Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 357 Posts

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Onkyo TX-NR1007, TX-NR3007 and TX-NR5007 THX™ Ultra2 Plus™ Certified 9.2 Channel Network Receivers: Official Thread

[img]http://www.onkyousa.com/images/common/product_images/Receiver/TX-NR5007(B)MDC_FR.jpg[/img]

TX-NR5007

Top-of-the-Line Networking Powerhouse Sets the Standard

As Onkyo’s flagship model for the network generation, the TX-NR5007 offers a mouthwatering feature set designed to satisfy even the most demanding home theater purist. The expanded 9.2-channel configuration allows you to enjoy multi-zone playback as well as the latest surround formats by Dolby, DTS, and Audyssey. Advanced networking capability, meanwhile, enables you to incorporate PC-based audio and internet radio into your home theater set-up. Video signals fed through this receiver get the luxury treatment, thanks to HQV Reon-VX processing, ISF calibration, and 1080p upscaling of all video sources via HDMI™ 1.3a. In the engine room, the TX-NR5007 boasts an impressive array of audiophile-grade components, including large, customized transistors to drive high currents and 22,000 ?F capacitors to support a huge and stable power supply. Add to that high-quality 32-bit Burr-Brown DACs; ultra-low-jitter circuitry; and independent power supplies for amp, video, and audio circuitry, and you have a networking powerhouse equipped to deliver an immaculate A/V performance every time.

Special Features

• THX Ultra2 Plus certified
  • HDMI V1.3a repeater (8in (1 front)/2out (simultaneous), 1080p compatible)
  • HDMI 1080p upscaling powered by HQV Reon-VX
  • Dolby PLIIz Processing
  • Dolby Volume
  • Audyssey DSX Surround processing
  • isf Video Calibration
  • Component Video Upscaling (up to 1080i)
  • Front and rear USB inputs
Power Output
Front L/R = 145 W + 145 W (8 ohms, 20 Hz–20 kHz, 0.05%, 2 channels driven, FTC)
Center = 145 W (8 ohms, 20 Hz–20 kHz, 0.05%, 2 channels driven, FTC)
Surround L/R = 145 W + 145 W (8 ohms, 20 Hz–20 kHz, 0.05%, 2 channels driven, FTC)
Surround Back L/R = 145 W + 145 W (8 ohms, 20 Hz–20 kHz, 0.05%, 2 channels driven, FTC)
Front High/ Wide = 145 W + 145 W (8 ohms, 20 Hz–20 kHz, 0.05%, 2 channels driven, FTC)

Dynamic Power
400 W (3 ohms, 1 ch)
300 W (4 ohms, 1 ch)
180 W (8 ohms, 1 ch)

THD (Total Harmonic Distortion) = 0.05% (Rated power)
Damping Factor = 60 (Front, 1 kHz, 8 ohms)
Input Sensitivity and Impedance = 200 mV/47 k-ohms (Line) 2.5 mV/47 k-ohms (Phone MM)
Output Level and Impedance = 200 mV/470 ohms
Phono Overload = 70 mV (MM, 1 kHz, 0.5%)
Frequency Response = 5 Hz–100 kHz/+1 dB, -3 dB (Direct mode)
Tone Control = ±10 dB, 50 Hz (Bass) ±10 dB, 20 kHz (Treble)
Signal-to-Noise Ratio = 110 dB (Line, IHF-A)
Speaker Impedance = 4 ohms–16 ohms or 6 ohms–16 ohms

Downloads (Manuals and Firmware Updates)

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: The Official Onkyo TX-NR1007, TX-NR3007 and TX-NR5007 THX Ultra2 Plus 9.2 Channel Receivers Thr

TX-NR3007

A Networking Powerhouse That Brings High-End Performance to a Wider Audience Than Ever

In one powerhouse unit, the TX-NR3007 combines the finesse and flexibility of a ballerina with the balance and brawn of a sumo wrestler. 9.2 audio channels expand the possibilities both for multi-zone playback and for the new surround dimensions of Audyssey DSX™ and Dolby® Pro Logic® IIz. Advanced networking capability, meanwhile, lets you bring streaming internet radio and PC-based music files into your home entertainment set-up. Digital audio signals are converted by Onkyo’s VLSC™ into smooth, noiseless analog waveforms, while selected Audyssey and Dolby technologies maintain a well-balanced frequency response and dynamic range at any volume. Video processing on the TX-NR3007 is also second to none, with 1080p upscaling of any video source via HQV Reon-VX. To witness Onkyo’s renowned attention to build quality, check out the fully isolated power amp and pre-pro, along with the independent power supplies for system, video, and audio circuitry. In short, if you’re serious about building a home entertainment network on the firmest possible foundations, look no further than the TX-NR3007.

Special Features

• HDMI V1.3a repeater (7in (1 front)/2out (simultaneous), 1080p compatible)
  • HDMI 1080p upscaling powered by HQV Reon-VX
  • Dolby PLIIz Processing
  • Dolby Volume
  • isf Video Calibration
  • Front USB input
Power Output
Front L/R = 140 W + 140 W (8 ohms, 20 Hz–20 kHz, 0.05%, 2 channels driven, FTC)
Center = 140 W (8 ohms, 20 Hz–20 kHz, 0.05%, 2 channels driven, FTC)
Surround L/R = 140 W + 140 W (8 ohms, 20 Hz–20 kHz, 0.05%, 2 channels driven, FTC)
Surround Back L/R = 140 W + 140 W (8 ohms, 20 Hz–20 kHz, 0.05%, 2 channels driven, FTC)
Front High/ Wide = 140 W + 140 W (8 ohms, 20 Hz–20 kHz, 0.05%, 2 channels driven, FTC)

Dynamic Power
320 W (3 ohms, 1 ch)
270 W (4 ohms, 1 ch)
160 W (8 ohms, 1 ch)

Input Sensitivity and Impedance = 200 mV/47 k-ohms (Line) 2.5 mV/47 k-ohms (Phone MM)

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: The Official Onkyo TX-NR1007, TX-NR3007 and TX-NR5007 THX Ultra2 Plus 9.2 Channel Receivers Thr

TX-NR1007

A Networking Powerhouse That Brings High-End Performance to a Wider Audience Than Ever

As Onkyo’s first ever 9.2-channel receiver, the TX-NR1007 combines network capability and advanced A/V processing with a myriad of surroundsound speaker possibilities. For instance, you can use Audyssey DSX™ or Dolby® Pro Logic® IIz to create an expanded, more immersive 9-channel soundstage for games and movies. Alternatively, you can supplement one of several different 7.2-channel set-ups in your main room with 2-channel sound in a second room. Along with the assurance of THX® Ultra2 Plus certification, the TX-NR1007 brings greater convergence to your home entertainment. Audio files from a networked PC or streaming internet radio can be fed to the receiver, and then processed and output with customary Onkyo power and fidelity. Audyssey MultiEQ™ XT ensures a well-balanced, room-matching speaker set-up, while ISF video calibration and 1080p upscaling via Faroudja DCDi Cinema™ work to get the most out of your video sources. Merely cherry-picking the specs, though, doesn’t do justice to this mighty receiver—we suggest giving it an audition and letting your own eyes and ears be the judge.

Special Features

• HDMI V1.3a repeater (6in/2out (simultaneous), 1080p compatible)
  • Dolby PLIIz Processing
  • isf Calibration
  • HDMI 1080p upscaling powered by Faroujda DCDi Cinema
Power Output
Front L/R = 135 W + 135 W (8 ohms, 20 Hz–20 kHz, 0.05%, 2 channels driven, FTC)
Center = 135 W (8 ohms, 20 Hz–20 kHz, 0.05%, 2 channels driven, FTC)
Surround L/R = 135 W + 135 W (8 ohms, 20 Hz–20 kHz, 0.05%, 2 channels driven, FTC)
Surround Back L/R = 135 W + 135 W (8 ohms, 20 Hz–20 kHz, 0.05%, 2 channels driven, FTC)
Front High/ Wide = 135 W + 135 W (8 ohms, 20 Hz–20 kHz, 0.05%, 2 channels driven, FTC)

Dynamic Power
320 W (3 ohms, 1 ch)
270 W (4 ohms, 1 ch)
160 W (8 ohms, 1 ch)

·
Banned
4,015 Posts

I dont know how Onkyo do it for the price these units are going for, they must have nearly every feature going, its also good to see the inclusion of Dolby Volume, which is rather good tbh...and I could not live without it now on my Arcam...

·
Banned
601 Posts
These new three A/V Receivers from Onkyo are simply marvelous.

All three of them are true power houses. They have all the latest features and more...
And I'll bet the 5007 will become a force to be reckon with, in the A/V receivers industry,
and will have no equal in the value department.
The build quality is superb. Inside, they are truly a piece of art.

The 5007 has six Burr-Brown PCM-1795 Dacs (192-khz/32-bit).
And it has three newer Ti DSP chips, HQV Reon VX video processor of course.
It weights 55.8 lbs, and is rated at 12.8 A. It has two 22,000 uF capacitors.

The 3007 for less money, is also amazing. But the 5007 is the true King.

And the 1007 is a good value for less than a grand (street).

* As time goes, I hope we read more reviews about these.
But reading from owners, they are extremely satisfied. I will like to see here comments from direct owners, in particular the 3007 & 5007, with a touch more on the 5007. :)

** Thanks Sonnie for starting what could become a great thread.

Bob

·
Banned
601 Posts
I'd love to see a showdown between the Onkyo TX-NR5007 and the Denon AVR-4810CI.
I think these two are way up the ladder of A/V Receivers.

Anyone with first hand experience between these two Goliaths?

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
I've not had experience with either of those specific models, but I've had experience with the Onkyo TX-NR805 and the Denon 4308CI. Very similar comparison to the ones you are questioning.

Almost each instance I could think of, I preferred the sound of the Denon, but of course, the price of the Denon was a good deal higher, too. Price doesn't equate to performance, but for my personal preference the Denon was more pleasing.

·
Banned
601 Posts
Thanks Jon for the feedback.

I also agree with you about the big price difference concerning the 805 vs the 4308CI.
* By the way, I own the 805. :bigsmile:

I also agree that each individual could tell the difference in audio quality between two receivers.
In your case you like more the Denon. (I also own the 3805 :bigsmile:).
I think that your speakers have a lot to do with this, as for matching with the right receiver.

* But, some people really believe that they sound all the same! And they really stick to their guns.
By the way, I'm not one of them.

As for the 5007 vs the 4810CI, so far, they both have problems with audio drop outs and Ethernet connectivity issues (from what I've been reading).
But if we only take the audio quality, again, it all depends of your speakers. I think they are both equally excellent.
But, and this is a big but, the 5007 could be had for $1,599, and the 4810CI for $1,999 at the very best (and I'm not even sure if you can score it at that price).
So, the 5007 has a great value advantage here.
Oh, and the 5007 weights 55.1 lbs, vs the 4810CI's 42.1 lbs, if it does make any difference.
Also, the maximum power consumption from the 5007 is 12.8 A, vs the 4810CI's 9.5 A.
But I know as much as you that this don't bear anything with sound quality.

** And if we're talking about sound quality in a receiver, regardless of price, I do believe that the Arcam AVR600 is the true leader here. But it does cost much more. But in my book, it is definitively worth it. I don't have first hand experience with it, I only go from what I read.
I think John (recruit) knows more about this than I.

Nice chatting with you Jon & best regards,
Bob

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hello!
I am definitely one of the most interested people in Onkyo receivers. To be precise, in 5507. Ok it's a processor, but all the same. They are pure quality, power, technology and brutal looks!
Anyway, what Onkyos are missing, but 5507 has, is 12v triggers for power amps!
I know there is zone 2/3 12v trigger...
All that electronics and you cannot trigger power amp in main zone! Why? Isn't that flaw?
And second thing, their receivers, including 5507, do not have digital (optical or coaxial) output! None!
What if I have Mini Disc recorder or DVD recorder? I do, by the way...
That is very annoying...
Those two details (or one in case of 5507) are only reasons why I still surf occasionally on Denon and Pioneer sites untill I buy one.
Such a shame... :rolleyesno:

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have been enjoying TX-NR3007 for last almost 3 months. However, one thing that has started to really bug me now is that I am not able to stream lossless formats (except for WAV) neither from my Windows 7 desktop nor from the receiver. If I put FLAC files on a USB thumbdrive then the receiver would play it without any problems. However, the way user manual explains, it sounds like receiver should be able to play FLAC files over the network connection. Earlier, it would not even list FLAC files stored on my laptop. However, I have followed instructions to be able to play flac files through WMPv12. However, I still haven't been able to play FLAC files over the network connection. Now, the receiver does list all the files, but it won't be able to play them.

Can you please share your experience whether any one of you have been able to stream FLAC files to TX-NR3007 successfully? If yes, please share attributes of the file.

·
Banned
4,015 Posts
Hi viperflyer and welcome to the Shack :T have you emailed Onkyo support and asked them this question as it may be an issue that they could help with if there are not any other owners here that can help you here, I never managed to stream audio through my old 905 but I never really used it for that purpose but I have been doing it through my Arcam...

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Welcome to the Shack, Viper! My experience with all my network streaming receivers or pre/pros is they were sketchy at best. They worked "OK' but never worked great. They were very finicky and it was very basic as to what you could do anyway, which is why I went the route of a dedicated audio streaming system, the Logitech Squeezebox. Not sure if you are looking to spend anymore money, but they are a great route to go, if you are looking for a very capable (and good sounding) audio streaming solution!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi viperflyer and welcome to the Shack :T have you emailed Onkyo support and asked them this question as it may be an issue that they could help with if there are not any other owners here that can help you here, I never managed to stream audio through my old 905 but I never really used it for that purpose but I have been doing it through my Arcam...
Thank you!

I have called Onkyo and had a ticket created earlier today. Unfortunately, the person I spoke with was not able to help me right away and assured that he will get back to me after researching the subject more. Seemed like he didn't know that WMP does not have FLAC support right out of the box. This is a weird issue as I am able to play FLAC through USB disk, after FLAC codec installation, I can see the FLAC files through the receiver, but it just doesn't play over the network - very weird. It plays all the other lossy formats.

If it doesn't work then I might have to spend more money on other streaming dedicated solutions.

·
Banned
4,015 Posts
Thank you!

I have called Onkyo and had a ticket created earlier today. Unfortunately, the person I spoke with was not able to help me right away and assured that he will get back to me after researching the subject more. Seemed like he didn't know that WMP does not have FLAC support right out of the box. This is a weird issue as I am able to play FLAC through USB disk, after FLAC codec installation, I can see the FLAC files through the receiver, but it just doesn't play over the network - very weird. It plays all the other lossy formats.

If it doesn't work then I might have to spend more money on other streaming dedicated solutions.
Let us know how you get on viperflyer as it will be interesting to find out what Onkyo say for others who may benefit on the forum :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had given up on streaming FLAC until today. It seems like without transcoding capability, it would be impossible to stream FLAC files out of the box. Recently I rebuilt my pc with 64bit OS, I tried FUPPES and am finally able to stream FLAC Files to my Onkyo. I did have to change the config file as it seems like FUPPES doesn't have streaming FLAC files turned on right out of the box. Attached below is my config file in case someone wants to try out FUPPES. I changed ENABLE_DLNA tag from FALSE to TRUE and removed all the other picture and movie file settings.

If you are trying to solve the same problem I had and if you want to try out this config, remember it won't allow you to stream images and movie files. While trying this new config file, change the shared directory path and make sure you save it in the FUPPES folder in USER\username\AppData\Roaming and rename file from txt to cfg. You will also need to rebuild the database.

Forgot to mention that for transcoding to work, one would need to download lame_enc.dll file and store it in the FUPPES install directory.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi everyone. I'm new to the forum and definately still learning. I just purchased a pc ultra 13 sub and looking to setup a 7.1 system using the MTS-01 speakers from SVS and was wondering if the TX-NR3007would be a good enough receiver for the setup that I am going to run. Any and all help is welcome. Thank you for your time.

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
Hi everyone. I'm new to the forum and definately still learning. I just purchased a pc ultra 13 sub and looking to setup a 7.1 system using the MTS-01 speakers from SVS and was wondering if the TX-NR3007would be a good enough receiver for the setup that I am going to run. Any and all help is welcome. Thank you for your time.
Hello,
Goat77, welcome to HomeTheaterShack. The TX-NR3007 would be an excellent choice for your Speakers. The 3007 weighs over 50 pounds and has a very solid amplifier section that passed THX's stringent Ultra2 Plus Certification.

Combined with the fantastic Subwoofer you have with Audyssey MultEQ XT, fantastic Video Processing, and one of the most comprehensive feature sets on the Market. I really think you would have a awesome HT if topped off with the 3007.
Cheers,
JJ

·
Registered
4 Posts
Welcome to HTS.

I have used my Onkyo NR-3007 for both music listening and have enjoyed movies. I have been happy with it without any doubts. It costs much less than Denon and the sound quality is comparable. The speakers you are going with, seems decent - efficiency seems 87 dB - a little on a lower side for the price you would have to pay. This might be noticeable only if you prefer listening to music at low volume levels otherwise, I personally don't think it really matters that much when you are considering a powerful receiver such as 3007. Though, depending on your room, Onkyo has very powerful Audessey system to correct any issues with the room acoustics.

It has enough expandability for future when movies start getting released in PLIIz. Even without movies encoded with height channel, this AVR does a great job projecting vertical dimension to the soundtrack, though you need to purchase additional pair of surround speakers.

It has plenty of HDMI inputs and a great video processor from HQV, which comes in handy if you have a good DVD collection and need them upconverted to enjoy on a FullHD screen.

If you don't care for the height channel and second duplicating LFE channel, then I would still consider looking at Onkyo's earlier generation AVR TX-NR875 or NR905.

You can't go wrong with it.

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
Hello,
With a Subwoofer like the PC13-Ultra, I would crossover everything at 80 Hz. By doing so, the 3007 will be relieved of low bass reproduction and have more current to drive the midrange and highs of the MTS-01.

Even though the MTS-01 will go far lower than 80 Hz, SVS recommends an 80 Hz Crossover when combined with the 13 Ultra. As does THX and Audyssey in general practice. It really will give more headroom for all the Speakers and the Subwoofer is a gem.
Cheers,
JJ

1 - 20 of 357 Posts