Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
Is the NR1010 worth the $500+ premium IF you are not going beyond 7.1
Hello,
Unless you are using or planning on using dual subwoofers, there really is little to justify the added expenditure. The 1010 offers SubEQ HT which is great for integrating dual subwoofers.

That being said, if you can find a TX-NR3009 for anywhere close to the 818, I would seriously consider that as it offers things like multichannel analog inputs, SubEQ HT and more.
Cheers,
J

·
Registered
876 Posts
Other than Dual Subs, these features are found in the 1010 but not the 818:

VLSC (vector linear, proprietary Onkyo signal circuit- said to make digital sound natural)
Push-Pull Amplifier
Front panel Toslink
HDMI Support for- 3D video, Audio Return Channel, DeepColor, x.v.Color, LipSync, CEC
Upscaling on the 1010 uses HQV Vida vs Marvell Qdeo on the 818
Zone 2 HDMI output (good for viewing MP3 playlists on a small monitor with out turning on your big TV)
The 1010 features Pure Audio and Direct Mode where as the 818 only has direct. Pure Audio mode is great on the Multi-chanel analog input. I find it reveals a more detailed track.
Bluetooth Ready via USB
Digital Crossover Processing Network
5 watts more power in the 1010.

Highlighted in black are the reasons I would go 1010 over the 818. The extra 5 watts are nice but not necessary. I presume teh HQV Vida is better than the Qdeo for upscaling.

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
Other than Dual Subs, these features are found in the 1010 but not the 818:

VLSC (vector linear, proprietary Onkyo signal circuit- said to make digital sound natural)
Push-Pull Amplifier
Front panel Toslink
HDMI Support for- 3D video, Audio Return Channel, DeepColor, x.v.Color, LipSync, CEC
Upscaling on the 1010 uses HQV Vida vs Marvell Qdeo on the 818
Zone 2 HDMI output (good for viewing MP3 playlists on a small monitor with out turning on your big TV)
The 1010 features Pure Audio and Direct Mode where as the 818 only has direct. Pure Audio mode is great on the Multi-chanel analog input. I find it reveals a more detailed track.
Bluetooth Ready via USB
5 watts more power in the 1010.

Highlighted in black are the reasons I would go 1010 over the 818. The extra 5 watts are nice but not necessary.
Hello,
The 818 actually does offer the HQV Vida/Marvell Qdeo tandem as well. It also supports 3D, ARC, and others like x.v Color even though I know of few applications for it.

Undeniably the 1010 is a nicer AVR, but it really comes down to whether the juice is worth the squeeze. Personally, I do think the 3009 is better than all but the 5010. And I could easily be swayed about the 3009 offering more functionality than the 5010.
Cheers,
J

·
Registered
876 Posts
I would consider stepping up to the TX-NR3010 for the power supply alone. It can be found online for $1600-1700. The improved HDMI, especially the (wife pleasing) convince of CEC would be enough make the leap to the 1010 or 3010.

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
That is a picture of a 5010 as the 3000 Series do not use a Torodial Transformer using EL Core's for all transformers. The 5000 Series use one relatively large Toroidal Transformer and 3 EL Core's.

·
Registered
876 Posts
That is a picture of a 5010 as the 3000 Series do not use a Torodial Transformer using EL Core's for all transformers. The 5000 Series use one relatively large Toroidal Transformer and 3 EL Core's.
The 3010 does have the 4 independent transformers.

As a lower cost but equally good alternative might be the Yamaha Advetage RX-A2010, which can be found for $999 online. Or the Adventage RX-A3010 which goes for about $1300. Both feature HQV video processing. I have an older Yamaha and just love it.

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
The 3010 does have the 4 independent transformers.

As a lower cost but equally good alternative might be the Yamaha Advetage RX-A2010, which can be found for $999 online. Or the Adventage RX-A3010 which goes for about $1300. Both feature HQV video processing. I have an older Yamaha and just love it.
I am aware of that. I have owned 2 different 3000 Series AVR's and while tempted by the 5000 Series, I just could not justify the added expense. Especially considering that I do not use the internal amplifiers.

As for the Aventage, I quite like the A3010 and is an excellent alternative. I do slightly favor the 3009/3010
due to XT32/SubEQ HT. However, the Aventage's have been quite reliable and I also really like that you can switch HDMI sources when the AVR is on standby.

·
Registered
876 Posts
I am aware of that. I have owned 2 different 3000 Series AVR's and while tempted by the 5000 Series, I just could not justify the added expense. Especially considering that I do not use the internal amplifiers.

As for the Aventage, I quite like the A3010 and is an excellent alternative. I do slightly favor the 3009/3010
due to XT32/SubEQ HT. However, the Aventage's have been quite reliable and I also really like that you can switch HDMI sources when the AVR is on standby.

The Yamaha Adventage RX-A3010 is definitely my pick out of this litter. If he's not going beyond 5.1, then there is little need for dual sub EQ.

I would have suggested, Pioneer Elite SC-68 and the only way to get it cheap is to go online. However, there are reports from owners that Pioneer is now only honoring warranties and providing support to owners who purchased from authorized brick and mortar retailers. Online purchases, even from authorized dealers with websites are now said to have a voided warranty.

EDIT: Now that I think about it- Yamaha is kind of like the Porsche of the Audio world: Mass market, high performance, reliable (the every day super car), available to most working men, and even though both are well engineered machines designed by passionate men in their respective markets with their sales numbers are bit of an underdog compared to some of their competitors. And both are bought by very dedicated and loyal (often fanatical) customers whom understand the philosophy behind the design who believe solid (cutting edge) engineering, finesse, and performance are what matter.

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
If Yamaha is a Porsche in your estimation, what would Denon/Marantz be? To me, it would be hard not to think of a Japanese brand like Toyota/Lexus such that Yamaha has been so heavily into myriad DSP Modes for so long. Things like trying to recreate the sound of The Roxy Theater, Village Gate, Warehouse Loft, Cellar Club, Freiburg Cathedral and so forth.

·
Registered
876 Posts
If Yamaha is a Porsche in your estimation, what would Denon/Marantz be? To me, it would be hard not to think of a Japanese brand like Toyota/Lexus such that Yamaha has been so heavily into myriad DSP Modes for so long. Things like trying to recreate the sound of The Roxy Theater, Village Gate, Warehouse Loft, Cellar Club, Freiburg Cathedral and so forth.
Porsche learns to build cars from their racing and racing is the company's main focus. Yamaha learns to build audio electronics from building musical instruments and music is the company's focus; after all the Yamaha logo is a trio of tuning forks.

Denon and Marantz were part of D&M holdings whom once were part of McIntosh. I think Fiat might be the closest? They own Ferrari, Maserati, Fiat (of course), and Chrysler. Maserati is similar to a Ferrari but with luxury comfort instead of the balls out F1 performance being the main focus of Ferrari.

Maserati = McIntosh and their Etched Glass?
Ferrari = Marantz
Denon with all it's horsepower could be closest to an American Muscle Car.

Sony is another company big in to Hall and Concert DSP. As far as DSP effect modes go, I've never been a big fan but of them. But I think Yahama does the best job at it. When you use those Yamaha DSP modes you are also supposed to have front effect speakers hooked up (which i've never done). I'd like to try it one day and use a recording that was made in one of those places like Freiberg, Village Vanguard, etc and use the matching DSP mode to see how it turns out.

·
Registered
876 Posts
:eek:fftopic2:
In all honesty, I don't think there is an automotive analogy that fits Denon and Marantz. General Electric or Whirlpool is about as close as I can think of. Whirlpool bought Maytag and still sells them as a distinct premium brand. Much like GE whom has a separate brand for ultra cheap appliences (forgot the name), as well as regular GE, GE Profile, and another uber high end Label they use (forgot that too).

1 - 20 of 29 Posts