was really animated and into it. Awesome......
Cool.... some people really just take all this stuff WAY TOO SERIOUSLY, when all it really is supposed to be is a hobby.... Especially the Arm Chair Warriors pointing out all the flaws of the way things were handled and done.... Hell, they'd have a field day with how much booze we put down that night if they really wanted to start lookin at my GTG's... LOL

Yeah Aaron is a hoot.... I met him on Audioholics years back, helped him with integrating his subwoofer with an SMS-1... after I saw his streaming media setup I made a deal with him to just keep the SMS-1 and help me design and build out my Network server and streaming of HD media in my house....

Needless to say we hit it off pretty good with both our personalities being off the hook crazy :dumbcrazy::devil::neener::rofl:

I know - I have been following it. I cannot keep up with the posts!

On a different note - we are planning on taking the kids to Disney in October. If we could manage it and you are up for it, it sure would be great to get together (sans kids!) while I was down that way.
That would be great. I truly recommend checking out Siesta Key Beach, It was rated the Number 1 Beach in the United States by Dr. Beach and has won countless other awards. Honestly is beautiful around here. My brother with the 1038's lived in Orlando until a few months ago. I wish he was still there as his 2 Channel and 5.1 HT are utterly obscene. He uses Billy Bags Stands for even his Media and his 2 Channel Rig is the Focals, Rogue Audio M-180 Tube Monoblocks, Rogue Audio Preamp, Rockport Turntable, Nordost Valhalla Speaker Cables and Interconnects and a Sony SCD-1. It is close to $100,000 just for his 2 Channel Rig. Punk has yet to work a single day in his life...

Discussion starter · #271 ·
I still think you need to hear the philharmonics properly functioning. Dennis feels the speakers are extremely alike in everything except deep bass output.
And, I really don't need the deep bass output. Especially since my 1st attempt at a DIY sub might just be something like those Xcelerators Warpdrv has! I do not remember if it was posted or not, but the Phil IIs at the SE WI GTG had an issue - I believe it was a wire disconnected on the xover, is that right GranteedEV?

Cool.... some people really just take all this stuff WAY TOO SERIOUSLY, when all it really is supposed to be is a hobby.... Especially the Arm Chair Warriors pointing out all the flaws of the way things were handled and done.... Hell, they'd have a field day with how much booze we put down that night if they really wanted to start lookin at my GTG's... LOL

Yeah Aaron is a hoot.... I met him on Audioholics years back, helped him with integrating his subwoofer with an SMS-1... after I saw his streaming media setup I made a deal with him to just keep the SMS-1 and help me design and build out my Network server and streaming of HD media in my house....

Needless to say we hit it off pretty good with both our personalities being off the hook crazy :dumbcrazy::devil::neener::rofl:
I think I just found a source if I ever decide to go with a media server! :)

That would be great. I truly recommend checking out Siesta Key Beach, It was rated the Number 1 Beach in the United States by Dr. Beach and has won countless other awards. Honestly is beautiful around here. My brother with the 1038's lived in Orlando until a few months ago. I wish he was still there as his 2 Channel and 5.1 HT are utterly obscene. He uses Billy Bags Stands for even his Media and his 2 Channel Rig is the Focals, Rogue Audio M-180 Tube Monoblocks, Rogue Audio Preamp, Rockport Turntable, Nordost Valhalla Speaker Cables and Interconnects and a Sony SCD-1. It is close to $100,000 just for his 2 Channel Rig. Punk has yet to work a single day in his life...
Sounds great Jack - I will PM you when the date gets closer. Sorry, have you heard any of the Soundscape offerings as of yet?

And, that is just crazy. I think I need his "job".

Discussion starter · #272 ·
So have you gotten the Sheffield Labs Drum And Track disc yet? How'd you like Track 1 on it?

Max
I did! And it was everything you said it was - I had taken it to Warpdrv's house but we did not have a chance to hear it. I am permanently adding it to my audition list. Thanks for the suggestion!

Sounds great Jack - I will PM you when the date gets closer. Sorry, have you heard any of the Soundscape offerings as of yet?

And, that is just crazy. I think I need his "job".

I second this to the N-th degree...

I have heard a rediculous amount of high end speakers, although not the Focal Be's but I'm not going to lie - nothing has sounded as good as the Salk SoundScapes...

Shame, I also didn't get to hear the Phils at their best either, what I heard was nothing like the SS's, but damaged wiring will certainly do that.

I have to get a copy of that Drum and Track disc... Funny the street I grew up on was Sheffield... LOL

BTW Jack.... If you really want to blow your mind, and save your wallet, you really owe it to yourself to have a look at these focals.... http://www.focalprofessional.com/en/sm6-line/

Everything that the Hifi series has + a built in amp for a ridiculously low price...

I have read a few people that bought these and sat them side by side with the Electra 1000 Be's...
identical sound...

BTW Jack.... If you really want to blow your mind, and save your wallet, you really owe it to yourself to have a look at these focals.... http://www.focalprofessional.com/en/sm6-line/

Everything that the Hifi series has + a built in amp for a ridiculously low price...

I have read a few people that bought these and sat them side by side with the Electra 1000 Be's...
identical sound...

My best friend since I was 5 has a pair Focal Studio Active Monitors. He is a Professional Trumpet Player, Owns a Studio, played in a Rock Band with a full Horn Section (Grand Torino), and is proficient at Piano, Guitar, and many other instruments. His Wife's Grandmother spends the Winter on the same Barrier Island I live on so I get to see him 4-5 times a year. He still lives in Knoxville, TN where I grew up. He is one of my major audio sounding boards and vice versa, I turned him on to the TX-SR805 when it was released. In addition, we both purchased Paradigm Monitor 7's on the same day when we were 18 without either of us knowing that the other was planning on it as he attended The University of Tennessee and I attended UGA, He also played in the Pride of the Southland Marching Band which is UT's Band at Football Games.

Just my .02 but the 5 months we owned a pair of 1038be's I thought they sounded incredible but also I think our 802D's beat them by a mile (I do understand the diamonds are in a different price point) in everything but form-factor. Focal makes some nice looking speakers! My wife also listens a lot more often which to me is the ultimate testament. I probably sound like a broken record and should look for a spokesman deal with B&W but their style of sound is my personal favorite. The diamond tweeter is so... so... spacious and open yet smooth and refined with spot on mids that make you think "that's how I always imagined his/her voice sounded" I have said my peace now and will shut up about B&W.

welll......
....To each his own :D

And, I really don't need the deep bass output. Especially since my 1st attempt at a DIY sub might just be something like those Xcelerators Warpdrv has! I do not remember if it was posted or not, but the Phil IIs at the SE WI GTG had an issue - I believe it was a wire disconnected on the xover, is that right GranteedEV?
What happened with the Philharmonic speakers was unfortunate, but it's not like the midrange driver wasn't working at all in one of the speakers; that would not have gone un-noticed by 25 audio enthusiasts, nor did it show up in my measurements. When they first arrived and sounded odd, Terry (TJHUB) put his ear to the drivers to be sure they were all playing, which they were. I can only speculate that the midrange wire was loose, perhaps shorting out occasionally; that would explain the issue we heard. It likely worked its way completely loose during return shipping to Dennis.

Cool, although I urge you to take the time to listen to some Salk Soundscapes if at all possible, they truly are giant killers.

There is NO ESCAPING the Soundscapes!!
Agreed. I'm trying desperately to find something better for the money, but I've come up empty handed thus far. The SoundScape's really are giant killers, taking down the likes of Revel, Kef and Dynaudio. I just need to win the lotto to be able to own a pair anytime soon. Joe and I are trying to plan a trip to Pontiac, Michigan to pay Jim Salk and Pete a visit; we're planning on scoring an audition of the SS8's.

261 - 280 of 363 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.