Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know the major or minor differences between these two? Would it be the video processor, pre outs, amp and power supply, etc?

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
Hello,
The 609 adds Networked Connectivity, Marvell Qdeo Processing, and the new Industrial Design. As the 608 used a Faroudja Video Processor, this is a fairly decent upgrade. It will be most noticeable on DVD's, SDTV, and other non HD Source Material.

The Networked part is quite handy as you can Stream Music Files Wirelessly, do Firmware Updates over Ethernet, Sirius Internet Radio, vTuner, and much more. If the prices are somewhat close, I would definitely go with the 609.
Cheers,
JJ

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
If I am not mistaken neither units have pre outs so if you want that option you will need to step up to a 709.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
The 809 is an even better choice.

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
I am now thinking of an 809?
Hello,
Then check out Newegg this Weekend as they have been selling the 809 for $699. They are an Authorized Dealer. Also, I have been told by Members here that Vanns sells the 809 for just 10 Dollars more everyday.
Cheers,
JJ

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
I just set up my 809 today and am very pleased. I strongly recommend using the quick setup guide first. It burns up some of your enthusiasm and covers all the basics including calibration. Then when the excitement wears off a bit, you can go more methodically through the owner's manual to do your own tweaks.
It is a nice piece of gear!

It might be a little overkill if you were thinking along the line of a 609, but after hearing it, you might not care that much about adding an amp, but you still could.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I ordered an 809. Best price I could find up here is $950 from the site sponsor Higher Definition. Thanks guys!

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
Be sure to give us your impressions!

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
Congratulations. The 809 is my favorite 800 Series since the 805. And I honestly believe the TX-SR805 to be the greatest value in the HDMI AVR era.
Cheers,
JJ

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
This is all a real education for me. I am crawling out of the world of analog audio including receivers. It is amazing how many cables I was able to strip from my system going with a true HDMI receiver.

Also, learning and putting some faith in the digital processing is another challenge. I have an Outlaw LFM-1 EX subwoofer that I always ran on extension down to 20 hz. That involves flipping a switch on the Hsu based sub and plugging one of the dual ports.

Since setting up with the Audyssey I discovered using the extended bass option is too overpowering for my listening area.
With it set for normal cutoff (25 Hz) my sub still reigns enough terror to put some vibes in my seat And we are talking a slab floor. But it sounds much better, and offers a smooth response for music..

There is a lot to learn, and again I suggest anyone entering this arena follow the quick setup guide and make sure everything is working before venturing deeper into the owner's manual. I am sure the same case could be made for competitive brands.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you for the advice. I used the quick set up guide to install the new Onkyo 809.

I am really enjoying it. Everything seems great. Lots of power, lots of sound choices. It looks like this thing was built for the long haul and will stand up very well. I am protecting it with a Tripp Lite home theater power bar with $500,000 insurance.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts