Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Onix Rocket RS1000 Ninja Elite Upgrade (Removal of old SIG XO)

Greetings!

Finally got around to gutting my old Onix 1000's. Prepping for my new Ninja Elite Upgrades to arrive. My old XO's are finally ready to be sent off for the Ninja to work his magic! Getting a cabinet overhaul as well.

Can't wait!!!!!

Here are some more pictures of the removal for your enjoyment.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dwayland/sets/72157625577919782/

More pictures when the upgrades arrive!

Cheers,

Derek

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
Thanks.
Interested RS1000Sig owner here watching...

I always thought it would be easier to have a high quality XO and cabinet damping put in BEFORE the speaker was built!
:)

Mike

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks.
Interested RS1000Sig owner here watching...

I always thought it would be easier to have a high quality XO and cabinet damping put in BEFORE the speaker was built!

Mike
While I have always been pleased with these, after hearing the new ACA Trinity LCR's, I had the itch to add a touch of high end to these big guys.

·
Registered
3,697 Posts
Those stock XO's don't look too bad.

While I have always been pleased with these, after hearing the new ACA Trinity LCR's, I had the itch to add a touch of high end to these big guys.
I am looking around at speakers too, getting bored with my 602S3's. Have fun with the upgrade, Dwayland!

·
Registered
16 Posts
I was also thinking that the the crossovers didn't look too bad. You would hope so on a product at this price point.

On the other hand, those pointed nipple tweeters look fabulous. "thumbsup:

·
Registered
228 Posts
I am looking around at speakers too, getting bored with my 602S3's.
Maybe we can get some ACA Trinity's out your way for a gtg/demo sometime soon...

I'm curious to see how much of a difference the Ninja upgrades make for you Derek. Thanks for documenting the upgrade.

·
Registered
133 Posts
You didn't opt for the Blackhole dampening material in the sub chamber? I put it in mine along with the no-rez in the upper chamber.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You didn't opt for the Blackhole dampening material in the sub chamber? I put it in mine along with the no-rez in the upper chamber.
I will be replacing the material in the powered driver chamber as well, I just didn't need to fully remove it yet. Waiting on the goods to arrive.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Thanks.
I didn't read your full thread, but how noticeable was the upgrade(s)?

Mike
Well Mike, I bought the upgrade under the assumption BD music disks were going to be the media type that supplanted redbook cd, where SACD, DVD-A and others had failed. As that never happened, I began building a dedicated 2 channel system after the upgrade, so I really never used them as I thought I would.

With that said, I found upgrading my center had a more noticeable impact than the L and R mains did for HDTV and Movie watching.

·
Registered
3,697 Posts
Maybe we can get some ACA Trinity's out your way for a gtg/demo sometime soon...
I've heard rumblings of a GTG here someday. Keep me posted, I might actually have some CHT subs by then I could bring.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ninja XO & NoRez in the house! :whoopie:

Just in time for a little weekend project... Pics to follow...

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
1. Drivers and amp re-removed (L/R)
2. Old dampening material removed (L/R)
3. Internal glue remains scraped away (L/R)
4. Cabinet cleaned (L/R)
5. Black Hole installed in driver cabinet & old poly re-stuffed (L/R)
6. Amp re-installed (L/R)
7. Ninja Elite (w/Platinum Sonicap Capacitors)XO installed (L/R)

So far the only issue I had was that one of the Sonicaps was making it impossible to fit the XO into the driver opening, so out came the Dremel. (The CAP in the 1st picture on the top left gave me some trouble.)

Next:
1. No-Rez install
2. Driver re-install/re-solder (I just hope I can make sense of my labeling.) :saywhat:

Here is a link to some more pictures, not many, but a few. Below are some of the more interesting pictures. Sorry I didn't get more, but I was sharing the camera between, 3 other kids this afternoon... http://www.flickr.com/photos/dwayland/sets/72157625877583062/show/

Out with the bad memories.....

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It's 2am and I am having a little listening session... Just me and the dog... The kids have a make up school day today, so I can't crank it up too loud just yet. So far, I am very happy!!!!!

More pics.... NoRez inner cabinet pictures

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Just ran Audyssey and it states that my front L/R's are out of phase. Checked all of my external wires and everything it good. I am "pretty" sure I soldered everything correctly when I re-installed all of the drivers, but perhaps I missed one. Or, could it be that the new XO simply just "sounds" out of phase to Audyssey?

To my own ears, they don't "sound" out of phase....

Hhhmmmm.....

Guess I will have to check all of the internal drivers again... Time to start unscrewing, again.....

·
Registered
28 Posts
Or, could it be that the new XO simply just "sounds" out of phase to Audyssey?
I think that's your answer. This isn't the first time I've heard reports of that Audyssey warning with RS850/1000's. Here's an example by one of our own. I want to say that the 4" driver is wired backwards deliberately, but... :geezer:

You could always ask Danny on Audio Circle. He designed the crossover.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts