Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
R-DES (Rocket Digital Equalization System) is a PC based 6-band parametric EQ used to correct your subwoofer’s in-room response. This eliminates annoying frequency peaks created by your subwoofer’s interaction with certain characteristics of your room. The result is smooth, even, and natural bass response that brings you closer to how music and movie soundtracks were intended to sound. Best of all…ANY subwoofer will benefit from using the R-DES interface.

The R-DES product consists of a hardware interface allowing you to electronically control the response of your subwoofers through a PC connected via USB (included) and the R-DES software featuring a 6-band parametric equalizer, Onix Graph Paper, and even a CD complete with a full suite of test tones and pink noise files.

These are $399 new, this one offered for $250, plus shipping, new in box.

Acceptable payment - Paypal, cashiers check or money order.

Gene

Attachments

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So, my TV is scheduled for calibration at the end of the month, and that costs$.

So I'm lowering the asking price to $175.00. :spend:

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Bumping not allowed, but I will give you a bump by asking a legitimate question. What does this product do and/or why should someone buy it over the $90-150 BFD's? Why did you initially choose it?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sonnie -

An excellant question, it is another way to tame room/sub resonance issues, like other such decives.

It has some nice features that make it intuitive for a novice to use. I can't speak to its use in relation to "$90-$150 BFDs", but in comparison to the Velodyne unit, this from Audioholics;

"Comparison to the Velodyne SMS-1
Since I've only seen the Velodyne SMS-1 in demo and can't make a direct comparison. The Onix product is quite a bit less expensive, though more labor intensive. The Velodyne SMS-1 gives you an on-screen display and the ability to watch your EQ attempts make changes in the frequency response in real time. The thing to remember is that regardless of which product you go with, once you get it dialed in, you are done - at least until you change something in your room. It isn't like buying a DVD player or a receiver where you can play with and interact with it all the time. It just sits there. The two products are very different and the level of understanding/interaction the Onix requires may encourage some to pay the extra dough for the more expensive Velodyne. But for those of us that don't mind (or even like ) tweaking stuff manually, this is an easy way to save a few hundred bucks."

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Sonnie -

An excellant question, it is another way to tame room/sub resonance issues, like other such decives.

It has some nice features that make it intuitive for a novice to use. I can't speak to its use in relation to "$90-$150 BFDs", but in comparison to the Velodyne unit, this from Audioholics;

"Comparison to the Velodyne SMS-1
Since I've only seen the Velodyne SMS-1 in demo and can't make a direct comparison. The Onix product is quite a bit less expensive, though more labor intensive. The Velodyne SMS-1 gives you an on-screen display and the ability to watch your EQ attempts make changes in the frequency response in real time. The thing to remember is that regardless of which product you go with, once you get it dialed in, you are done - at least until you change something in your room. It isn't like buying a DVD player or a receiver where you can play with and interact with it all the time. It just sits there. The two products are very different and the level of understanding/interaction the Onix requires may encourage some to pay the extra dough for the more expensive Velodyne. But for those of us that don't mind (or even like ) tweaking stuff manually, this is an easy way to save a few hundred bucks."
Let me add that one can set the filters more easily than with the R-DES software by using REW to develop them. IIRC, I have 1 or 2 of these in my closet in case anyone wants to run multiple independantly-EQed subs. :bigsmile: {But they are not available until Gene sells his.}

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Does this constantly need to be connected to a PC, or only for calibration?
Only for calibration and it can store 4 different EQs, selectable from front panel switch.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Kal -

No need to wait for me, though I appreciate the courtesy.

As to Sonnie's question why I bought the unit, I bought a complete Rocket 5.1 system, with a SVS PB12+2 for lfe, and just assumed I would have issues due to the layout of my room, (McMansion with a wide open 1st floor where my gear is, which also leads into a living room which in turn is open to second floor).

Turns out, after running REW, I had one peak that I was able to tame with the SVS' onboard PEQ. So the R-DES is un-needed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.