Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

341 - 360 of 363 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
Hello,
Indeed. I would far prefer extreme cold to extreme heat. In truth, the only reason I ended up in Florida was the original school I was going to attend for TCM/Acupuncture (Traditional Chinese Medicine) in Asheville, NC was not accredited at the time I was to begin. My father is an M.D PHD who attended a Medical Acupuncture Program at UCLA and setup an Office for Acupuncture at one of the Hospitals he works at and offered to send me to school so I could work with him. With the other school out, he found the school I ended up attending in Sarasota, FL. I ended up not even visiting before moving down here.

When I first got here I lived in an Apartment. (it was at the height of the housing bubble) I happened to live on the 2nd Floor with an 85 year old woman living right below me. To say she did not appreciate my dual Paradigm Studio 100's, Servo 15, Studio CC based HT at the time was the understatement of the century. While she had lived in the same apt for over 10 years, the Management Company could not stand her and I was honestly quite close with them. Even though I took my Servo 15 offline, it was not good enough for her. After 4 months, she moved out and as soon as my lease ended I moved to one the barrier islands off the coast of Sarasota and into a house. Only bad thing was that as soon as I moved to the West of the Intercoastal Waterway (live on the Gulf of Mexico) State Farm immediately dropped my Renters Insurance. Worse still, only small Insurance Companies offer it and the best quote I got was $15,000 a year. Still drives me crazy.
Forgive the tangent,
J

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
Duramax. The combination of the Allison Transmission with the Duramax is outstanding.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Jeff,

I got the same set that JJ did - the 60GT50 - and from the same place. BB was matching the price Amazon had and BB online was including the BDP-220 in the deal. It was $1899 which IIRC was over $700 less than MSRP - not including the cost of the BDP itself.

Pretty sure this deal ended last Saturday though.....
Joe, thanks Buddy, that's the one I'm looking at, my Panny TH-50PZ77 is still running strong and PQ is amazing after almost four years, the BDP-220 sure is a bonus included with the GT50, great find my friend. Joe make sure you register the GT50 at PlasmaConcierge.com, direct hotline to Panasonic Tech support and warranty service, great customer and warranty service from Panasonic in my experiences with them, direct number to them 1-800-973-4390. Take care my friend, hope this helps.:T
Cheers Jeff

·
Registered
141 Posts
Jungle Jack said:
Duramax. The combination of the Allison Transmission with the Duramax is outstanding.
Nice choice! I have owned two LMM's and thought the world of them. (Thought it would be fun to test the limits of the stock rotating assembly, and sucked an impeller through the motor while at the dragstrip with the other one) Now I have a cummins because new GMC duallies can run $65k+ and shelling out that much $$ on a vehicle doesn't seem logical to me. Sorry to go off on a tangent I will behave from now on

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
It is astounding what can be done by flashing the ECM with any of the 3 Diesels thanks to them being Turbo Charged. Stock, the torque levels are utterly absurd. And indeed any of the Diesels are quite expensive, but they do enjoy far better resale value than the gas models. End of tangent....

·
Premium Member
7,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #348
I have been pleased with them - they are very good speakers. And, even better, I was able to get them as B-stock so they were less than $500 for the pair. They are not as dynamic as my Songtowers IMO, but they do a very good job creating the soundfield in my living room system which has vaulted ceilings.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
I have been pleased with them - they are very good speakers. And, even better, I was able to get them as B-stock so they were less than $500 for the pair. They are not as dynamic as my Songtowers IMO, but they do a very good job creating the soundfield in my living room system which has vaulted ceilings.
I really like them as well. They might not have the low level resolution or "quietness" of the Philharmonics, or the deep, layered soundstage, but what they do have is a sense of cohesiveness and naturalness that you don't expect from looking at them.

·
Registered
490 Posts
i guess im a bit late to make a recommendation.i was going to say tekton design.they sound fantastic i dont own any tekton speakers.i have heard a pair that belongs to a friend.

·
Premium Member
7,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #352
^^^
How did you get them delivered? From the site, it tells me that FedEx doesn't recognize my address. I'm starting to gear up to upgrade from my Athenas and these are on my radar. The center is what is attracting me to these.

cheers
Odd, I had no problems getting mine delivered. I would try giving them a call.

·
Premium Member
7,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #355

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
^^^
How did you get them delivered? From the site, it tells me that FedEx doesn't recognize my address. I'm starting to gear up to upgrade from my Athenas and these are on my radar. The center is what is attracting me to these.

cheers
You have to give EMP a call, and then they will send you a sheet you need to fill out. Just fax it back to them. Their website isn't set up for orders into Canada, but the company does ship to Canada.

·
Premium Member
5,786 Posts
That is good news to me - I had been reading that the electrostat ML's can be a bit tricky to get good sound on...... Thanks!!
I don't know about that... stick them a few feet out from any wall and give them clean power and they will really sing IMO!

·
Registered
6 Posts
That's one of the beautiful things about being an Amazon Prime member: $3.99 1-day shipping and Free 2-day shipping.

BTW, a little off-topic, but aside from paying the $6x.xx for the Prime membership from Amazon (great for folks who regularly purchase items from them) I heard of another way to get Prime membership. Not sure if it still works, but a friend told me that if you order more than $6x.xx worth of baby food/products, Amazon provided Prime membership free. He didn't have any kids, so he bought the stuff (at lower prices than most retail stores) for his friends with kids, LOL!

Biggest savings for me from Prime membership, free shipping for my second pair of Boston Acoustics E100 speakers from Amazon (great sounding speakers BTW! But unfortunately discontinued. Too expensive to make, and at $2500 EACH, they didn't sell well for BA, but I think they might be the best speakers BA has ever made). With the boxes measuring 77"x13"x13" and weighing over 100lbs, shipping for those would have cost a fortune.

If you could ever find a pair of those, you might consider auditioning them too. They pop up on audiogon or Craigslist once in a while at much lower than MSRP. Powered by the Emotiva XPA-1 500 watt monoblock amps I'm using, these puppies really sing. They're a fairy easy load at 89db/w/m sensitivity at 8 ohms, but providing them ample wattage REALLY makes them shine, and boy can they thump with the monoblocks!

I like 'em so much, I have a 7.1 set in the Black Walnut finish (E100's, E70's and E60's) and a 5.1 set in the Cherry finish (E100's and E70's) still new in the box waiting for me to install for 5.1 in the bedroom when I move.

Max
I like the E Series as well. Started with one E100 6 years ago.

341 - 360 of 363 Posts