Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

21 - 40 of 363 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Hey Joe, speaker shopping is alot of fun thats for sure. Some places will let you take them home with a deposit, that could be your best plan of attack.
since I got my EV sentrys Ive been hearing music all over again its so hard to explain but music sounds so rich and I hear things I never heard before :)

·
Premium Member
7,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Hey Joe, speaker shopping is alot of fun thats for sure. Some places will let you take them home with a deposit, that could be your best plan of attack.
since I got my EV sentrys Ive been hearing music all over again its so hard to explain but music sounds so rich and I hear things I never heard before :)
That is what I am hoping - once I trim the list down, I won't feel comfortable buying something until I have a chance to listen to it so a good return policy or the ability to take them home is a must.

I have a feeling getting a chance to listen to a set of EV's could be troublesome. :bigsmile:

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Ive seen the EVs pop up on eBay from time to time and Craigslist or Kijiji is another option.

·
Premium Member
7,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Attached is my current list to research based on input in this thread as well as other threads. Thanks everyone for your input so far - if anyone has any other suggestions that are not listed, fire away! :gulp:

Attachments

·
Registered
395 Posts
I have one song that is an absolute "must" in any speaker audition session, and once you listen to it you'll know why. It has rich midrange, some bass extension, and some high range. In home theater, and music, good clear midrange is critical, and I think this song will demonstrate a speakers ability or lack of it quickly. Get to know Sarah McLachlan's song Angel. Play it soft, play it LOUD. Enjoy and have fun

·
Premium Member
7,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I have one song that is an absolute "must" in any speaker audition session, and once you listen to it you'll know why. It has rich midrange, some bass extension, and some high range. In home theater, and music, good clear midrange is critical, and I think this song will demonstrate a speakers ability or lack of it quickly. Get to know Sarah McLachlan's song Angel. Play it soft, play it LOUD. Enjoy and have fun
I have heard that song many times - I should have thought of it when I was putting my list together. Thanks very much for the suggestion - definitely adding it! I also need to find an instrumental song that has quite a bit of horn section - that is one area my song selection is sadly lacking. Anyone have suggestions for this?

One question for anyone - I plan to load my audition list to my iPod and take that for speaker auditions. Can I count on the fact that most shops will be able to accomodate hooking it to their set-up?

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
I highly recommend Lee Ritenours "6 string theory" absolutely the best music CD I have. Lots of variety and really dynamic recording. It won Jazz guitar album of the year last year.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Honestly, all of them. I love the variety the CD has BB King is featured as well as several other big names. Its got some vocal tracks as well and the recordings is amazing.

Here is a little advertisement of the album

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
One question for anyone - I plan to load my audition list to my iPod and take that for speaker auditions. Can I count on the fact that most shops will be able to accomodate hooking it to their set-up?
Cant really speak to compatibility, probably depends alot on the store, but you will be using apple lossless right? (Just checking)

kadijk said:
Nice suggestion :)

·
Premium Member
7,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Fortunately, I have an account with iTunes so I can preview each track - I was just wondering if there was one track you thought stood out more than the others. I do not have a Jazz genre track in my current list and this is a good suggestion for an add.

·
Registered
303 Posts
FLAC is the way to go. Bring a laptop and send it over Optical. I use FOOBAR2000 to play flac on both my systems.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
I like to use Clint Mansell's Lux Aeterna as a test song for Dynamics. I use Pink Floyd's High Hopes for detail (listen for the bee flying around at the very beginning). Female voice - Amanda Marshall Beautiful Goodbye (the last min of the song). Male voice - Queen (freddy) Who wants to live forever.

If I had a tie breaker I would probably listen to Michael Hedges live version Aerial Boundaries

·
Premium Member
7,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
I like to use Clint Mansell's Lux Aeterna as a test song for Dynamics. I use Pink Floyd's High Hopes for detail (listen for the bee flying around at the very beginning). Female voice - Amanda Marshall Beautiful Goodbye (the last min of the song). Male voice - Queen (freddy) Who wants to live forever.

If I had a tie breaker I would probably listen to Michael Hedges live version Aerial Boundaries
Michael Hedges -- Aerial Boundaries - YouTube
Thanks for the suggestions Andre! The Queen song is actually used in one of my favorite movies - Highlander. Might be a good add for higher range male vocals - Freddy can really get up there.

And, is that a cigarette at the end of his guitar?! :rubeyes:

21 - 40 of 363 Posts