Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a 6 year old NR-818. Sound has started the there one start and not there the next time. I don't know if Onkyo still does the warranty repair thing on them. Sent their customer service a query on that tonight. They also direct one to a webpage that is a trade-in page based on the NR-818 serial number. They will sell the TX-RZ920 for $899 if I send them the serial tag from the NR-818. Amazon sells it for $1300 but NewEgg has them for $999 so $100 trade in seems lame to me. Not really sure what direction to go here. Should I try to find someone to replace the board that seems to cause all these issues, trade the unit, or find something else? The NR-818 worked for everything we use it for - was really happy with it but $900 every six years for a receiver seems like a rip-off to me. No receiver is worth $150 a year to me to use. If I trade it in not only do I give them $900 for the unit but it is like paying them almost 20% interest to use my money. Other components are sony blue ray, CD player, Sony 65" 4K, etc. We listen to Pandora and have a few old VHS that use digital composite connections (not component), Klipsch RF-82, RC-62, RS-62 12 sub etc

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I spoke with Onkyo this morning. The unit was a late purchase new, 11/18/2013, and only has six years and 11,877 hours on it. They will do a one time courtesy fix for the sound issue. Anything else wrong with it I would have to pay for. This solves the issue. We love the unit and this is the first issue we have had with it.

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Unit came back with new HDMI board. Starts up fine now. The front door was tweaked and binding but I found a screw loose under it, and tightening it seemed to solve that. The sound is incredible compared to what it was before even when it was new. We can hear every instrument cleanly now and all the vocals. Sound doesn't have the muffled tone to it that we have dealt with since this unit was new. What a difference. The part number they installed was 1B275595-1B_NR818MDC1BAHDM-1195-1B NEW

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
Did you run audyssey again? I would attribute that to different sound more than a board.
I had to replace the board in my 808 back in 2013. Worked like a champ until I sold it a couple years ago.
I think that was HUGE of Onkyo to do. Unfortunately they are still associated by many with only having bad boards. FWIW, they weren’t the only ones. IMO, at the time there were many more Onkyo AVR’s in the wild so it seemed exaggerated.
Glad it’s working for you.

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Did you run audyssey again? I would attribute that to different sound more than a board.
I had to replace the board in my 808 back in 2013. Worked like a champ until I sold it a couple years ago.
I think that was HUGE of Onkyo to do. Unfortunately they are still associated by many with only having bad boards. FWIW, they weren’t the only ones. IMO, at the time there were many more Onkyo AVR’s in the wild so it seemed exaggerated.
Glad it’s working for you.
did not run Audyssey again. The settings in the "settings" were the same, nothing changed there. The quality of sound is so different that it is hard to explain. I have played with settings since this receiver was new trying to get the sound where it wasn't muddy. Now it is crystal clear. I can feel a cello while hearing harmonics off a 12 string at the same time, as a banjo is playing. Before I could listen to any given song in a cheap headset on my computer and it sounded better than the NR818 into a full Klipsch setup. Now I hear the sound better than the headset. Maybe the chip was always defective, or they made improvements to it and the HDMI board. I don't know but it makes the music enjoyable. Another way of explaining it is this - before the sound wasn't much different than it was listening to it in the built in speakers in the Sony 65". Now it is full spectrum.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts