Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Onkyo tx nr709 has THX and dolby volume along with multieq xt and ipod capable but no airplay. Denon 1912 has no THX nor dolby volume but does have multex xt and airplay for ipod. For the money I would go with Onkyo because it has alot more features but as far as sound goes whats better?

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
The Amplification section in the Onkyo is also stronger and the remote control on the onkyo is much nicer.

·
Registered
4,127 Posts
Actually I have both in the pipeline for review. I'm working on the Denon now and the airplay is very nice to have. I can stream Spotify from my iPhone directly to the receiver. The sound quality is excellent and the Audyssey XT interface is a lot more refined then past Denon units. I am actually planning on setting up the 709 this evening if you're not in a hurry I can send you my comparative impressions in a day or so.

·
Registered
72 Posts
With processing turned off they should sound pretty much the same and since they both use the same flavor of room correction they should sound pretty close to the same with processing turned on as well. Where they differ is the 27lb TX-NR709 has a really solid amplifier section with support for 4 ohm speakers and preouts so that you can add an external amp should you ever desire one. A closer match would be the 24lb 105w Denon AVR-2312CI although it still lacks preouts. That's not a slam on the Denon, they make great receivers, just a missing feature.

As far as Airplay goes I've never used it (I'm not a Pod person) but Onkyo does offer both an iPod dock and a free streaming and remote control app. I can't see myself streaming lossy music to my home system but this may be one of those areas where I just don't get it.

For what it's worth I just upgraded my family room system from an older TX-NR906 to a new TX-NR809 (acting as a pre/pro) and I'm pretty impressed with its features.

·
Premium Member
4,363 Posts
The Onkyo doesn't have AirPlay however it does support DLNA. I stream all of my iPhone/iPod music files this way and it works flawlessly.

·
Registered
4,127 Posts
I setup the 709 last night and confirmed several theories I had based on the specs of each unit. First off, these are two different class of receivers. The overall power of the Onkyo can't be denied and having the extra overhead that comes with that additional power gives the Onkyo an edge as far as the overall fidelity is concerned. Second, the Airplay is a really nice function to have however; I don't really miss it because I have a $99 Apple TV to stream my iTunes library to as well as video streaming which Airplay on the Denon does not support. The other thing I liked about the Onkyo is that it supports Spotify locally so there is no need to stream from my iPhone.

In my opinion, the ability to run 4 Ohm speakers off isn't a selling point because I am a firm believer that there isn't a receiver on the market that can adequately power 4 ohm speakers when directly compared to an outboard amp. That being said, the Onkyo does have the pre-outs available to do that as to where the Denon doesn't.

The Denon is a great sounding mid-range receiver, but the 709 has better overall fidelity. I would go with the Onkyo personally.

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Good to know thanks. So with Denon's Airplay you don't have to connect the ipod to the receiver and with Onkyo 709 you have to connect to the reciever right? Also how usefull is the THX thats on board the Onkyo 709?

·
Registered
4,127 Posts
You are correct about the Airplay, but with DLNA you can stream from your PC.

THX is sort of a fickle thing. Personally I don't really use it that often, others swear by it.

Both receivers sound great so there really isn't a 'bad' choice between the two. If you like the appeal of the Airplay then I say go for it. I am a huge fan of the Apple stuff because it is something that doesn't require me to be home to turn it on for the non-technical family members.

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My speakers at Proficient brand and they are 75 watts. My current receiver is Denon avr 1611 and does 75 watts. If I get a receiver that can do over 75 watts say 110 watts will it harm the speakers?

·
Premium Member
4,363 Posts
asere said:
Good to know thanks. So with Denon's Airplay you don't have to connect the ipod to the receiver and with Onkyo 709 you have to connect to the reciever right? Also how usefull is the THX thats on board the Onkyo 709?
You don't need any wires/cables to connect your Apple device if you utilize the DLNA feature. Turn on the wi-fi and the receiver and said Apple product will connect or link together. Your iTunes library will then show on your tv and you can scroll and play. Again as I said it works flawlessly.

·
Premium Member
4,363 Posts
asere said:
My speakers at Proficient brand and they are 75 watts. My current receiver is Denon avr 1611 and does 75 watts. If I get a receiver that can do over 75 watts say 110 watts will it harm the speakers?
No it will not. It's better to have more power than not enough. Underpowered speakers are more likely to clip and therefore more chance of damage to the speaker.

·
Registered
4,127 Posts
Thanks for clearing up the DLNA Jeff, I should have proofed my post better before posting as I failed to answer the USB question in my response. Much Appreciated!

·
Premium Member
4,363 Posts
Dale Rasco said:
Thanks for clearing up the DLNA Jeff, I should have proofed my post better before posting as I failed to answer the USB question in my response. Much Appreciated!
Not a problem. The AirPlay feature is really not needed with DLNA. The Onks will stream the apple tunes. :)

·
Registered
72 Posts
You don't need any wires/cables to connect your Apple device if you utilize the DLNA feature. Turn on the wi-fi and the receiver and said Apple product will connect or link together. Your iTunes library will then show on your tv and you can scroll and play. Again as I said it works flawlessly.
+1 I tested it with my android phone last night and my phone acted as remote control and streamed music wirelessly to my receiver using my wifi network. It was completely idiot simple.

·
Registered
4,127 Posts
He means underpowered such as when you run 4 ohm speakers on a receiver that can't handle it, the speakers will start popping and could be damaged.

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So basically it is ok to get a receiver that puts out more watts than the speakers. Receiver say 110 watts and speakers 75 watts?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts