Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

141 - 160 of 363 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Could I get a few examples of more accurate speakers than the CM9's with an msrp under $3000 so I can add them to my list of speakers I would like to audition please
Salk SongTower RT w/RAAL ribbon tweeter

Philharmonic 2 or 3

Both of those would likely make your wife very made considering how much her B&W's cost. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Energy is currently designed and manufactured by Audiovox using a former Klipsch design team, voiced with reference to older Energy speakers.

Even if it sounds great it's not the original Energy design team.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Nuance-
Those speakers sound that good huh? Well I look forward to trying to get a demonstration. Those are both ID brands correct? I will try to not let her know what I am doing when I audition them. I listened to a pair of Theils yesterday and she got upset I didn't bring her along. Thanks for the suggestions they look like beautiful speakers at the very least.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Nuance-
Those speakers sound that good huh? Well I look forward to trying to get a demonstration. Those are both ID brands correct? I will try to not let her know what I am doing when I audition them. I listened to a pair of Theils yesterday and she got upset I didn't bring her along. Thanks for the suggestions they look like beautiful speakers at the very least.
Both are ID, yes. I included them in the list I made about 8-9posts up.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Nuance-
I think they are, yes. I've heard well over 100 speakers now, and I personally like (mostly) the 802D, but I'd have a hard time giving up the Salk's in favor of them (though I ultimately would, as I have the SongTowers). It took me a long long time to find speakers this good for under $3000. I've also heard the Salk SoundScape line of speakers as well (their top of the line), and I feel they are far superior to the 802D, not to mention much cheaper. Yes, they are both ID, which is why their cost is so low compared to B&W and the like. YMMV, of course, but I bet your wife would be blown away by the sound; I think she'll also be blown away by the speakers I linked above too, though (the "cheaper" ones). Here's the one I just heard this weekend (a brand new design that retails for $8000/pair):

Front

Rear with open-back midrange cabinet

Close up

In short, I would take these over the B&W 802D's, Revel Ultima Salon2's and every other speaker I've heard in the $20,000 price range or less category. They are that good. So while I finally found my "perfect speaker" under $3000 (linked in my signature), I've now also found my perfect speaker for $10,000 as well. I say $10,000 because there are two models from the same line (the SoundScape 10 and 12) that are even better. Now if only I could afford any of them...:D

·
Premium Member
7,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #148
Just a quick update - I have updated the "working" document tracking my speaker audition list. You can view it here:

Audition List

Again, if there are any speaker suggestions you have that I do not have listed, let me know! :bigsmile:

·
Registered
17 Posts
ALMFamily said:
Just a quick update - I have updated the "working" document tracking my speaker audition list.

Again, if there are any speaker suggestions you have that I do not have listed, let me know! :bigsmile:
If your goal is a 5.1or 7.1 system, then look at the Monitor Audio RX6. They have a bit less bass than the RX8, but in a HT they are fully supported by your sub. The bass isn't that bad in any case. You have the 8's listed, but the 6's are worth a listen and would likely be easy to A/B with each other. Good luck but with the list you have it should be successful if not easy choice.

·
Premium Member
7,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #150
If your goal is a 5.1or 7.1 system, then look at the Monitor Audio RX6. They have a bit less bass than the RX8, but in a HT they are fully supported by your sub. The bass isn't that bad in any case. You have the 8's listed, but the 6's are worth a listen and would likely be easy to A/B with each other. Good luck but with the list you have it should be successful if not easy choice.
Welcome to HTS Jim! :wave: Thanks for making your first post in my thread. ;)

I am planning for 7.2 and already have 2 SVS PB-13 Ultras to pull sub duty so a tad lighter bass would probably be fine. I added them to my initial research list - thanks for the suggestion!

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Just a quick update - I have updated the "working" document tracking my speaker audition list. You can view it here:

Audition List

Nice progress. Certainly a bummer the Martin Logans are the only "N" for auditions. I thought this youtube video gives a good idea of the crispness of ribbons.

http://youtu.be/dRf5aPulewM

·
Registered
199 Posts
Nuance-
I just realized you're in Illinois. You are welcome to attend our SE Wisconsin GTG on April 14th. If you attened you'll get to hear various Salk speakers, the Philharmonic 2's, the Ascend Tower's with RAAL and a few other speakers. Here's the link for more info, but let me know if you and the wife would like to make the trip (we've got people coming from much farther than IL).

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1324185&page=15

·
Premium Member
7,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #153
Nice progress. Certainly a bummer the Martin Logans are the only "N" for auditions. I thought this youtube video gives a good idea of the crispness of ribbons.

http://youtu.be/dRf5aPulewM
Ty,

I think the biggest reason I decided not to include them is that I much prefer floorstanders for the HT room. However, when I get around to doing a bedroom system like Wayne did, these will be on my short list as I really like the look of them and I have not read any bad reviews on them as of yet. If I am able to find them locally, I may just see if I can't give the a quick listen for that very purpose. :bigsmile:

Joe

·
Premium Member
7,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #154
By the way - I have not had much luck finding graphs for most of the speakers I have looked at so far. I am by no means an expert at attempting to read a graph, but it sure would help develop that skill if I could actually find them for a given speaker.

Any suggestions on the best place to locate that info?

·
Premium Member
4,363 Posts
ALMFamily said:
Welcome to HTS Jim! :wave: Thanks for making your first post in my thread. ;)

I am planning for 7.2 and already have 2 SVS PB-13 Ultras to pull sub duty so a tad lighter bass would probably be fine. I added them to my initial research list - thanks for the suggestion!
2 pb13 ultras? A tad less bass is an understatement Joe. That's some serious subbage! I think you'd be ok with tweeters for mains. :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Because a lot of dealers won't let you audition you will have to bite the bullet and pay return shipping to see which speaker is the perfect one for you. Sometimes I will bite the bullet on a used speaker and if I don't like I will resell it--another option. Audio is a never ending quest.

·
Premium Member
7,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #158
OK, I did a marathon listening session at my local shop on Friday - spent 2.5 hours there listening to the Studio 100s, Triton IIs, and CM9s. I also - just by pure luck - got to hear a set of Thiel CS2.4s. I will post my impressions tomorrow - long day working in the HT today...... :yawn:

·
Registered
303 Posts
... long day working in the HT today...... :yawn:
Wish I was working on mine... instead bathtub, surround, exhaust fans, spackling...etc..

141 - 160 of 363 Posts