Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I've received some good advice here over the past year and could use a little more (wish I had something in return to offer). I have been researching equipment for a dedicated HT in my basement and wanted a great receiver for $1k or less. I was about to pull the trigger on the 876 but at the last moment read some reviews where people seemed to be moderately disappointed with the video output. There appears to be no question about the audio capability. I know the 876 has the HQV-video processing chips built in and it "sounded" good to me but has anyone else heard this?

Also, I would greatly appreciate a reccomendation on a HT receiver in this price range. I have more of an emphasis on picture quality. Thanks in advance!

Max

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
The Reon chip is regarded to be the best at upconversion and offers the user alot of adjustment options in the user menu.
The 876 or even the 875 is a very capable receiver and will not disappoint you. The reviews can be a bit misleading and take them for what they are worth. The so called heat issues are also false as any receiver in that class gets warm when used hard and needs adequate space for it to breath.

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
I have more of an emphasis on picture quality. Thanks in advance!
I remember reading that to get the best picture the source has to be connected directly to projector (TV or front projector) to avoid multiple processings ...

I'm not an expert, but why you worry about the video processing on the AVR if you know that your TV/projector will process the signal again to get the best according to their capabilities??? ... I own a Yamaha RXV-2700 and I don't know which chip is using to process the video because I set it up to passthrough the signal untouched, and I let my TV do the processing ....:yes:

I think that the AVR has to be able to play the best sound, and the TV/projector to display the best video :bigsmile:

·
Banned
3,807 Posts
Maybe you could link to a specific review where someone was criticizing the video quality. While everything I've read about the HQV Reon states that its processing is beyond reproach, if it does not allow high res sources (720/1080) pass through completely unadulterated, I could see someone quibbling with the implementation.

Anywho, link us a specific example, and we'll try to get to the bottom of it.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Maybe you could link to a specific review where someone was criticizing the video quality. While everything I've read about the HQV Reon states that its processing is beyond reproach, if it does not allow high res sources (720/1080) pass through completely unadulterated, I could see someone quibbling with the implementation.

Anywho, link us a specific example, and we'll try to get to the bottom of it.

Eugovector,
Thanks much. I appreciate it. They weren't formal reviews but user reviews. Here are 2 From Cnet:

REON PROCESSING"

by HDUH on September 18, 2008

Pros: audio processing is solid .Set up and added features is a bump up from last year

Cons: The Reon processor is from last years ONKYO 875 was a complete flop.The REON Processor may be great in other devices,but ONKYO did a poor job of implementing it.The processor created more problems than it solved..Customer services is spotty .

Summary: Buy this product for your ears.Do not buy this product for your eyes.If your looking for video processing,buy a real video processor that will give you real processing that makes a difference for the better that you can see.

Thank you for submitting your feedback!

Was this review helpful? YES | NO

"not what I thought"

by marcis123 on October 2, 2008

Pros: had th power to push my speakers with ease

Cons: This reciver is tough to set up. It made my hd picture look soft

Summary: I put the monitor out to hdmi pass through, did the audyssey set up, and put a cd im my blu-ray player. First i'll start by saying that I choice the bi amp feture to move my polks rti12 towers. DO NOT DO THIS, the amp went in to overload protection, so I shut it down and let it reset. After I fired it bck up the speakers sounded werd I though i blew them. So I grab my old to see if I did, and no I did not. I decited to hook it up with just the - + to each channel. It worked after that. It takes some with a dr or bachlor degriee to set this up.You have tweeks for everything, there are more colour opps in this amp then my tv. Also it set my normal center spk to 60hz cross point. and had it spitting out bass. It does not sound good when watching tv. sent off an email to Onkyo and no reply yet. I had a dennon 1803 before this and i was looking forword to getting this loveley sound stage, guess what, nothing indacates that I am even getting a sound stage. I will say this, THERE is a LOT of power comming out of this reciver it moved all 6 drivers in each tower with ease. Oh ya the sound vol moves very slow, so so in fact that you thinksomethin bad is about to happen. But this reciver only for the power unless you work for the, isf. or somthing like that

Updated on Oct 9, 2008
after days of set up. I change my review, I still have not put dts hd through but I think thats my blu-rays fault. This reciver sounds amazing for the first time in my life I truely here a sound stage.. When I close my eyes the left and right towers disaper and the sound comes from the center of the room, thats enought to give goose bumps with the right song. Video still seams week through the imputs, but you can tweek this, I just dont want to mess things up. I now gine it 41/2 stars

Thanks again for your help TD

·
Banned
3,807 Posts
No offense meant, but that 2nd reviewer sounded a little overwhelmed in general. I wouldn't trust his review as an honest assessment of the receiver's quality of feature set.

The best bet is to find someone on here who has a 875 or 876. ANYONE?

·
Registered
100 Posts
No offense meant, but that 2nd reviewer sounded a little overwhelmed in general. I wouldn't trust his review as an honest assessment of the receiver's quality of feature set.

The best bet is to find someone on here who has a 875 or 876. ANYONE?
how does the onkyo 876/906 compare to the NAD T785

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hey Max/16-0,

Reading your original post here was like you were reading my mind. I had done a bunch of research and had narrowed my chioce to the Onkyo receivers, and was trying to decide between the 805, the 876, or the 906.

I was in the same boat as you. You make a choice and then along comes a review to blow it out of the water. I decided to forge forward and went with the 876 ($989 at B&H). It was just delivered today. Planning on installing a couple exhaust fans in my cabinet and hooking up the beast this weekend. If you are still considering this unit, I will let you know what I think early to mid next week.

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Thanks for the update Jon... :T

Victor... price wise that NAD and the Onkyo's are a good bit apart. Bang for the buck, the Onkyo is probably the best bet, although I was super impressed with Audyssey in the T785. I had it paired with a pair of ML's and that was the sweetest setup I have ever heard. I don't think the T785 is up to par with the video processing yet, so that may weigh in your decision.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Thanks for the update Jon... :T

Victor... price wise that NAD and the Onkyo's are a good bit apart. Bang for the buck, the Onkyo is probably the best bet, although I was super impressed with Audyssey in the T785. I had it paired with a pair of ML's and that was the sweetest setup I have ever heard. I don't think the T785 is up to par with the video processing yet, so that may weigh in your decision.
I just like the fact that you can upgrade the hardware on the NAD. mabey in the near future a reon prosser can be added.

·
Registered
15 Posts
OK Max/16-0,

If you are still out there and considering the Onkyo TX-SR876, here are my initial impressions and my input regarding your review concerns.

First, I already owned an Onkyo HT-SR800 7.1ch Home Theater System that I have in my secondary game/pool room home theater. It has the HT-R550 receiver. So, what I am saying is I pretty much knew what to expect as far as sound quality (I have been very happy with this less expensive unit). Also understand that I am far from an HT geek, so this is just the feedback of an "Average Joe" user that did quite a bit of research before deciding on this unit.

Audio: The sound quality was similar to my other Onkyo receiver, but driven with much more power. This unit replaced a Harmon Kardon AVR-80 (80 watts per channel). Again, much more power. I fail to see how someone could be disappointed with the sound quality of this unit.

Video: The quoted reviews had negative feedback on the REON processor and that it made the picture look soft. Prior to connecting this receiver I had my Panasonic Blu-ray player connected directly to my Panasonic plasma TV via HDMI cable, so I am using that as my reference after connecting the Blu-ray player in to the receiver and the receiver to the TV (both HDMI). Now, maybe it was the power of suggestion, but it appeared to me that the picture was ever so slightly softer when playing a Blu-ray disk. I am talking miniscule to the untrained eye. Conversely, I believe the upconvert of my regular DVD disks was a significant improvement. So, a net gain to me!

Bottom-line: Would I have been just as happy with the less expensive TX-SR805? Probably. Am I sorry I got the TX-SR876? No way. I am personally the kind of guy that likes to know he probably bought a bit better unit than he actually needed (just ask my wife), then to buy a lesser unit and not really ever know what I was missing out on. It really is a price break issue. Both units would do a great job.

Due to work demands, I have not been able to spend as much time fine tuning and learning the features I have not yet learned about. If I come across any real revelations I will post later. Oh yeah, the Audyssey MultEQ XT automatic calibration, just as it was with my other Onkyo system, was amazingly accurate in calculating speaker distances. The one exception was the distance of my powered subwoofer that it under calculated by a large amount. I am assuming this was due to the settings on the subwoofer, which I am still trying to understand???? Not a problem though as I just went in to the manual settings and corrected this one calibration.

Now I just hope the studs hold the nails!

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
That is a great deal Sonnie, I would snatch it.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
They are $1900 CAD up here.

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
I did it! It's ordered. I wanted Emotiva, but it will be on into the Spring before their processor is ready. I will get this for now and may get the Emotiva gear later.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
I did it! It's ordered.
I'd love to hear your thoughts on it once you've had it for a bit. I would have bought one instead of the 805 but the price was more than twice what I payed for the 805 at the time.:spend:

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
If anyone sees it priced for less anywhere else... it is not scheduled to ship until February 17. Not that I need it before then.

Our 805 has been excellent thus far and it would probably be okay in the HT room had I wanted to get something smaller for the great room, but I wanted Audyssey MultQ XT in the HT room because of its higher resolution. It works wonders from 100Hz down to 10Hz... better than what I can do with the BFD.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Sonnie,

I did not buy it through the Shack Electronics Store because it is actually linked/purchased through Amazon.com, and being located in the same state as them they charge me tax and S&H.

I bought mine for the same price at the following with no tax or S&H. Might want to check it out.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/

Good luck!

1 - 20 of 50 Posts