Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

Onkyo TX-NR509 HDMI board dead. Replacement options?

55K views 31 replies 8 participants last post by  bilditup1 
#1 ·
So it seems the HDMI board on my TX-NR509 is dead, which apparently is a common issue. I'd hate to scrap the whole receiver but I've been having trouble locating the replacement part online. Does anyone know where I can buy one? Or is it likely to cost more than the receiver itself?

#4 ·
Give them a call on Monday, just saying, it's not Memorial day anywhere else but the US. Can you check with a Canadian office?

I wish you luck on this matter as I understand about trashing perfectly good gear with nothing but a minor PC board problem. In the meantime, can you switch over from HDMI to some RCA jacks?

In reading, I came across a suggestion about unplugging the AVR for thirty seconds and this will cause a HDMI reset. Have you tried unplugging the unit?

#5 ·
OK, Jose Torrez is the go to guy for this problem and he has been giving people out of warranty repairs for the HDMI boards to be replaced. I will get his email address and post it here as soon as I find it. :T

#6 ·
Unfortunately the RCA jacks won't work for me as my setup is somewhat unique. I have my TV about 15 feet away from the receiever (receiver is next to the couch) via a HDMI cable running through the wall. The TV is only used as a monitor and all my sources connect through the receiver. I'm making do by plugging the TV's HDMI cable into the sources directly but this is only temporary.

I'll try calling the canadian office tomorrow. Good thinking.

#8 ·
OK here it is jose.torres@us.onkyo.com. He has answered people on the weekend so email him today. He will need your serial number of the unit and reciept if you still have it but if not I think he has worked around that. Good luck. :T

#10 ·
OK here it is.He has answered people on the weekend so email him today. He will need your serial number of the unit and reciept if you still have it but if not I think he has worked around that. Good luck. :T
Thank you very much. I'll let you know what happens.

Did you try unplugging and do a thirty second reset?
Not yet. The power cord is a bit difficult to get to on my setup. I'll give it a try when I get home before I do anything else.

#14 ·
Not without killing the power to the whole apartment. My building was built in the 1930's back when they didn't believe in separate circuits. I don't even have access to the breaker panel. I learned that lesson the hard way by using the microwave while my husband was vacuuming.

#16 ·
If Onkyo can't help you, audiovideo410 on ebay fixes these and adds heatsinks to the problematic chips for $65. You just have to pull the board and send to him (pretty easy to do, I had the board in my 609 out in a matter of minutes). Then send via USPS medium flat rate box for $11. Not a free fix but better than nothing.

#17 ·
Ok so the 30 second reset didn't help. I also tried a firmware update and a factory reset. Same thing. No output to TV.

If Onkyo can't help you, audiovideo410 on ebay fixes these and adds heatsinks to the problematic chips for $65. You just have to pull the board and send to him (pretty easy to do, I had the board in my 609 out in a matter of minutes). Then send via USPS medium flat rate box for $11. Not a free fix but better than nothing.

Read more: http://www.hometheatershack.com/for...dead-replacement-options-2.html#ixzz32nIOU0lC
This is another good idea. I shot him a message. To be honest I'm not looking for a free-fix considering it's a 2+year old unit. I have no problem paying for the part to repair it, but for it to be discontinued is absurd. A $65 fix works for me.

#18 ·
Ok so the 30 second reset didn't help. I also tried a firmware update and a factory reset. Same thing. No output to TV. This is another good idea. I shot him a message. To be honest I'm not looking for a free-fix considering it's a 2+year old unit. I have no problem paying for the part to repair it, but for it to be discontinued is absurd. A $65 fix works for me.
I would hold off doing anything until Onkyo (Jose) gets back with you. From what I've read Onkyo is offering one time out of warranty fixes on the HDMI boards. Just because your AVR is 2+ years old doesn't mean squat since this was obviously a design flaw. I would fully expect Onkyo to repair mine and if it happens to mine they will. Mine has yet to have any problems and if it does I'll be covered with my extended warranty.

#20 · (Edited)
I spoke too soon, my repaired 609 stopped making sound today. Did a reset and everything but no luck. Back to square one.

Edit: Just performed the VCR/Power factory reset and I have sound again! Proceeding with caution...

2nd Edit: Yep, she's dead. Just emailed Jose...

#26 ·
Great, I didn't see your other post that said that...:whistling:

#27 ·
Another big High Five to Onkyo Customer service :):TT

#28 ·
I think that high five should deservedly go to Jose Torres because there have been a good number of horror stories dealing with Onkyo CS. Not trying to rain on Onkyo's Customer Service but there have been some horror stories with this issue. I just hope my Onkyo TX-NR809 continues its faithful service.

#29 ·
Ive heard of others on here who have dealt directly with other Onkyo customer service reps and gotten great service as well for out of warranty repairs, I do wonder if its how the first contact is made and weather the customer is decent or not.

#30 ·
There are horror stories with all brands at times. I ran service departments for dealers for over 20 years and negotiated hundreds of thousands of dollars in out of warranty accomodations. Different manufacturers are responsive at different times, depending on when they perceive a problem that will affect sales. This is one that clearly, Onkyo has recognized is significant to their botton line. It may not have been so just a few months or a year ago.

Bottom line is that you never get anything if you don't ask, and sometimes it takes asking repeatedly througg every channel you can find. Very few manufacturers never respond at all, but it may not be when you have a problem. It also helps to be humble and reasonable, not virulent and rude.

#31 ·
There are horror stories with all brands at times. I ran service departments for dealers for over 20 years and negotiated hundreds of thousands of dollars in out of warranty accomodations. Different manufacturers are responsive at different times, depending on when they perceive a problem that will affect sales. This is one that clearly, Onkyo has recognized is significant to their botton line. It may not have been so just a few months or a year ago. Bottom line is that you never get anything if you don't ask, and sometimes it takes asking repeatedly througg every channel you can find. Very few manufacturers never respond at all, but it may not be when you have a problem. It also helps to be humble and reasonable, not virulent and rude.
So very true Leonard. I view every situation with any CS Rep as a conversation I would have with a friend. Keep it friendly and engaging and more times than not good things happen.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.