Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

121 - 140 of 363 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Could I get a few examples of more accurate speakers than the CM9's with an msrp under $3000 so I can add them to my list of speakers I would like to audition please

·
Registered
47 Posts
Could I get a few examples of more accurate speakers than the CM9's with an msrp under $3000 so I can add them to my list of speakers I would like to audition please
Personally I really like Focal. Polk is good too but I prefer the vintage (SDA/SRS stuff) over most of their current offerings but I digress... if you had said you were interested in saving money on buying 2nd hand I'd definitely recommend some larger Snell too or used Aerial Acoustics but even used these might be pushing your $3000 price point. Vandersteen would also be on my list if I were shopping. Linn Majik is a good line and I'd say audition some lower end Dali too if you have a dealer nearby...

But as for "accurate" you can buy speakers on published graphs or do what normal people do... go listen to them! :D

Just remember, listening to a speaker in a dealer's demo room is actually listening to the demo room with a speaker in it. Plan on hauling your favorite picks home with you for a few days.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I'm not such a fan of focal I didn't think the 1038BE that my wife bought sounded all that great especially for an over $10000 pair of speakers especially when compared the the 802D's we have now . I have to do some research on the other brands you mentioned but I have auditioned Wharfedale jade 7, ML theos, golden ear triton 2, Theil 2.X (not sure the exact number), Polk LSI-M, Def Tech ST, B&W CM9, paradigm studio 100, focal 836W (I think), triad in-walls again not sure the specific one but I have emailed the installer to find out, and Aperion grand towers... all in my room except the inwalls of course and the B&W sounded best to my ear. Just my own experience but again I will see what I can do to audition the others that you mentioned. Thanks for the recomendatons I always look forward to auditioning new speakers.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
To name a few that shoud be worth under 3K MSRP I'd certainly suggest auditioning:

JBL LSR especially 6332 (not to be confused with other JBL speakers found in big box stores)
Revel F12
Pioneer S4-EX
Genelec 8040A
KEF Q900 (Measurements. doshow that the treble might be a bit rough so you'd have to verify with your ears.. the R series speakers are on another level though)
ACA Trinity
RBH 1044-SE
PSB Imagine T
Procella P8
German Maestro HD-PF 200

Remember, being reasonably accurate doesn't mean in your room they will sound identical or be capable of the same SPLs or have the same resolution or throw the same soundstage. It does however mean grave issues are rather unlikely. Being accurate doesn't guaruntee you'll be immediately impressed by them in a showroom audition either, next to a lesser speaker with deeper bass or more treble or even preferred aesthetics.

Besides brick and mortar stuff, here's the Internet Direct speakers I'd love:

Philharmonic Audio
Salk Supercharged Songtowers (Okay, MSRP is $3300... Songtowers are around $1800 though)
Vapor Audio Aurora
Soundfield Audio Monitor 1
Ascend Acoustics Sierra Tower

DIY Kits

AudioArtistry CBT36 kit (prefab is $8500)
JohnK's Nao Note
Dennis Murphy's ER18MTM
Zaph's ZA5.5TT
Jeff Bagby's Mandolin
Redwoods (crossover by Paul Carmody)
GR Research N3

·
Registered
47 Posts
I'm not such a fan of focal I didn't think the 1038BE that my wife bought sounded all that great especially for an over $10000 pair of speakers especially when compared the the 802D's we have now . I have to do some research on the other brands you mentioned but I have auditioned Wharfedale jade 7, ML theos, golden ear triton 2, Theil 2.X (not sure the exact number), Polk LSI-M, Def Tech ST, B&W CM9, paradigm studio 100, focal 836W (I think), triad in-walls again not sure the specific one but I have emailed the installer to find out, and Aperion grand towers... all in my room except the inwalls of course and the B&W sounded best to my ear. Just my own experience but again I will see what I can do to audition the others that you mentioned. Thanks for the recomendatons I always look forward to auditioning new speakers.
Most of my Focal experience has been older models, the Chorus 826v for example is one of those speakers I wish I had in my living room right now. Wharfedale hasn't impressed me since their factory burned down something like 30 years ago and they basically started over from scratch. I've never been impressed by Def Tech and I've owned quite a bit of it... just long enough to resell or throw away, in the case of stuff that broke. 802's are a good series for sure, I think superior for stereo in most rooms to the CM. Theil 2 series are ok but strangely make me want to hear a similar KEF for some reason. ML is love it or leave it. Like Maggies they just don't do it for me, but that's me. Aperion *should* be very good for the price range. I haven't heard the grand towers but have some of their smaller stuff. Well built, good sound, a lot of speaker for the money... Curiously, where did you hear them? I thought they only sold direct? You might not like Dali, I think they are similar to Focal in the same size brackets anyway, but I've enjoyed what I've heard.

Vandersteen is a love it or leave it too. Again, extremely good value with a fantastic sound, when placed and powered properly. They are one of the most finicky to place speakers I've ever played with and they are specifically designed for bi-amp/bi-wire for a reason. And Snell... one of my favorite speaker companies of all time, at least before they got bought out. Aerial Acoustics 10T might be difficult to squeeze under your $3000 mark, even used, but it's one of the speakers I am always on a look out for a sweet deal on... like drive 1000 miles to save $1000 on kind of sweet deal... they are THAT good, IMHO.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I bought the Aperion grands and then sent them back under their return policy. It only cost me $125 or something like that for return shipping I thought they sounded very good but left something to be desired on lower frequencies esp The lion king with James earl Jones (his voice sounded off) and thunder effects in different movies and songs just didn't seem "real" to me but otherwise a very good speaker and one that looks sharp. $3000 isn't a set in stone budget either I just didn't want to get carried away like my significant other did. I was also looking for something that could be powered (for now) with a stout receiver until I get my separate amp squared away. I will have to look and see if aeriel has a dealer near me as I see people going on and on about the 20T

·
Registered
47 Posts
Thanks for the short insight into the Aperion grand. It sure looks good! Oh, and the Aerials? You probably want to shop for the 10T (or smaller)... the 20T starts around $25,000.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I doubt that would stop my wife as bad as it sounds. I really don't mean to pick on her but the longer I know her the more expensive her tastes seem to get.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Energy RC70s are on for 400 each, and retailed almost 3K for a pair. Worth investigation. You don't need to spend 3K if you dont have to, to get the same quality.

·
Registered
3,697 Posts
I doubt that would stop my wife as bad as it sounds. I really don't mean to pick on her but the longer I know her the more expensive her tastes seem to get.
If her tastes lead you to the Aerial Acoustics 20T, you would be doing well. That is my favorite speaker, it's reputation is well deserved.

Might want to check out the ERA 14, Michael Kelly (Aerial) designed the drivers. The crossover spent a year in development.
http://signalpathint.com/index.php/Design-14-Series/

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
Most of my Focal experience has been older models, the Chorus 826v for example is one of those speakers I wish I had in my living room right now. Wharfedale hasn't impressed me since their factory burned down something like 30 years ago and they basically started over from scratch. I've never been impressed by Def Tech and I've owned quite a bit of it... just long enough to resell or throw away, in the case of stuff that broke. 802's are a good series for sure, I think superior for stereo in most rooms to the CM. Theil 2 series are ok but strangely make me want to hear a similar KEF for some reason. ML is love it or leave it. Like Maggies they just don't do it for me, but that's me. Aperion *should* be very good for the price range. I haven't heard the grand towers but have some of their smaller stuff. Well built, good sound, a lot of speaker for the money... Curiously, where did you hear them? I thought they only sold direct? You might not like Dali, I think they are similar to Focal in the same size brackets anyway, but I've enjoyed what I've heard.

Vandersteen is a love it or leave it too. Again, extremely good value with a fantastic sound, when placed and powered properly. They are one of the most finicky to place speakers I've ever played with and they are specifically designed for bi-amp/bi-wire for a reason. And Snell... one of my favorite speaker companies of all time, at least before they got bought out. Aerial Acoustics 10T might be difficult to squeeze under your $3000 mark, even used, but it's one of the speakers I am always on a look out for a sweet deal on... like drive 1000 miles to save $1000 on kind of sweet deal... they are THAT good, IMHO.
Hello,
Excellent Post. I could not agree more about your views on Snell. The D&M Holdings has not been kind to any of the brands under that umbrella. With perhaps the exception of McIntosh. While it certainly makes sense, I miss AVR's like the AVR-5805 that pushed the limits of what an AVR could do and could be. Moreover, the entire 05 Series still remain my favorite Denon AVR Series from an Amplification standpoint. The AVR-3808CI was really good as well and is still current enough for my purposes.
It certainly could be argued that the Economy has made it to where Flagships like the 5805, Pioneer SC-09 (Susano), the Marantz Reference AVR's, and more no longer are viable. However, Arcam did release the AVR600 and companies like Mark Levinson are still going...
Cheers,
JJ

·
Registered
141 Posts
caper26 said:
Energy RC70s are on for 400 each, and retailed almost 3K for a pair. Worth investigation. You don't need to spend 3K if you dont have to, to get the same quality.
I was told by a close friend that if I heard paradigm I've heard psb and energy. Not sure how true that is but he said all three based their speaker designs off of the same study. Also not sure how true that is. I will have to give them a listen though

·
Registered
303 Posts
The 70s sound like I have a sub in my living room at moderate levels. I EQ mine a little to tame down the mids and brighten the highs. For 3K, you can also check out the Veritas 6.3's in Rosenut or even piano black. If I had the spare cash lying around, that's what I would be after.

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
I was told by a close friend that if I heard paradigm I've heard psb and energy. Not sure how true that is but he said all three based their speaker designs off of the same study. Also not sure how true that is. I will have to give them a listen though
Hello,
While perhaps 10 years ago, the argument could be made about Paradigm and PSB. However, I really do not find this to be nearly so similar now. While a big fan of the Veritas, the rest of the Energy lineup is not nearly as accomplished and I have never held Energy in the same esteem as Paradigm and PSB.

Some of these comments stem from Canada's investment in the Speaker Industry with the NRC investing Millions of Dollars to help foster Canadian Speaker Companies with state of the art research facilities.
Cheers,
JJ

·
Registered
630 Posts
They all have a different sonic signature - At least listen to the PSB and Paradigm.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Hello,
Excellent Post. I could not agree more about your views on Snell. The D&M Holdings has not been kind to any of the brands under that umbrella. With perhaps the exception of McIntosh.
And now with the Boston VS series being discontinued - it looks like only main stream with
Boston for awhile. They did do a good job with the E and VS series. Things sure are changing.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
I don't think so.

For starters, Energy at the moment is really an offshoot of Klipsch. Like JJ said, it might have been true 5-10 years ago but not currently, apparently.

As for PSB, while their first and foremost approach comes from a similar approach to Paradigm (Metal dome tweeters, focus on smooth power response), there are some notable differences. Paradigm favors odd-order (Phase Quadrature) crossovers while PSB favors even order (Phase Summation) crossovers. That alone makes a pretty notable difference in the way a speaker radiates sound into the room and to your ears.

My suspicion, is that PSB speakers sound rather similar to Revel's mid level speakers, not Paradigm, but I would never ever agree with "You've heard A then you've heard B"

·
Registered
3,697 Posts
This has not been my experience. Do give them a listen.

·
Registered
303 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
showcattleguy said:
I have not heard PSB but they will be on my short list next time I am in the market for speakers (which my wallet hopes will not be for a long time). Between Energy and Paradigm I hear no similarity. When I listen to Energy, I do not think they are bad, just that they are not something I want to listen to. They do not suit me, they may suit you. With Paradigm the reaction is very different. Every audition is extended for the simple reason that I do not want to leave the room. I love them right away. I love them months later. If at all possible listen to all 3 brands, along with as many more as possible, and decide for yourself.

121 - 140 of 363 Posts