Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just ordered the 709 from A4L. Very excited to get a more recent AVR. New HDMI cables ordered from Parts Express too.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
the 709 is a top quality receiver! you will not regret that choice :T

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
Hello,
Congrats. However, if it has not shipped yet, Amazon has a simply dumbfounding deal on the TX-NR809.
At first, Amazon was selling for $426 right before Christmas. Now, they are selling it for $469.http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-TX-NR809-Certified-7-2-Channel-Receiver/dp/B00505F01E

That means for $20 more you could get an A-Stock 809 with the additional year of warranty, HQV Vida Video Processing and slightly more power. AC4L is selling the B-Stock 809 for $599 or $130 more than Amazon. This might be the first time I have ever seen Amazon blowing out an AVR like this. Unfortunately, this does not apply to the 3009 or any other x09 Series that I have looked at.
Cheers,
JJ

·
Registered
887 Posts
Yeah, I just bought this from Amazon for $469. Killer deal. Anyway, if you cannot cancel your order, do not for an instance have buyer's remorse because you are getting a really nice receiver for a great price. Crazy deals do not come often but what really matters is that you are getting what you paid for. I think you will find that you have.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hello,
Congrats. However, if it has not shipped yet, Amazon has a simply dumbfounding deal on the TX-NR809.
At first, Amazon was selling for $426 right before Christmas. Now, they are selling it for $469.http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-TX-NR809-Certified-7-2-Channel-Receiver/dp/B00505F01E

That means for $20 more you could get an A-Stock 809 with the additional year of warranty, HQV Vida Video Processing and slightly more power. AC4L is selling the B-Stock 809 for $599 or $130 more than Amazon. This might be the first time I have ever seen Amazon blowing out an AVR like this. Unfortunately, this does not apply to the 3009 or any other x09 Series that I have looked at.
Cheers,
JJ
I considered the 809. My TV stand does not have the clearance for the 809 to fit. I considered moving my center channel speaker down a shelf and putting the 809 where the center channel is.

Another forum reccomended sticking with the 709 since there could be ventilation issues if I squeezed it into the TV stand. So I stuck with the 709. No regrets buying the 709. It is a big step up for me. My wife gave up some of her christmas bonus money to buy it so I am appreciative of that.

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
I considered the 809. My TV stand does not have the clearance for the 809 to fit. I considered moving my center channel speaker down a shelf and putting the 809 where the center channel is.

Another forum reccomended sticking with the 709 since there could be ventilation issues if I squeezed it into the TV stand. So I stuck with the 709. No regrets buying the 709. It is a big step up for me. My wife gave up some of her christmas bonus money to buy it so I am appreciative of that.
I completely understand. It was just with a $30 difference, I would have been remiss not to at least point this out. As it sounds like you are not going to have a large amount of clearance with the 709, I highly recommend using a Fan for your applicatio

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Found out today that a4l is out of 709's until Friday. So it wil be late next week before I get mine. At least I will have my HDMI cables by then.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I should have listened to junglejack and gotten the 809 at the amazon sale price. I could have used a piece of furniture we have as a stand to keep it well ventilated and had it by now. Have to wait until friday for a4l to get more 709's in stock. But I will still have a much better AVR than before. I may have my old pioneer AVR sold already.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The next upgrade will be a better subwoofer or surround speakers. If I can talk the wife into it.

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
I should have listened to junglejack and gotten the 809 at the amazon sale price. I could have used a piece of furniture we have as a stand to keep it well ventilated and had it by now. Have to wait until friday for a4l to get more 709's in stock. But I will still have a much better AVR than before. I may have my old pioneer AVR sold already.
Hello,
The 709 is utterly brilliant and you are going to love it. I cannot believe the 809 is all the way back to $659 at Amazon. Regardless, better to have proper ventilation and the biggest difference between them to me is the HQV Vida Processor, but the Marvell Qdeo is excellent on its own.
Cheers,
JJ

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It is finally here. I will have to wait until tomorrow to set it up though.

·
Premium Member
1,255 Posts
I have one on order too. I'll be looking forward to your review when you read the whole manual, make a "for dummies" version, and explain it to me!

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
It is finally here. I will have to wait until tomorrow to set it up though.
Hello,
That is awesome it has arrived. I love waking up with a new piece of AV Gear to setup. Especially a new AVR.
Cheers,
JJ

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have one on order too. I'll be looking forward to your review when you read the whole manual, make a "for dummies" version, and explain it to me!
You might be waiting awhile. This manual is difficult to figure out. It is going to be trial and error for me.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Manual? who reads the manual LOL just kidding.
Thats the fun with the new receivers is its almost a computer with all the processing and other options. Once you get it figured out you wont be disappointed. If we can help just ask.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I will probably be asking a lot of question later. I will run the auto calibration Friday when no one else is home. And play with it for a while by watching some movie scenes, especially bass heavy ones.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts