Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! I just joined, glad to see that there is a resource like this.

I have an Onkyo SR805 receiver for my projection system. I also have a Genelec sound system (5 x 8020a + 7050b sub). The problem is the genelecs are XLR and the Onkyo is strip wire connection. I was really surprised to see this on the Onkyo (always one important question that I forget to ask before buying...).

From past experience it seems that you could always find some combination of adapters to hook things together but strip-wire puts a kink in that plan.

Is there a way to still use these together? Or should I drop the Onkyo and find a comparable system that accepts XLR? (I will never give up my Genelecs!)

Thanks in advance. -Derryl

·
Senior Shackster
701 Posts
Derryl,

Are the Genelecs internally powered? If they are your best bet is to purchase RCA to XLR adapters from monoprice and then use the pre-outs on the Onkyo.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Dave, thanks. Yes, they are internally powered. If I were to connect them as you suggest, would I still be able to control the volume from receiver? -Derryl

·
Senior Shackster
701 Posts
Hi Derryl,

Yes you would, the pre-out will still send a varying voltage which is the input level to the internal speaker amps. Keep in mind this method generally means you keep the volume knob on each speaker set to a fairly high level all the time and use the receiver to control volume.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Plug the rca pre-outs of the onkyo into a Samson S-Convert and then run the XLR cables to the speakers.

·
Senior Shackster
701 Posts
You'd need three of those boxes if he went that route. That does get you the best balance to unbalanced connection - however you don't necessarily "need" that box for the system to work.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
I run a bunch of powered monitors just this way with monoprice RCA's to XLR's and there is no need of an S-convert. I'd suggest placing all of the in put trims on the Genelec's to their center detent and fine tuning the volumes relative to each other with the reciever. There can be some slight variation in sensitivities and you'll need to compensate for differences in the distance to the LP.

Hum can be a problem.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts