Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a 6 year old NR-818. Sound has started the there one start and not there the next time. I don't know if Onkyo still does the warranty repair thing on them. Sent their customer service a query on that tonight. They also direct one to a webpage that is a trade-in page based on the NR-818 serial number. They will sell the TX-RZ920 for $899 if I send them the serial tag from the NR-818. Amazon sells it for $1300 but NewEgg has them for $999 so $100 trade in seems lame to me. Not really sure what direction to go here. Should I try to find someone to replace the board that seems to cause all these issues, trade the unit, or find something else? The NR-818 worked for everything we use it for - was really happy with it but $900 every six years for a receiver seems like a rip-off to me. No receiver is worth $150 a year to me to use. If I trade it in not only do I give them $900 for the unit but it is like paying them almost 20% interest to use my money. Other components are sony blue ray, CD player, Sony 65" 4K, etc. We listen to Pandora and have a few old VHS that use digital composite connections (not component), Klipsch RF-82, RC-62, RS-62 12 sub etc

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I spoke with Onkyo this morning. The unit was a late purchase new, 11/18/2013, and only has six years and 11,877 hours on it. They will do a one time courtesy fix for the sound issue. Anything else wrong with it I would have to pay for. This solves the issue. We love the unit and this is the first issue we have had with it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts