Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,, I am new to this forum and hope someone can help me. We purchased an onkyo 607 two years ago. It was connected via cabes( yellow, red , white) all worked well until about a month ago. There was sound but no picture while connected to satellite. Xbox ,media player etc all worked fine. My husband switched to the Hdmi connection and we got picture but was missing sound tracks. Example. On I football game you might hear the crowed but no commentary . Or on a movie maybe the music would come through but no voices. Commercials are fairly normal. We did the reset of the machine and worked with cables but no change hdmi. When we turned the projector off and turned it ack on, all was lost again.it is not the satelillite receiver,as we put another in there and it did not work either. Any ideas? Thanks for any help

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
I there, welcome to the Shack.

First of all I need a little more info. Are you using HDMI from the receiver to the TV or projector?

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Ok so in the Onkyo's user menu or on the front face you will have an option to send video out via HDMI "YES or NO" make sure its selected to say YES.
Do you use a 5.1 speaker system or just 2 speakers?

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
Hello,
It sounds like the Center Channel Speaker is not connected or not working. Make sure the connection to the CC is not loose. Likewise, go into the Setup Menu and make sure that the CC is set to yes. If it is still not working go into Listening Modes and select All Channels Stereo. This way you will get dialogue in the meantime.
Hopefully it is just a disconnected cable. Also, using a Red/White/Yellow cable provides you with the worst possible sound quality. Coaxial Digital or Optical Digital will be much better if HDMI is not an option and provides Dolby Digital and DTS. These are both codecs designed for discrete information to all channels.
Cheers,
JJ

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you all sooo much for the responses . Turns out it WAS a loose center speaker. Duh, I mentioned that to my husband several times but he was convinced it was the receiver and was ready to buy a new one. Thanks again, it's nice to know we are not alone in this Ever changing technological world of wires.

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
Thank you all sooo much for the responses . Turns out it WAS a loose center speaker. Duh, I mentioned that to my husband several times but he was convinced it was the receiver and was ready to buy a new one. Thanks again, it's nice to know we are not alone in this Ever changing technological world of wires.
I am glad that is all it turned out to be. It sounded like a classic CC not being connected scenario. So glad that was all it was. Enjoy your HT.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts