Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am curious if anyone knows the Lineage of the Onkyo AVR line? Specifically from the 876. I am curious to know the continuing models that came after the 876, specifically ones that replaced it each time. Because my 876 has been bumped and beat up over the years from constant moving and vacuuming and other daily life activities. And wanted to see if a slightly newer model is gonna be an upgrade.

I dont wan't the best Onkyo has but the 2nd best was fine. Are the newest ones worth getting with the proprietary onkyo room eq software? Vs the previous Audyssey eq software.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
So the 876 was a powerhouse as was the 805 and so forth. Onkyo has had its share of HDMI board failures but it seems to not be limited to Onkyo any more as other manufacturers have also had it.

Some will swear by Audyssey and even myself have been happy with its results however Ive been doing some testing and have come to realize that EQ applied to the front channel's incorrectly can really mess up imaging and Im beginning to think that Onkyo may be on to something by just EQing the sub and surround channels.

The biggest improvement that has come down the pipe is really the introduction of DTSx and Atmos other than that your Onlyo is still fairly up to date. Im assuming that 3D is not important as personally its not worth it.

·
Registered
581 Posts
I had a 3007 with MultiEQ XT, loved it. Now have a 1010 with MultiEQ TX32, which was a major advancement for my dual sub setup. I loved that one, too. Unfortunately, both units had HDMI failures at 2 years old followed by Audyssey system failures (calibration did not work, would not complete the setup process) within a year after the HDMI board replacement. Even more unfortunately, while Onkyo took care of the HDMI issue for both units (no real surprise there as they may have been run out of business if they didn't) they did nothing for the Audyssey failures. Even more aggravating is spending literally 4 hours on hold over 6 phone calls and having one of their technical support staff actually suggest to me that I simply "live without" Audyssey MultiEQ XT32. Huh?

One of my friends had an Onkyo, bought on my recommendation, but it also had an HDMI board failure. Unfortunately, that model was not included in their One Time Warranty Extension program to fix the HDMI board and he had to replace it.

I've seen a lot of frustration with Onkyo owners online. On one hand, based on my own experience, I think this is an issue with Onkyo. On the other hand, I'm concerned that this is a trend among electronic manufacturers to build junk with good looking specs that will last just long enough to outlive most consumers' need to upgrade. It's a real shame if you can't count on a $1-2k piece of equipment to last more than 3 years, in a fairly light duty environment to boot.

Rant off.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts