Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

321 - 340 of 363 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #321
Joe, when they say big amps need big heatsinks, that doesn't mean you need to put them next to the kitchen sink :p

They certainly look reallly cool. :T
Too funny! I tried to pick them up from them table, but they are 70 lbs a piece so I figured I better not put them too low or this old guy would never get them back up! :eek:lddude:

Oh man, I have lusted after the Palladium monoblocs since day one, good score!
Thanks!

·
Premium Member
734 Posts
WOW!!! I'm speechless. MonoBlocks were the last class of amp I expected you were looking for..., you must have got these for a dance.

Or are these a Dan D'Agostino (from Krell) design and parts purchase. Do the transistors have Mondail or Aragon printed on the metal transistor case and so prior to Klipsch take over.

These are about a light-year in improvements on the Acurus amps which are supposed to be very nice amps. Acurus has a very nice reputation for sound and quality and Aragon was closer to the reference class for Mondail.

They are beautiful and if they sound as impressive as they look..., WOW!!!

·
Premium Member
7,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #323
WOW!!! I'm speechless. MonoBlocks were the last class of amp I expected you were looking for..., you must have got these for a dance.

Or are these a Dan D'Agostino (from Krell) design and parts purchase. Do the transistors have Mondail or Aragon printed on the metal transistor case and so prior to Klipsch take over.

These are about a light-year in improvements on the Acurus amps which are supposed to be very nice amps. Acurus has a very nice reputation for sound and quality and Aragon was closer to the reference class for Mondail.

They are beautiful and if they sound as impressive as they look..., WOW!!!
Yup - these are prior to the Klipsch take-over. Just finished hooking them up now as I got my cables in today - good news is that everything is working after a quick test run - hope to get a bit more time later tonight to take them for a test drive.

·
Premium Member
734 Posts
I forgot to ask about your cables? What did you decide to start out with? you can PM if you... You'll notice nobody offered advice on cables and except for my curiosity nobody even asked you for your thoughts on the topic.

I will admit it is one topic with lots of baggage. All I've got to say is it must have been one hellatious raucous growing pain here at HTS that put cables discussions off limits.

In any case your cables need to acclimate to your system and Visa-Verse and there is a break in period for any cable worth the wait.

Break-ins and acclimation do not need volume. You can leave them on at a whisper for the complete break-in period. Of course you have to turn it up from time to time to check on progress. The progression of changes is interesting.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Yup - these are prior to the Klipsch take-over. Just finished hooking them up now as I got my cables in today - good news is that everything is working after a quick test run - hope to get a bit more time later tonight to take them for a test drive.
Joe, hope you have Michelin tires on those Hot Rods, drive carefully my friend...............
Jeff

·
Premium Member
7,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #326
An update to this thread - I had decided to go with Song Surrounds for my side and rear surrounds. I received them this past Thursday. Here is a pic of the outer box:

I stripped off the outer box and they were completely encased in styrofoam. All the paperwork was attached:

The birth certificate!

Once the top piece came off, each was wrapped in static free wrap and encased in it's own foam area:

Here is one unwrapped with grill off:

Grill on:

The finish is fiddleback sycamore - I really liked how TJHub's looked when I saw them at the GTG last April so I decided to go with that for a finish:

Last, a pic of the woofer:

I have not had a chance to hook them up yet - looking forward to seeing how they sound!

·
Registered
303 Posts
nice!!!

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
Joe,
Very nice. Between the 60GT50 and these Surrounds, you have had quite a past week or so. So when is your 60GT50 being delivered?
Cheers,
J

·
Premium Member
734 Posts
Very Very Nice!!! Wow they are impressive for such a little speaker. Magentic grill catches, beautiful finish, love the broad radius edge but the drivers are beautiful.
Nice find!!!

·
Premium Member
734 Posts
What is your choice for speaker wire. I dislike second guessing especially after the fact. I know some of these guys can be a bore (Ha) with all recommendations so let me be brief..., Furutech $7 per meter Ultra Pure OFC Cryogenicly treated 16ga with .023 ohm resistance per M with impedance and inductance very low as well. Neotech makes some nice speaker cable as well (no cryogenics). With Furutech you can buy all the way up to 7 ohm's per Kilometer 99.9999% OCC (Professor Ohno Continuous Cast) copper.

Sorry

·
Premium Member
7,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #331
Thanks Caper!

Joe,
Very nice. Between the 60GT50 and these Surrounds, you have had quite a past week or so. So when is your 60GT50 being delivered?
Cheers,
J
Thanks JJ! I am picking up the GT50 today - hopefully, I can get it set up before we go camping.

Very Very Nice!!! Wow they are impressive for such a little speaker. Magentic grill catches, beautiful finish, love the broad radius edge but the drivers are beautiful.
Nice find!!!
Thanks Greg! I have been very impressed with the build and sound quality of all the Salk speakers I have had an opportunity to hear - can't wait to get them set up.

What is your choice for speaker wire. I dislike second guessing especially after the fact. I know some of these guys can be a bore (Ha) with all recommendations so let me be brief..., Furutech $7 per meter Ultra Pure OFC Cryogenicly treated 16ga with .023 ohm resistance per M with impedance and inductance very low as well. Neotech makes some nice speaker cable as well (no cryogenics). With Furutech you can buy all the way up to 7 ohm's per Kilometer 99.9999% OCC (Professor Ohno Continuous Cast) copper.

Sorry
No worries - I have been running standard wire (from Monoprice) in my initial set-ups. Once I have everything finished in my HT and everything dialed in, I plan on taking a closer look at wire to see for myself if I can detect any difference.

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
Joe,
I really miss going backpacking. That is awesome you and yours are going Camping. It has only been in the past 7 or so years that I have lived in SW Florida. Prior, I lived in Tennessee, Georgia, and South Carolina and traveled extensively. During these years, I used to go on at least 5 day long trips where we would bring in Water Filters and hike for 20 miles and more. I still have all my gear, I just need to get back into it. I used to be a gear geek about hard core backpacking and now it is all about hard core couching.
J

·
Premium Member
7,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #333
Joe,
I really miss going backpacking. That is awesome you and yours are going Camping. It has only been in the past 7 or so years that I have lived in SW Florida. Prior, I lived in Tennessee, Georgia, and South Carolina and traveled extensively. During these years, I used to go on at least 5 day long trips where we would bring in Water Filters and hike for 20 miles and more. I still have all my gear, I just need to get back into it. I used to be a gear geek about hard core backpacking and now it is all about hard core couching.
J
Wow - that sounds pretty heavy duty! Our version of "camping" involves a 35' fifth wheel. ;)

Got the GT50 set up - man, this thing looks amazing straight out of the box. I hooked up the BR that came with it and popped in Up - I cannot even conceive of the difference in the set we were watching before this one.

Oh my - the balloon scene just came on. Amazing color........

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
Wow - that sounds pretty heavy duty! Our version of "camping" involves a 35' fifth wheel. ;)

Got the GT50 set up - man, this thing looks amazing straight out of the box. I hooked up the BR that came with it and popped in Up - I cannot even conceive of the difference in the set we were watching before this one.

Hello,
It is utterly gorgeous and honestly seems to look better each day. I am currently using the Cnet Settings, but am going to run both Avia and Digital Video Essentials tonight. I would recommend using Full Screen 16:9 sources for the first 100 hours. I did not use Color Slides, but did minimize watching TV Channels with logos. For BD Movies, I would fill in the Black Bars. TV on BD does not require doing that.

In another life (it seems) I was pretty heavy duty into Backpacking. I had the same compulsion to have the absolute best in Mountaineering Gear. I am glad I still have expedition level gear. For instance, having Gore Tex Jackets and Pants has been amazing living in Florida as the rain can be often torrential. I miss living near Mountains... Also, the fluke times when it gets cold here (for Florida) it is awesome to have tons of Cashmere, Goose Down, etc...
Cheers,
JJ

·
Registered
976 Posts

Joe, what size did you get GT50, and from where if you don't mind me asking.
Jeff

·
Premium Member
7,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #336
Jeff
Jeff,

I got the same set that JJ did - the 60GT50 - and from the same place. BB was matching the price Amazon had and BB online was including the BDP-220 in the deal. It was $1899 which IIRC was over $700 less than MSRP - not including the cost of the BDP itself.

Pretty sure this deal ended last Saturday though.....

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
Jeff
Jeff,
BB relowered it to $1899 again. When I checked on Sunday, it went back to $2099. However, the free BDP offer has ended as it was a Panasonic Promotion. Amazingly at my BB, when I picked up the BDP, they messed up and ended up discounting the TV all the way to $1750 and then charging me $150 for the BDP.
All they needed to have done is ring up the TV and BDP and the BDP would have zeroed out as it did on BB.Com. I went in late at night an the Manager on duty was pretty young and might not have known what he was doing.

Now, I can actually return the BDP and put that money towards an Extended Warranty. Even better the Extended Warranty comes down to $299 for 4 years from $499 because of the price change.
Cheers,
JJ

·
Registered
487 Posts
Jungle Jack said:
Also, the fluke times when it gets cold here (for Florida) it is awesome to have tons of Cashmere, Goose Down, etc...
Cheers,
JJ
As the Canadians reading here shake their heads in bewilderment!!

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
Hello,
I know. 2 Winters ago it actually did almost get down to 32F/0C for those away from the ocean. I honestly believe that you both get used to the oppressive heat and humidity and lose your ability to handle the cold as well. I grew up quite close to Smoky Mountains National Park and we often got snow. However, every time I come home during winter or fall after 6+ years here, I am unbelievably cold.
Cheers,
J

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
As the Canadians reading here shake their heads in bewilderment!!
LOL, so true but in all honesty I dont know how people down south deal with 95F or higher temps. I know I know, everyone has A/C but you cant do anything outside in that kind of heat. At least in -25 you can just dress warm and still go out. :dumbcrazy:

321 - 340 of 363 Posts