Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have had some great feedback from dedicated shackers over the past week on a couple of issues (Biamping and HT Bypass). Now I am posing a scenario that is the logical extension of these:

Current situation: New Polk RTi A9 speakers with Yamaha RV1000 receiver (2000 model does 5.1 dolby digital surround).

Looking at upgrading receiver of buying new amp or both?

Option 1: Keep Yamaha receiver and buy XPA-5 to improve all round performance
Pro: Should get immediate improvement in 2 channel and HT performance for a relatively cheap price.
Cons: Miss out on the advantages of a modern receiver such as the ONKYO 906 and all the new HT formats that it offers.

Option 2: Trash the Yamaha and buy the ONKYO 906.
Pro's: take advantage of the new HT formats with a very good receiver.
Con's: Not getting the advantage of having a dedicated amp plus it is the more expensive option.

Option 3: Buy both.
Pro's: no compromises.
Con's: expensive and maybe overkill.

Please give me your views on my options.

Thanks.

Mark

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Hi Mark, The 906 is a work horse and would not need an external amp for your speakers. The receiver boasts a large toroidal transformer and one of the best video processors available. Having HDMI and the latest audio formats TruHD and DTS MA is a big plus if you have a BluRay player.
Go with the Onkyo 906 and forget the rest.

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
Hello,
My vote would be to pick up the TX-NR906. Between adding HDMI, True-HD, DTS-MA, Audyssey Mult EQ XT, a much more powerful amplifier section, and much more, it really would be a major upgrade.

The 906 is THX Ultra 2 Certified and weighs well over 50 Pounds (24.2 kilograms) and the difference between it and the Emotiva might not be a big as you think. It is at least worth trying the 906 as your amplifier before adding the Emotiva. The upper range Onkyo's are capable of well over 100 WPC all channels driven. The 900 Series especially as it adds a toroidal power transformer with secondary el core transformers.

If you really think you want the Emotiva, I would get a cheaper Onkyo with a less powerful amplifier section as you would be discarding the upgraded amplifier in the 906 and the cheaper 876 and 3007 both incorporate the 906's Reon Video chip and Audyssey MultEQ XT. Note there is a difference between MultEQ and MultEQ XT with XT offering more powerful processing.
Cheers,
JJ

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
New Option,

Buy the Onkyo 906, give it a good run over the next few months, maybe bi-amp the fronts for more power and see if it suits. If I still want an amp down the track buy the Emotiva Xpa-2 for the fronts and let the receiver run everything else. This should ensure excellent two channel performance.

One thing, if I bi-amp the front and lose two cahnnels so I would be running in 5.1, is that a problem for the new HD HT formats?

Thanks.

Mark

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
Hello,
Mark, it would not be an issue. Most people use a 5.1 setup even with the new codecs.
Your new option is also what I recommended in the 2nd paragraph of my post and I honestly think the 906 will be able to drive your Polks to your satisfaction.

I only recommended going for a lower model if you were absolutely bent on getting the XPA-5. I really think you will love the TX-NR906. I would also try to get a bigger discount as it has now been eclipsed by the TX-NR5007.
Cheers,
JJ

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Jack,

Thanks for this.

I'm sure the Onkyo will provide the goods on power, I probably seem like a doubter but that is for two reasons:

1) My current yamaha lacks grunt so I am projecting that experience onto all receivers. From what you say the Onkyo is in a completely different class! A class that I suspect I have never experienced.

2) Because I am a little paranoid regarding sufficient power, I am probably influenced a bit more by the forum shackers particuarly on DTV forum who have bought the dedicated Emotiva amp and can't believe the difference it makes comparted to their receiver.

Mark

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Jack,

Another one.

On the new codecs, how often do they introduce new one. Assume I buy the Onkyo 906 can I assume I will get any number of years out of it without having to worry about the formats being superseeded?

I guess there is no absolute future proofing!

Mark

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
Hello,
Mark, the TX-NR906 is truly in the uppermost strata of AV Receivers. Very few AVR's incorporate a toroidal transformer. Let alone secondary transformers as well. I really think you will be shocked.

Due to my using an all Martin Logan ESL Series 5.1 system, I am using an outboard amplifier. But if I was using an efficient speaker, I would have zero qualms using my TX-SR876 to drive a set of speakers.
Cheers,
JJ

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
Hello,
True-HD and DTS-MA are the first new discrete surround formats since Dolby Digital and DTS so I think you will be safe (I am not including Dolby Digital Plus). DD and DTS have been the de facto for well over a decade. I am sure there might be a new codec which helps to get more of a surround experience from two channel sources, but nothing major.
Cheers,
JJ

·
Banned
601 Posts
Hi Mark, The 906 is a work horse and would not need an external amp for your speakers. The receiver boasts a large toroidal transformer and one of the best video processors available. Having HDMI and the latest audio formats TruHD and DTS MA is a big plus if you have a BluRay player.
Go with the Onkyo 906 and forget the rest.
+1. :T

New Option,

Buy the Onkyo 906, give it a good run over the next few months, maybe bi-amp the fronts for more power and see if it suits. If I still want an amp down the track buy the Emotiva Xpa-2 for the fronts and let the receiver run everything else. This should ensure excellent two channel performance.

One thing, if I bi-amp the front and lose two cahnnels so I would be running in 5.1, is that a problem for the new HD HT formats?

Thanks.

Mark
Mmm... deja vu... :)

Yes, it's a great idea (Emotiva XPA-2 down the road), in particular with your speakers and your room's dimensions. :flex:

And NO, don't bi-amp, you'll gain NOTHING. And besides, bi-amping is not really recommended in your situation. :nono:
Your speakers don't have active crossovers. Plus, the impedance load would probably drop around 2 ohms at certain frequencies. ...Did I already mentioned that in another thread?

·
Banned
4,015 Posts
Agree with the other comments, the 906 will drive most speakers with ease unless they are extremely difficult loads, my old 905 powered my 4ohm M&K system with relative ease and to reference levels without any indication of strain...

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
I highly doubt that any new audio formats will be released any time soon with the Uncompressed formats that we have now the only thing that is changing is more and more 7.1 tracks are now available I also agree that bi-amping your speakers will give you no gain in performance and this way you can have a 7.1 speaker setup. If your room is farly large and you have two rows of seating I highly recommend 7.1.

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
Hello,
Mike, you really cannot go wrong with either model. An amazing percentage of the Staff here has one of those two models. This includes the Founder of the Site and many others. Myself included.

The combination of excellent video processing and strong power reserves at a class leading price makes these models just about impossible to beat. The 906 adds a toroidal power transformer and internet radio and competes well with 4-5 Thousand Dollar Models.
Cheers,
JJ

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks JJ. How's the bass management? I'm looking for an internal xover IN THE RECEIVER though a FeedbackDestroyer Pro (for parametric EQ) from Parts express though a regular HT 2 channel amp to subs. Might that make it difficult to set up? Hmmm. I might wait on the FD Pro. I've got a FD Pro in the upstairs system but that was necessary due to the Dayton HF 15's needing some extension on the bottom end.

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
Hello,
The 876/906 has individual crossovers for each set of channels. That is the fronts can be set between Full Range and a 200 Hz Crossover. Same with the Center, Surround,and Surround Back. Also, if you set the Fronts to Full Range, you can apply Double Bass.

Many receivers apply a universal crossover where it is the same for every channel.
Cheers,
JJ

1 - 20 of 53 Posts