Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have a copy of the current (or recent) firmware for an Onkyo PR-SC886?

I've made a couple calls to Onkyo and they've told me that there aren't any updates and that they don't provide them - unless they're on the web.

I believe that I'm running 1.01 and would like to get 1.04 or 1.05.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just be careful that you don't brick your equipment with incompatible firmware. Good luck.
Thanks. I thought about doing the firmware ages ago but decided to only do it if I had a good reason to -- and now I need to.

I'm not crazy about firmware updates anymore... and unfortunately so many devices have embedded firmware. Even the MyGig in my minivan has firmware. I have yet to brick anything yet...

, I feel like I've upgraded firmware in just about every single device I own at some point or another, short of my microwave and toaster. I had to do a firmware update on a power meter....... heh.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm currently at 1.04 on my SC886. I've found 1.05 but have heard there's a 1.08. Does anyone have that version to share?

Hmm...Zeitgeist, I'd planned to send you a PM but can't find a Private Message button anywhere. I've padded my post numbers but it still hasn't shown up. I'll give it a day or so and try again...

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm currently at 1.04 on my SC886. I've found 1.05 but have heard there's a 1.08. Does anyone have that version to share?

Hmm...Zeitgeist, I'd planned to send you a PM but can't find a Private Message button anywhere. I've padded my post numbers but it still hasn't shown up. I'll give it a day or so and try again...
Hi Zeitgeist,
I'd like to get the Firmware from you. But I also can't find a PM Button.
Hope you read this and can send je the Firmware.
Thank you.

·
Premium Member
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm not aware of a 1.08 for the 886... I believe there is a 1.08 for some other Onkyos.
If someone has 1.08 please let me know! It's murky water as Onkyo isn't very helpful when it comes to firmware. When I called them looking for it, they told me there was no upgrade... and when I left a voicemail for a supervisor I never got a call back. Thus why it's been left largely to the community to provide it.

I do have 1.05 (and 1.04), I've PM'd Mat-cha. Many of them (refurbs at least) shipped with 1.01.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hello.

I have a Onkyo PR-SC886 from Europe. I have checked firmware and I have 1.01 version.

Will be the same PR-SC886 as you have updated with sucess?.

I have downloaded latest firmware from the link and I want to know if it is possible to upgraded DSP and main firmware with only a RS232 cable or also I need a Flashwriter jig cable that I have seen in PDF instructions.

Thanks very much for your help.

Regards.

·
Premium Member
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hello,
I don't know about the European version - and what differences there might be.

For most people, the AVR firmware update is done via RS-232 and the DSP update is done via a burned CD. It can be picky about the CD player (some DVD players work, some don't) -- and it has to be via TOSLINK. No HDMI.

I can't remember if the instructions state it, but the only reason you'd need the flash jig - would be if you have the absolute earliest version that shipped which is pretty rare (I believe).

I upgraded because I wanted to be sure that Audyssey Pro would work -- My recommendation is that unless there is a reason that you need to upgrade -- you don't really gain much. I can't remember if the 886 firmware ever had the DTS bomb or not. I only say this - because if anything goes wrong....... You're stuck with shipping it back to Onkyo for repairs.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I need a copy of the last firmware too, where can I find it?

Thanks for the help and best regards

Marco
Marco, can you let me know if you did the update with success?.

I have an spanish PR-SC886 model, so I guess your Onkyo from Italy must be the same model as mine.

Regards,

·
Registered
7 Posts
If anyone is looking for the firmware, PM me w/your email address.

I'll try to email it to you - as there isn't a good download site to leave the files on..
Is there any way to receive an email with the update, because I cant post links or email addresses with less than 5 post and I can not find a PM button?.

Regards,

1 - 20 of 38 Posts